Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Blackberry/Nextel Info Needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Blackberry/Nextel Info Needed

I've had this little Treo/Handspring/PDA thing for a couple of years. A friend bought it for me used and it's worked pretty darn good. I just plug it in to a USB port on my computer, push a button, and the calander and address book gets updated between the two quite nicely. Recently tho, neither one recognizes the other and 1/2 the time I can't get the handheld to power up. So, I think it's time for something new.

I keep hearing about these 'blackberry' things but I know nothing about them at ALL. (I'm techno-electronically challenged). I have a Nextel that my customers use to call me almost exclusively, so I kinda need to stay with them, but I was wondering if there's a device, (I guess like a Blackberry), that will support the Nextel service AND give me a calander, date book and address book that will be mirrored on my computer. If such a thing exsists, do any of you have them? Are there models/makes to stay away from? How about e-bay, is that something I should stay away from and go directly to a dealer or are these things pretty simple? ebay is where my current one came from and I have no complaints, but it's OLD and probably not real complicated by today's standards.

Thanks in advance!

chaikwa.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.nextel.com/en/solutions/b...id8=blackberry

Nextel has a Blackberry, most of my friends are on theirs but I'm on Cingular Crackberry through my job.

I think the Nextel Blackberry is better than my 7100G but the service from Nextel doesn't cut it for us.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by new2ctd
http://www.nextel.com/en/solutions/b...id8=blackberry

Nextel has a Blackberry, most of my friends are on theirs but I'm on Cingular Crackberry through my job.

I think the Nextel Blackberry is better than my 7100G but the service from Nextel doesn't cut it for us.
Thanks new2ctd. I've looked at the Nextel page, but like I said, I'm 'challenged' when it comes to this electronic junk, so most of what's on that page means very little to me. I saw where theirs has a calander, but does it interface with my computer so I can add things in one and it will update the other when I want it to? I s'pose that's the kind of thing that Nextel assumes people will just KNOW, but I don't!

I hear ya about Nextel not cuttin' it for you.... it really isn't the best service in my opinion, but I have to stick with what my customers use for now.

Thanks again! Keep the replies comin' PLEASE!

chaikwa.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:06 AM

Blackberry has 2 real ways to work. BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server and Webclient)
The server would be run by the IT folks at the company. The webclient is where you install an application on your computer and then with a USB cable your Blackberry will register. This is one time only after it registers with your computer then your calendar and tasks and address book will all sync up wirelessly from now on.

I have 3 different email addresses going into mine and it is very versatile. Mine is solely used for phone, email and calendar.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:56 AM

don't mean to highjack this but i have e-mail from work, and my own @nextel.blackberry.net e-mail address on the blackberry... is there a way i can make e-mails sent out through blackberry, not my job / company BES? I do not use my blackberry for work e-mail AT ALL so it is not important.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Blackberry has 2 real ways to work. BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server and Webclient) The server would be run by the IT folks at the company.
Okay, WHAT company? I assume Nextel? Or is it Blackberry? And is this expensive?

The webclient is where you install an application on your computer and then with a USB cable your Blackberry will register. This is one time only after it registers with your computer then your calendar and tasks and address book will all sync up wirelessly from now on.
Again, is this expensive? And can the email feature be turned off? I don't really need email on my phone but I guess it would be kinda neat if it didn't cost an arm and a leg! And how does it do all this wirelessly?

Thanks!

chaikwa.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:38 PM

I dropped my Nextel Blackberry 7100 once and it lost all its marbles. Its a great phone I believe. Very powerful unit with many features. These phones are not meant to be tremendously rugged, although I'd say they are a bit fragile.

E-mail can be turned off.

Trending Topics

Old 09-25-2006, 02:47 PM

The company would be the company you work for. They would be running the BES.
The webclient is the standard service thatcomes from Nextel. With tha service you can get all of your nextel email as well as any home accounts you have.

All of this is included in the Nextel service contract. You cannot turn off email and get your calendar updated. The calendar is updated via your email account(s)

Blackberry Enterprise Server range in costs from $1900 to $6600 depending on the number of units to be issued/connected. So this is a true enterprise class solution.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:52 PM

They are pretty fragile. I'm on my 4th one of the 7100's in about 6 months.

1. Ran over it with the backhoe (it doesn't take a licking)
2. knocked it off the kitchen counter and it was dead
3. Dropped it off my lap getting out of the truck and speaker was dead

I've had this one since June though and I've just been more careful with it. Probably because I'm out of warranty now.
They do not offer extended warranties on these either.
Register it at Blackberry.com and you can get a new one every 2 years even if your phone company says it's not time to get an upgrade.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:27 PM

dropped my 7520 in a puddle of new york city sewer scum completely immersed. let it dry and it works fine.. would still prefer one of those MIL spec phones though.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:29 PM

Blackberry is nice. I do however prefer my i580 mil spec phone. Nextel is one of the few that works consistently well around here. That varies greatly by location as most of you know.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:30 AM

My company just took my i580 and gave me a 7520. Bad news is no more surprises when I open up my e-mail. Worse news is the dang thing vibrates and beeps every 5 minutes.

Good news is it replaced the newspaper when retiring for some "quiet time" in the morning. Not quite as obvious as walking into the sandbox with the sports section.

I can even pull up DTR if I really want to, but it's hard to read. As a bonus, it apparently does several other things that I haven't yet figured out how to do.......
Old 09-26-2006, 06:24 AM
Administrator

The company would be the company you work for. They would be running the BES.
Blackberry Enterprise Server range in costs from $1900 to $6600...
Well, I guess I can forget BES. I own the company I work for, and there's NO way I'm handin' over THAT kinda money for a PHONE!

Thanks for all the info tho, at least I'm a little clearer on how it works now. I'm assuming there would be additional charges on top of what I already pay Nextel now, so I could get the services needed for the email stuff. I'll hafta see what THAT amounts to before I get too excited about this new toy.

chaikwa.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:55 AM

You don't need the BES to send/receive e-mail on the blackberry. It seems to be about $15/month for unlimited e-mail on Verizon, just to give you an idea. That is on top of the regular calling plan.