Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Boots

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boots

Ive worn through 2 pairs of Dr Martens what seems like a little prematurely. About 1 pair every 2 years. I pretty much beat the snot out of boots. Wear them every single day, hiking, working on my truck, winter, summer, whatever. I will happily pay $100 or so for something that'll hold up. Been thinking about Caterpillar's.... Alaska? ANSI steel toe is a must. It's hard for me to tell t he difference between a lot of the CAT boots... all seem about the same, which are the best?
Old 02-28-2005, 10:41 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't know Dr. Martens had steel toe?

I have had my current pair of Doc's for about 8 months now; the collar around the top of the boot is ripped in a few places, and the leather is worn as is expected with no maintenence, but to soles are holding up great. (With the exception of the 2-inch horizontal splits through them that appeared after hard-core shovel use a shovel for a few weeks last summer.) I don't know- two years with these boots and I'd be happy as all get out. They are super comfortable. I don't think I'm going to leave the doctor any time soon.

Breaking them in, however, caused three bleeding blisters to occur on each one of my feet, through two-three pairs of socks, and they didn't fully go away for three-four weeks of pain. Only a few of my socks escaped the break-in without blood stains... I'm scared to get a new pair, man...
Old 02-28-2005, 10:44 PM

Red Wings! they cant be beat! I have had only three pair in the last 10 years and I just bought the third pair in Jan. I wear my boots every day to work and I repair gasoline pumps so the soles are in gas alot and they still hold up. The best part is that if you take your boots back to the store they will oil them up and give you free laces when ever you need them.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:48 PM

Post Go Red Wing!

I am currently wearing a pair of Cat boots I picked up at Fleet Farm in Wisconsin for around $70 or so. Seem fine, but....They are a shoddy, uncomfortable, temporary replacement for my 8-year old pair of RedWings that cost $125 8 years ago. Finally the leather upper started splitting through and walking through a wet Horse pasture in the spring, well, you know...

The Red Wings completely spoiled me for anything else, they fit sooooooo well. They only got better with age, if only I would have kept up oiling them, I would still wear them daily. Did loose a little leather on top of the steel toe, otherwise zip, zero, nada problems in eight years of hard, nearly daily use on concrete and around lots of oil, fuel and coolant. Well worth the money spent, will buy another pair when financially able too.

The Cat boots fit alright, but really are much more uncomfortable to wear a full day then the Red Wings. You sort of get what you pay for. They suffice for now, but I'll invest in the better boots, and save my feet, as soon as possible. Just my $.02, sorry for the long post--I don't like uncomfortable feet; I'm a runner and know that good shoes are very very important for the health of your feet, legs, back, sholdiers, etc. Good luck!
Old 02-28-2005, 10:49 PM
Banned

Danners all the way goretex handmade in Oregon a little pricey though 240.00 for a pair of super rain forests
Old 02-28-2005, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by Kyle Graham
Danners all the way goretex handmade in Oregon a little pricey though 240.00 for a pair of super rain forests
I understand that our troops really like those too. Must be a heckofa boot.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:17 PM
Banned

They are sweet super tough made of saddle grade leather a little tough to work in but 100% waterproof lace ups. I had a pair working concrete construction for 3 years and I still keep them around a wear them occasionally any caterpillar or similar booot wouldnt last 4 months in that environment.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:56 PM

I have tried several of the cats on in the store...I just cant wear them.

I have a pair of Red Wings and am waiting for my current boots (Wolverines) to wear out. My buddies have Red Wings and they last three+ years under fairly HARD use. Very pricey in Canada though....
Old 03-01-2005, 12:20 AM

Red Wings are good boots , and have used them.... I know alot of people that have tried the Cat boot and they say they are uncomfortable and dont last. I have been using Wolverines the last ten years and they are a great boots.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I used to go through 2 pair a year till i started buying the redwings with the urathane soles the leather goes before the soles( i dont take care of them)
Old 03-01-2005, 12:35 AM

I dont think you're gonna find too many guys that dont like their Red Wings...
Old 03-01-2005, 12:38 AM

I'll have to check em out. The problem I always have is with the soles... they end up falling right off for me.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:42 AM

The Redwings have a special elastomere sole...like no others youve seen....it WONT seperate.....
Old 03-01-2005, 05:53 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
A buddy hooked me up with a pair of these (used of course)
Without a doubt the most comfortable pair of boots I've ever worn.
While outside for 2 hours running the snowblower, my feet never got cold.

RANGER 14" LEATHER PULL-ON STRUCTURAL FIRE BOOTS
NFPA Certified!

Aggressive, stitched-down Vibram® lug sole
Steel toes for impact and compression protection
Shinguard, steel shank and cushion support insoles
Moisture wicking Cambrelle® lining
NFPA 1971 (2000 edition) certified
Made in USA
Heavyweight Military AB Leather – impregnated with silicone for superior water/chemical resistance
Goodyear® Welted Construction – holds its shape and has a significantly longer wear life than non-welted boots
Kevlar®/Nomex® Liner with CROSSTECH® – fleece liner delivers thermal, pathogen and chemical protection
Old 03-01-2005, 06:04 AM
Tire Hater

I have tried them all, from Cat to Wolverines. I'm currently sporting 8 lug RedWings. Best pair of boots I've ever owned, hands down. I kick myself everytime I put them on for not buying them sooner.

Quick Reply: Boots