Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Biblical References

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 02:30 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by SBishop
"Fanaticism is the ruin of humankind"

Stephen Bishop

i second that

britt

Old 12-09-2004, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very interesting thread. I believe that the Bible is the word of God, no question. Beyond that there are problems where NO man can fully understand. The writings are deep enough that any and probably every person doing his best to understand will pull what he has been taught, what he feels is the ultimate translation. And yet, everything that he reads is a translation that good people in all diligence attempted to make accurate, but there are failures.

Using the United States for an example... Some devout believers feel that we are the final Babylon, other truly devout believers feel that this is the promised land, while most just feel that the greatest nation God ever conceived is not even mentioned in the Bible.

Same for the age of the earth, UFOs, the place of Christ, the path to Heaven or even the existence of Heaven and Hell.

It is stated several places in the Bible that God gives one man a little piece of understanding, another a completely different section of understanding, with no man grasping the full understanding of God's works and plan for humanity.

I understand a few things that have been given in such a way that they cannot be disputed in my mind, others I have weak understanding. Yet what I know is demeaned by truly God fearing and devout people that claim to have a full understanding.

If a couple of people think they know the answers and get together to practice these beliefs, more join them, a few generations later, you have a new religion or denomination. And if the first couple of people were inaccurate, you have misguided masses. For this reason I do not believe in different religions, or denominations, just truth.

The man that thinks he has it all figured out, is surely going to hell in a hand basket. In all things, you can judge a tree by its fruit, not the symbolization that has been made by custom, or by the evil person that may have planted it, or the Harlot that may have watered it. God wanted the tree and the fruit that it produces. Only God knows the goal that He has and the plan thereof. He used Assyria, Egypt, Babylon and others to move His goals ahead.

All any man can expect to achieve, is the best that he can understand with a pure heart. IF the heart is true and the attempt is to obey God's word as he understands the Word, he cannot be too far from that which God plans for him. Man is not the judge of another man, God is.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by bdramsey
Then why is'nt Joseph venerated or honored? I mean after all he did raise Jesus from a baby?
Speaking for my faith, we do honor St. Joseph as part of the Holy Family. But if Jesus was conceived divinely as the Bible says, than it was Mary who supplied all of the genetic matter for his human body, since it was through her, and not Joseph that Jesus "was descended from David according to the flesh" (Rom. 1:3). An interesting document, "Protoevangelium of James" was written around 120 A.D., less than 60 years after the conclusion of Mary's earthly life when the memories of her were fresh in the minds of many. According to the Protoevangelium, Joseph was required to regard Mary’s vow of virginity with the utmost respect. Joseph was supposedly an elderly widower who already had children, was chosen to be her spouse. This could explain why Joseph was apparently dead by the time of Jesus’ adult ministry, since he does not appear during it in the gospels, and since Mary is looked after by John, rather than Joseph, at the crucifixion.

The Protoevangelium is online in several site and is interesting reading.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:25 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by spudwrench
i noticed many of you saying you believe in God. thats good but which God are you refering to? 1 cor 8:5 says there are many gods and many lords. Satan himself is called a god in 2 cor 4:4. so its very important to refer to God by his name to avoid confusion is it not? so i ask again which god?
The True God Trinity
Father Son and Holy Sprit
Old 12-09-2004, 03:44 PM

Originally posted by spudwrench
i noticed many of you saying you believe in God. thats good but which God are you refering to? 1 cor 8:5 says there are many gods and many lords. Satan himself is called a god in 2 cor 4:4. so its very important to refer to God by his name to avoid confusion is it not? so i ask again which god?
Thats a new one on me. Guess when you pray, it goes to a party line. God (the only God) hears it and says, "this one is for you" and transfers it to another God. Come on, that is just confusion. There is only one God. I would strongly recommend that due to your belief in other Gods that you address your prayers to which one you are talking to today. I only talk to one God.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:56 PM

I don’t understand when someone says that they believe in the one true god. Especially if you say that you believe in the trinity. That’s 3 gods isn’t it? Maybe I’m wrong.

Father (God)
Son (Jesus)
Holy Sprit (?).

I don’t understand how someone can say “my god is better than your god because I put my faith in a book that was written thousands of years ago”. Since this (these) books were written so long ago it is hard to refute any of them. My experience with church and the bible is you can pick and choose what you wish to believe. There are so many contradictions in the bible and other books that is mind-boggling.
I also don’t understand the concept of prayer. You pray for something to happen in your life and if it comes true than it was answered from “God”. If it doesn’t come to pass the it wasn’t meant to be. Not part of “God’s” plan. Give me a break. To me that seems like a cop-out.

