Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

boating question

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 08:05 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
boating question

A friend has a boat with Volvo 290dp Z drives- and we would like to install a Cummins B series engine.
Does any one of you know where to get an adpater from the cummins to the Volvo Z-drive? And where to score either an 4BTA 3.9 or even better a 6BT with the jacket water intercooler?

Thanks!

AlpineRAM
Old 10-29-2008, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AlpineRam- You can get the Borg Warner adaptor kit, and use a 290 "Milk Bottle" from Volvo. (I might even have a new one laying around here!)

That said, what engine did you take out? All the Vp diesels using a 290 were 3800 rpm and used a 1.95.
32's, 42's, 43's & 44's all had blowers to help them get out of the hole.
Your Cummins will suffer with this ratio.
Old 10-29-2008, 07:09 PM

Voila- milk bottle pic
Attached Thumbnails boating question-img_0859.jpg  
Old 10-30-2008, 07:18 AM

Thanks!

We removed 2 AQAD30 with 110hp each, it's a Princess 30.
We were thinking of getting somewhere with bigger / steeper props, without the need to regear, because it's a duoprop drive.

Since you have stuff like that at home I feel that you know your way about this subject...
What would you do if you have 2 completely shot Volvos on a boat like this? We would like to have approx 2x 200hp, and diesel.

Thanks!

Markus
Old 10-30-2008, 01:06 PM

Markus- Your AD30's were good little engines in their time, but indirect engines tended to smoke, their cooling systems were very tempermantal, and if they went uncared for, they would overheat & the precups would fall out. If it hasnt happened yet- pull them out & put them on e-bay. I often run across folks who want to throw good money into bad.

Now, that said- The D-3s have been around for a few years, and the bugs are worked out with the hp up to 190.
Their rpms are right @ 4000 loaded, so a 1.95 is perfect. Versus a 30- they only weigh 500# each as opposed to approx 800# for the 30.
Height-19" crank to top. Length- 28" from BH to front.
Still Mech Shift & throttle, your current controls will work. Alt is 140a so there is a benefit.
Fuel burn is near identical I see about 8.3gph each cruising @3000. Figuring your speed will be increased with all the hp, you'll most likely end up burning less...speed for speed.
I have run quite a few of these common rail engines..yes it is a derivative of their automotive engine, but have not heard of any inherent flaws.
Last time I was over your way, I couldnt believe the XC90 I was in had one. The gasoline version is the same exact block, with a different head of course.
If I was going to keep the boat, I wouldnt hesitate.
Other options?
I really liked the 32's, but twins in that boat, I am sure they wont fit, even if you found an old pair laying around.
I have heard the new little Ivecos are pretty sweet, but only know of one pair installed over here.(A friend of mine mated them to 290 drives just like my previous post, but had to fab the BW Inboard plate).
To go with a little Cummins, you will be doing so much work & netting so little. I am not argueing its a good engine, but consider the bang for your buck (& time), with no performance gain.
Best of Luck- Drew
Old 10-30-2008, 01:59 PM

Markus- I was playing with my Prop & Speed calcs- I found LOA=30.6',beam-11.2' & guessed 9k#s.
You'll (easily) see 45kts & need C6 if you want SS. A7 if you are like me & prefer Alum.
10k#s drops the speeds 2.5kts.
I found some pics of the boat. Not much room there at all behind & to the stbd side w/ 30's.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What would be faster , a single D6 310 HP DuoProp or twin D3 160 HP DuoProp?
Sorry, don't mean to hijack
Old 10-31-2008, 02:48 PM

Thanks midlife!

We have been looking into the D3-190s but- the fuel supply in Croatia makes short work of a lot of common rail engines, and the owner would like to get the revs down- he's a fan of "big diesel" sound. It's also a question about the costs of the engines.
Over here the D3 is very rare on the used engine market, and those you can get are defective units of folks who change to something else.
How about it in the US?
I thought about using an A10 prop with a 3.9 bta on the drive, it has a 2.3 to 1 ratio and dualprop. This should net approx. 25 kts at peak power if I got the calc right... which is very questionable since I don't do this too often.

Thanks!

Markus
Old 10-31-2008, 03:41 PM

I understand your fuel supply issues- & I understand your cost concern.
Used D3 is rare here too..they all hold together & no-one wants to part with them!
But the dollar is down & its Boat Show season- there are some dealers willing to come way down from retail list.
My calculator only goes as far back as 31L's (130hp) with a 2.3 ratio.
Your speed figures are correct except your prop(s) will drop down to A4's- maybe even smaller due to the rpm reduction from the Cummins-
(A10's are the biggest for 45+mph)

Mr 6cylinder- As far as overall speed- hp to hp would be the same on paper- the advantage would come from more (prop) blade area in the water.
FYI- D6 310 is no more- it is now a 330.
Now, if Markus had asked me about my opinion on a single...I would be steering him towards a D4 300. Awesome, Awesome engine.
Since the 4's & 6's are EVC- you will add on alot more $ by having to change all controls & gauges, filling in the transom & changing the stringers...probably not worth it. (D6 wouldnt fit anyway)
Hope this helps-
Drew
Old 10-31-2008, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by midlife crisis
I understand your fuel supply issues- & I understand your cost concern.

Your speed figures are correct except your prop(s) will drop down to A4's- maybe even smaller due to the rpm reduction from the Cummins-
(A10's are the biggest for 45+mph)

Hope this helps-
Drew
Thanks Drew, now I've got a question concerning the props-
You state that the props would drop down to A4s. I see this the other way round...
My reasoning for the A10s was that since the props that were with the 110 hp engine would do 22 kts at 3800 rpm, I figured that a prop that would do approx 40 kts at 3800 would do approx 29 kts at 2800 rpm, so we should quite be there with the 3.9 that has 150 hp at 2800 rpm, and the same boat with 2 Volvos with 150 hp (gassers) will do somewhere close to 30 kts.

Am I wrong there?

Thanks!

Markus
Old 10-31-2008, 04:53 PM

You are thinking because you are spinning it slower- it can be bigger. And you are right, but the engine still has to get out of the hole, perform & have acceleration .....with a given size load.
With 1000 input rpm less to work with (1/3) that much wheel will never let that engine make full rpm.
Old 10-31-2008, 05:13 PM

Oh I see!
I was thinking because the 3.9 has that much more torque and the power curve is starting really down low that we could get away with it..

Markus
Old 10-31-2008, 07:46 PM

That would be one impressive torque curve from a 150hp 2800 engine!
I'll be right over after a quick stop in Goteborg......
Cheers!
Old 11-01-2008, 04:13 AM

Come down to Austria for a good (Insert preferred beverage) !
This is the power curve of the engine in question.

But while you are in Goteborg, score 2 engines and bring them as a hand luggage

Markus
Old 11-01-2008, 08:27 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
3.9bta are tough to find complete. Try looking into a Yanmar 4cy model 4LY-STE. They sip diesel have tons of power/tq and can easily run over 10k hrs. They're really a turbo after cooled toyota diesel. I'm reinstalling twin 6LP-STEs that will turn over 4k rpms to about 325hp. In your application, two might fit as they are very compact and light weight compared to gassers and other diesels within their category. The only downside is that the timing is belt driven unlike the cummins.

Quick Reply: boating question