Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Boots

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, $250-$300 is a little bit much for me. I might try some CAT boots. After hearing about you some of you guys I am probably not that rough on my boots afterall
Old 03-02-2005, 10:54 PM

Come to Texas and get some custom made cowboy boots!They are fit to your foot and they can customize them any way you want.And plus they are only $850 a pair!But they are the most comfortable thing you have ever had on.And they last forever.Just a high initial investment.
Old 03-02-2005, 11:01 PM

good info but one thing though, hes looking for steel toed work boots....
Old 03-03-2005, 02:36 AM

Im redwing all the way.............all the way, they dont make better. If you want a boot that goes anywhere. GET REDWINGS
Old 03-03-2005, 08:36 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have worn Redwings, Rockies, and HH and I wouldl have to say the Rockies are the best I have ever had. Kinda Suprised no-one else has mentioned them.
My RedWings only lasted about a year before the soles fell off.
The DoubleH were comfortable but only made it about 8 months before the leather split open( yes, I keep them oiled)
The ROCKIES I wear at work have lasted 3 years so far, and only cost me about $140.
I recently got a pair of western style Rockies for wearing here at the house, they are very comfortable and on sale were around $100.
I have a pair of Ariat lace-ups, but dont wear them often, cause they are a pain to take on and off when going from teh sandy training pen or dirt floored barn into the house.( The BOSS woudl shoot me if I wore my boots into the house)
Old 03-03-2005, 06:22 PM

I wear tall safety toe Danner's at home, and a pair of safety toe Georgia Boot at work. Both Gore-Tex, warm and comfortable. The Danner's did take a while to break in though.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:07 PM

I have worn Danners for the past 15 years (military). I love them. I used one pair so long the Gore-Tex inside began breaking down and started leaking.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:53 PM

Went for the CATs until I can afford $250 on boots.

$89 with free shipping, not bad. They got the FX and the ANSI steel toe.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:44 PM

Red wings are awesome boots! I have owned a few pair and I can't complain at all.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try White's! http://www.whitesoutdoor.com/boots.php
Old 03-09-2005, 05:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Go Red Wing!

Originally posted by 96_12V
I am currently wearing a pair of Cat boots I picked up at Fleet Farm in Wisconsin for around $70 or so. Seem fine, but....They are a shoddy, uncomfortable, temporary replacement for my 8-year old pair of RedWings that cost $125 8 years ago. Finally the leather upper started splitting through and walking through a wet Horse pasture in the spring, well, you know...

The Red Wings completely spoiled me for anything else, they fit sooooooo well. They only got better with age, if only I would have kept up oiling them, I would still wear them daily. Did loose a little leather on top of the steel toe, otherwise zip, zero, nada problems in eight years of hard, nearly daily use on concrete and around lots of oil, fuel and coolant. Well worth the money spent, will buy another pair when financially able too.

The Cat boots fit alright, but really are much more uncomfortable to wear a full day then the Red Wings. You sort of get what you pay for. They suffice for now, but I'll invest in the better boots, and save my feet, as soon as possible. Just my $.02, sorry for the long post--I don't like uncomfortable feet; I'm a runner and know that good shoes are very very important for the health of your feet, legs, back, sholdiers, etc. Good luck!
I have a pair of Cats that I bought because I thought they looked cool and were tough. They did, and they are. But they are also the most uncomfortable pair of boots I've ever had. Horrible. They never get worn except for thing like yardwork where I don't want to ruin any OTHER pair of footwear.

As a military career guy, I've worn lots of boots. I've had Matterhorn (good boots), Corcoran, Bates, Danner, and the GI issue ones.

I'd say the best pair I've had to date is the Red Wings I have right now. I have been completely spoiled!

Danners USED to be favored among the military, but quality took a dive about 5 years ago , and they have fallen out of favor.

The Matterhorns (made by Cove shoe company) were decent in quality and insulation, but not fit. Nonetheless, I wore them when I was teaching USAF survival, and when the ONLY part of you that's warm and dry is your feet, you'll be thankful for decent boots!

The Red Wings I have now are the best, and I got GREAT service from a local bootery. My feet are slightly different in size, and so are my boots-- for the first time. I can't begin to tell you how pleased I am with them and with the store-- even at $225+/pr.

When you wear boots all the time, you really realize the truth of that old saying: "the bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a good price"

JLH
Old 03-09-2005, 09:20 PM

Been wearing no other shoes or boots but redwings for years now, and i love them. I get a new pair every year for school but they last forever. My feet just grow to fast to keep a pair on me for to long. I wear a 15 and im 17

Eric
Old 03-09-2005, 09:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I wore alot of different boots Danner ,Georgia, and I have to say REDWINGS Are the best IMO kina pricey closer to $200.00 than 100.00 but money well spent. I do alot of construction primarly concrete work, my biggest complaint is the leather tears on the steel toes but they still hold up a long time after that,they make toe caps that seem to help but I forgot to put them on my last pair.And after they tear its to late.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:03 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally posted by bumpytruck
I wore alot of different boots Danner ,Georgia, and I have to say REDWINGS Are the best IMO kina pricey closer to $200.00 than 100.00 but money well spent. I do alot of construction primarly concrete work, my biggest complaint is the leather tears on the steel toes but they still hold up a long time after that,they make toe caps that seem to help but I forgot to put them on my last pair.And after they tear its to late.
On another forum I frequent, one guy had the toes of his boots sprayed with Line-x for about $35. You might give that a try on your next pair.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:11 PM

Red Wing makes a "boot oil" that i've used for a long time. Keeps the leather soft and pliable specially if the boots get wet and then the leather dries out. It'll make the leather last alot longer. I've worn the steel toe pull ons for 10 years. Usually last about 2 years, the leather on the steel toe always wears out long before the sole for me. I went with some non-steel toe pull ons last month hoping they'll last a little longer in the toe. Wolverines have never fit me as good at Red Wings for some reason, and i've had 3 or 4 different pairs of those over the years. It's good to have a western wear store.

Quick Reply: Boots