Let me give a scenario:

My mother worked for a company that was about 150 miles from her house. She traveled this distance every week for 7 years. She would leave on Monday morning and return on Friday. Now if I asked God to take care of my mother while she was traveling and to give her a safe trip going and coming back and she “had” a safe trip then my prayers were answered right? “BUT” if she was killed in a horrific accident while she was away then my prayers weren’t answered. It was “just her time to go”. People would say. Well I’m sorry, I would be angry with this “God” for letting her go like this. It would have been a waste of my time to pray if “God” was going to take her in the first place. Does anyone think that God is up in heaven thinking, “well I was going to let her die today but now that he prayed for her I guess I will let her live”?

If this “God” knows everything that is going to happen then what is the use? What is prayer going to change? Do people think that they are going to change “God’s” mind?

I’m not attacking anyone’s beliefs. I personally believe that you should be able to practice what ever you want to believe. I just don’t understand ANYONE that spouts off “I believe in the one and only TRUE God”. Everyone else is wrong and you are going to Hell Blah Blah Blah. Whatever.

I believe in “A” god. Probably not yours. I believe something created all of this. By what means and how long it took, I don’t know. I believe we evolved to this state. And I believe we are lucky to be here. Just “my” beliefs. Am I right? I don’t know. Are you right? Don’t know that either.

Let the Flaming begin (pun intended)

Britt

Old 12-09-2004, 05:37 PM

There is only one God. You sure added a bunch of stuff in there, did not know that I wrote all that. You just want to argue and rebel against others beliefs. Better go look at what the Trinity is, you missed it.
Old 12-09-2004, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
There is only one God. You sure added a bunch of stuff in there, did not know that I wrote all that. You just want to argue and rebel against others beliefs. Better go look at what the Trinity is, you missed it.

No… I’m not trying to argue with anyone. This is just what I believe. I also was not trying to single anyone out. I don't remember You being mentioned at all in my post. It was just my opinion. I didn’t expect anyone to agree with me.

I simply do not believe what you do. That’s all.

Britt

Old 12-09-2004, 07:42 PM

It is interesting some of the different view points, and understandings that many people have. I found a while back that a person can only give legitimate advice based on thier own expieriences. That's all I can do, that's all HID, Britt and any others can do.

When I pray, I pray to God, I hope he knows who he is. I remember when I had asthma, I prayed to "God" that my asthma would be healed, before my next step took place my asthma was gone. Completely gone. Yahweh, I AM, THE LORD THY GOD, I don't think that it is the name that mattered in the old testament, but I do believe that there is only ONE name by which man can be saved. That is by God's only son. Some say it is Immanuel, Jesus, Yeshua.... I think that it is belief that we are not gods ourselves, but are reliant on a supreme being. There is not alot of options. There is only 2. I made my choice to follow Love, peace, happiness. Somtimes things don't always go my way, but in due time I realize that the situation may have been much different if I had gotten my way.

Love and forgivness is so much easier than hatred and unforgivness in my opinion. But, like I said a while back. That's mine. some agree and some disagree, to each thier own.
Old 12-27-2004, 07:52 PM

Bible study over? Guess maybe I’m too controversial for some.

Britt

Old 02-11-2005, 07:10 PM

Thought i was gone did'nt ya?
Old 02-11-2005, 07:50 PM

ooooooohhhhhhhhhhh nnnnnnnnnooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

britt

Old 02-11-2005, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by t-7 firefighter
Bible study over? Guess maybe I’m too controversial for some.

Britt

Naaa thats not it. Discussing religon with you is like discussing marital bliss with Clinton, you know, Arkansas Clinton With all due respect, you don't have a clue. You should read some of the stuff from astronauts or scientists, might change your mind. But then again, probably not. Down the road, all that may change when you have a traumatic family experience.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:21 PM

Naaa thats not it. Discussing religon with you is like discussing marital bliss with Clinton, you know, Arkansas Clinton

With all due respect, you don't have a clue.

You should read some of the stuff from astronauts or scientists, might change your mind. But then again, probably not.
Huh??? This is who I was quoting all along. Don’t understand where your coming from.

Down the road, all that may change when you have a traumatic family experience.
Have had many traumatic experiences with my family. In fact I have very little family left. When you watch close family members die from Lou Gehrig's disease, it’s pretty traumatic. With all due respect, Stick with something you know.

I wasn’t planning on responding anymore to this thread to make phox happy. In fact the post you quoted was over a month and a half old. Unfortunately I take this kind of personal. You don’t have to like or agree with what I believe. I never once said anyone was ever wrong with what they believe. But many of you have said I was wrong. How does that work? One more time, I don’t believe what a lot of you believe but it doesn’t make me right or wrong. Simple as that.

Sorry Phox. Lock it if you want.

Britt