Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Blacksmith Meeting

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blacksmith Meeting

Here in Central Minnesota they have a pretty good sized Blacksmith club going on. My dad and I were invited to a local's house who is a well respected member. I should of got some more pictures of this guys shop/setup. If it pertained to metal work this guy had it, if he didn't have it he would make it. He had some realy nice air hammers that were a one off.

Anyways, I asked him kindly if he could cut a piece of metal out for me using his plasma cutting machine(his side business is custom metal work). Of course you know what I asked him to cut out.

Here is one of his machines(he was cutting out flower stems/vines)

Tommorow im going to paint it a glossy black followed by a clear coat. I hope it turns out good. Should I scratch the metal with a brillo pad first?
Old 12-17-2007, 10:24 PM

I can't really help you with your ? about the brillo pad, sorry. But the last name of the guy with the shop is'nt Blackwelder is it? I'm a blacksmith/farrier in New Mexico and I know of a guy that does metal work in central MN. Thanks and sorry I could'nt help you more, I'm sure the guy who cut that would know what to do!
Old 12-17-2007, 10:56 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

You gonna mount that thing on your truck or hang it from your rear view mirror?
Old 12-18-2007, 03:06 AM

Thats what they call a blacksmith now....My grandpa was a blacksmith for 50 years, had arms bigger than most peoples thighs and barely fit thru doorways. One of my "jobs" when I was a little squirt was to turn the crank that ran the blower for the forge. That man made everything, made horseshoes to sell, beat out plow points, man he could swing a hammer.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:30 AM

I also turned the crank for the blower in my dads blacksmith shop.It is difficult for me to associate the word "blacksmith" with the pics in the posts above.That is a metal fabricating shop it appears.Our blacksmith shop did not have electricity,just two windows near the anvil for illumination.Our drill press had a crank on it too.Dad had a reputation for being able to temper tools properly and his chisels etc used to last a long time before they needed to be resharpened.Ron G
Old 12-18-2007, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Pentastar
It is difficult for me to associate the word "blacksmith" with the pics in the posts above.
I agree. The term 'blacksmith' is starting to be very loosely used and it's true meaning, (one that forges and shapes iron with an anvil and hammer), is being lost because so few are actually DOING it! True blacksmithing is an art.

Nice logo made on that plasma table tho!

chaikwa.