Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Boots

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 07:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Shovelhead
A buddy hooked me up with a pair of these (used of course)
Without a doubt the most comfortable pair of boots I've ever worn.
While outside for 2 hours running the snowblower, my feet never got cold.

RANGER 14" LEATHER PULL-ON STRUCTURAL FIRE BOOTS
NFPA Certified!

Aggressive, stitched-down Vibram® lug sole
Steel toes for impact and compression protection
Shinguard, steel shank and cushion support insoles
Moisture wicking Cambrelle® lining
NFPA 1971 (2000 edition) certified
Made in USA
Heavyweight Military AB Leather – impregnated with silicone for superior water/chemical resistance
Goodyear® Welted Construction – holds its shape and has a significantly longer wear life than non-welted boots
Kevlar®/Nomex® Liner with CROSSTECH® – fleece liner delivers thermal, pathogen and chemical protection
Those are sweet! Must cost a fortune, though.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:49 AM
JKE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like Doc's. They are a leasure boot though. Not really for hard work. I have 4 pair currently. Two pair are 5 years old, one pair is 3 years old and 1 at 1 year. Very comfy.

I guess Redwing would be my choice for a real work boot. JMO - JKE
Old 03-01-2005, 08:02 AM

I had Redwings a while back and loved them. The only problem was that they rolled over, and wore crooked. Now I have some Justin work boots, and have had them for 4 years. They are great. I also have some Georgia boots, and they are my favorite. I'd definently go with some Justins or Georgias.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:19 AM

I used to do the wolverines, but over the summer I switched to Red Wings. I am pretty hard on them and use them in a variety of environments. I am a big guy as well so I usually end up wearing the soles out (i guess rolling over???). My RW are very comfortable! Though I am a little dissapointed to see my heal wearing more so than I would like. I also need to take them in b/c the sole on each boot appears to be seperating, so I will find out how the RW customer service is. Very comfortabele boot, I am still testing them for longevity. I am a big guy and want a pair of boots to last more than a year.
Old 03-01-2005, 08:28 AM

Originally posted by Kyle Graham
Danners all the way goretex handmade in Oregon a little pricey though 240.00 for a pair of super rain forests
Danners here! The best boot that I've ever bought. They are pricey, but you can re-sole them. I had a pair I re-soled twice, boot still looked great, boots were 6yrs old, I finally got rid of them and got a new pair because the waterproofing gave out.
The other pair of boots I have are Ariat lacer work boots. Very comfortable, better then the Justin or Wolverine boot.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:00 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Boots

Originally posted by njoverkill
Ive worn through 2 pairs of Dr Martens what seems like a little prematurely. About 1 pair every 2 years. I pretty much beat the snot out of boots. Wear them every single day, hiking, working on my truck, winter, summer, whatever. I will happily pay $100 or so for something that'll hold up. Been thinking about Caterpillar's.... Alaska? ANSI steel toe is a must. It's hard for me to tell t he difference between a lot of the CAT boots... all seem about the same, which are the best?
Dr. Martens??

The absolute best (and most comfortable) boots I've ever owned are made by Ariat. Most boots will last me a year at MOST (even Red Wings). I bought my first pair of Ariats in September of 2000 and those boots STILL have lots of sole left on them and the leather is still in good shape (I MIGHT oil them once a year). I bought a second pair for Christmas in 2003. I've worn them pretty much every day since then and they still look new on top and on bottom. I wear boots every day of the week and any time someone asks what boots to buy I always recommend Ariats. I'll never buy anything else. They're that good.

Do yourself a favor. Try a pair on.

www.ariat.com
Old 03-01-2005, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by Dr. Evil
I dont think you're gonna find too many guys that dont like their Red Wings...
I don't. I went through three pair of Red Wings in three years. On top of that, they weren't all that comfortable and they don't wear even. I still have my last pair of Red Wings sitting in the back of my closet. They've been sitting there since the day I bought my first pair of Ariats. Red Wings don't even begin to compare to Ariats in my opinion.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:36 AM

I love redwings except for one problem. Their non-marking soles mark up floors in very nice houses that I work on. They have a model with a clear sole but they don't fit my foot very well and have an elevated heel. After having 1 foot surgery already and needing another I have to be careful with what I wear. Right now I'm wearing wolverines. I was thinking about trying some docs again but I can't find any around here without steel toes. If you're getting 2 years out of a pair of boots I'd be happy with that. I can go through a pair of boots in about 8-10 months no matter what brand.
Old 03-01-2005, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by Hoss
I don't. I went through three pair of Red Wings in three years. On top of that, they weren't all that comfortable and they don't wear even. I still have my last pair of Red Wings sitting in the back of my closet. They've been sitting there since the day I bought my first pair of Ariats. Red Wings don't even begin to compare to Ariats in my opinion.
Interesting....especially since I paid $260 for a pair of work boots.

I have a pair of Ariat lacers and they are great boots.

Which Ariats do you have Hoss??
Old 03-01-2005, 10:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used to wear Doc Martens, but I found that my feet are cold when I wear them? They are comfortable though. Right now I wear Justins. They are called 8" Logger Boots. They are steel toed with the Gore-Tex They keep my feet stable and warm, but they don't sweat. I like them alot. Here is the link. http://www.justinoriginalworkboots.c...e=469&id=WK614
Old 03-01-2005, 11:12 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally posted by jfpointer
Those are sweet! Must cost a fortune, though.

About $350 a pair new (at their Firefighter's discount of course).
Old 03-01-2005, 11:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red Wings for me, my wife likes the Ariats.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by Dr. Evil
Interesting....especially since I paid $260 for a pair of work boots.

I have a pair of Ariat lacers and they are great boots.

Which Ariats do you have Hoss??
My old pair is the Cascade series. I wore them for over three years before I retired them to "dirty work" duty. The soles are still in great shape...which is the part that always wears out for me. I don't wear them any more unless I'm planning to get muddy.

My new pair (which I didn't need but someone bought them for me as a gift) is the Hermosa series. I've worn them pretty much every day since Christmas 2003 and they still look new on top and on bottom. I wipe them off with a wet rag every Sunday morning to clean them up for worship service. Other than that I've never done anything to them.

Before I bought these I literally couldn't make it past a year without wearing a pair of boots out. My job (commercial construction) has me walking on concrete all day every day much of the time...so I've been pretty pleased with the comfort and wear of these.

I should mention that the first thing I did was took the little skirt looking thingy off. I'm not a fan of skirts on boots.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:27 AM

Ariat.

my work boots are Ariat in Smooth Quill Ostrich. (I work inside)
my regular work/riding boots are Ariat bull hide w/ crepe sole.

Both are pull ons. I hate laceups, they take too long to put on.

pronounced: air-e-ut
Old 03-01-2005, 11:31 AM

You guys work too hard....

Quick Reply: Boots