Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Bridge Bender (heavy load in Alberta)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bridge Bender (heavy load in Alberta)

Check out this load, they are hauling a coker that was built in Edmonton and hauling it to Fort McMurray. There is one truck pulling and two pushing. Total weight is 798,940 kgs or 1,757,688 lbs. Have a good look at the bridge as it goes over it bends.
Attached Thumbnails Bridge Bender (heavy load in Alberta)-mamoet-2.jpg   Bridge Bender (heavy load in Alberta)-mamoet-3.jpg   Bridge Bender (heavy load in Alberta)-mamoet-4.jpg  
Old 04-24-2008, 10:11 PM

Woah,

Useless filler to comply with message length rules....
Old 04-24-2008, 10:14 PM
Banned

We just bid 5 overwidth loads going from Corpus the Edmonton CA. But nothing near whats in that pic. Its amazing things that big can even be moved.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:47 PM

Ha good pics here's a few more i was meaning to post these but never got time.
Attached Thumbnails Bridge Bender (heavy load in Alberta)-bridge.jpg   Bridge Bender (heavy load in Alberta)-bridge-2.jpg   Bridge Bender (heavy load in Alberta)-bridge-3.jpg  
Old 04-24-2008, 11:52 PM

I've seen some pretty heavy stuff moved....Kind of surprised they didn't use a jack truck under the bridge...which is a big truck with rams that support the bridge for heavy loads.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:54 PM
alwaysonDTR

i could hear the rivets poping on the bridge in my head
Old 04-25-2008, 12:06 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Alwaysworking
i could hear the rivets poping on the bridge in my head
Which leads up to the question. Why are the rivets popping on the bridge in your head?

And why do you have a bridge in there anyway.

Buddy of mine sent me those pics about a week ago. several more on the bridge from different angles. Pretty impressive stuff for sure.

Man, if people really knew what heavy haul trailers were made of, and how they are put together, nobody would drive on the same roads...
Old 04-25-2008, 12:14 AM
alwaysonDTR

i overloaded them with knowage from reading this site,and the weight just pulls out the rivets, and there are 2 more that go to my ears, thats how i can hear the rivets popping
Old 04-25-2008, 09:47 AM

It looks like the bridge design engineers expected the loads going up to Fort McMurray with the size of those I-beams!

Do the highway's dept engineers come by after and do an inspection on the bridge prior to any subsequent trafic travelling on it?
Old 04-25-2008, 02:05 PM
ICL

It takes two years of planning and logistics to make a move like that. Engineers will walk the bridge with the load. They will also remove all push trucks off the trailer as well to cut down on weight surounding the load. The only thing that will be on the bridge will be the main drive truck, the trailer and load. All pilots, push trucks, are not allowed on the bridge at the same time. This one is large but still not the biggest.

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/ex...vy_hauling.htm

My brother worked on this one. One day they were crawling along and greenpeace jumped out of the ditch and climbed the trailer and chained themselves to the load out of protest. Brother says it was around -35 c without the wind chill he justs say it was darn cold. I guess they all got a chuckle watching greenpeace frezze their butts off for 8 hours.