Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Biblical References

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If our entire lifespan is but a vapor in the span of eternity, then billion, million, thousand whatever could be entirely accurate, but clearly beyond our measurably reality.

Has anyone notice that the palastinians are ready to talk peace?

http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayA...iddleeast&col=
Old 10-27-2004, 08:10 PM

"I guess I misunderstood your stance(s) on evolution. I was under the impression that you both felt that all species randomly formed into thier perspective families, and type without a creator (or designer). I apologize."

No apology necessary. We all hold to our political and religious beliefs on a very personal level. It's hard to discuss either without folks getting either bent or their feelings hurt. Thanks to Jack for letting both threads live and for limiting it to two. The atmoshere over at .com turned to pure hateful. I'd hate to see this site go that route.
That said... I, like I'm sure most, feel an empty void when I doubt God's existance. It's even been noted and witnessed that even the most rock hard athiest cries out to God when he's faced with death. It's not the thrill of breaking the rules or morals (eating of the tree of knowlege) that pushes me away from God. It's religious people. The one's who fiercely attack my beliefs that maybe God created our world through billions of years of evolution. There was a time when astrologists were considered evil for thinking the earth was a sphere when the Bible clearly states it's a flat circle with a metal rim mounted on a foundation of stone with the universe revolving around it. I like to listen to scientists as to "how" we came to exist. I'd like to turn to God to learn "why" we came to exist. If a preacher ever started a sermon, "Scientists today discovered another testament to how God created our world and it fits in with verse..." I would listen.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:49 PM

It is really swell of Jack to let this thread run, with the two threads...one for politics, and the other for religion hopefully they can stay separate from the rest of this site.

Hey folks- this is a place for all religious/biblical references feel free to chime in

Here's a couple of websites to look at:

http://www.creationevidence.org/
http://www.advancemeants.com/creation/
http://www.matthewmcgee.org/creation.html

This is my favorite:
http://www.icr.org/
This is the sub link that I like the best:
http://www.icr.org/pubs/btg-a/

Take a look at a couple of these and see what you think.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:07 PM
Banned

BDramsey: Again..Biased information on your part..sometimes you just have to meet in the middle. Why are you so intent on changing other people's views ? i don't understand, and you need to apologize to Britt i think you've offended him deep down inside with your thrashing of his beliefs...the only reason he doesn't say what he REALLY feels is the fear of being banned. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, so are you...that's what makes this Country great , but when you step in someone's personal space with your rhetoric and blabber you start ticking people off.WHere Oh WHere cAn I fInD UN-BiaSed InFo on The bibLE?
Old 10-28-2004, 08:55 AM

http://www.jesusfilm.org/languages/index.html
Old 10-28-2004, 11:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just a throught,

Has anyone ever really throught about what eternity really means. It's like the vassness of the univers to me, mind boggling
Old 10-28-2004, 11:48 AM
Chapter President

That depends on if you are someplace or weather your just floating around.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:50 PM

If your floating around I guess you'd still be someplace.

Eternity, just seem like a long time, kinda hard to imagin.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:54 PM

That and just a few miles up and you can't even see a trace of our existance. That's how tiny and insignificant we are in the big sceme of things. We're mere parasites on this planet no less than germs on a pebble. Stars by the millions each with their own planets orbiting around them capable of life as we know it. It really is mind boggling.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:57 PM

Kinda make you think, what's really worth worring about?
Old 10-28-2004, 06:06 PM

Sure causes alot of problems does'nt it?
Old 10-30-2004, 12:19 AM

Does anybody remember Gregor Mendel, the monk who did the early research on genetics and hybridization? Remember recessive genes? Cause all kinds of havoc when close relatives breed. Well turns out that recessive genes, for most species form a kind of emergency survival kit for species faced with sudden changes with out time for normal evolutionary adaptation. Often is has to do with size. Sort of explains why larger or smaller critters suddenly replaced their ancestors. Kind of a quicky evolution. I don't know whether our universe was always around or self generated or was set up by some supreme being who shrugged and walked away. I am amazed at the number of people who are certain and are willing to fight for their certainty. I do know that people have produced something better than was there and are passing it down generation after generation. The words and ideas being used here evolved through centuries of usage. Languages blend and evolve. Americans have evolved English spelling rather rapidly. We have inherited the parenting qualities almost unique to mamalian species and passed them on and refined them. Call it family values or social evolution.
Old 10-30-2004, 10:09 AM
Banned

How much could the words "NO" and "Don't" have possibly changed over thousands of years? ...other than that Bill Tomlinson i agree with how languages have evolved, not just by time but by demographic location.Say for instance in Mexico certain phrases mean completely different things maybe 300 miles apart in a different province,then give them 2000 years and you can bet it will change even more.
Old 10-30-2004, 10:25 AM

No, never heard of him.

I guess monks always had plenty of free time in thier hands, so that folks trusted them. I do wonder though how much stuff the monks knew before Gallileo, and the others figured came along.

I grow roses at home, I have several varieties, and types spaced about 3 feet apart, I have two "L" shaped rows, and I have another section that is a square.

One thing that I have been able to observe is how a yellow rose bush will produce yellow roses with speckles of red. And White roses that are speckeled with pink, and vice versa.

I have also seen that these color changes occour only within the type of rose. For example a grandiflora does'nt mix with a tea rose. The colors changes within types, but not across species. I have taken splices from a grandiflora and spliced a branch to a climbing rose, I was just foolin around. The climbing rose did not have any leaves on it, and it looked like it was starting to die. So I cut a branch from the grandiflora and cut the end off one of the stems and taped it on to the climbing rose bush.
Within about 2 weeks I saw that the climbing rose bush had produced leaves, and new branches, however after this happened the peice that I had spliced from the grandiflora died, almose immediatly.

I was surprised to see that the host bush was able to utilize the effects of the "strange" branch to fulfill it's "needs" and then discard of it. When it made roses, they were the color and type of the host plant.

Pretty neat huh?
Old 10-30-2004, 11:01 PM

Originally posted by TireHauler04
How much could the words "NO" and "Don't" have possibly changed over thousands of years? ...other than that Bill Tomlinson i agree with how languages have evolved, not just by time but by demographic location.Say for instance in Mexico certain phrases mean completely different things maybe 300 miles apart in a different province,then give them 2000 years and you can bet it will change even more.

You got that right.
Very basic words, the kind kids learn when they are very young, don't change or change very little. Kind of like the way cockroaches never change in millions of years. Longer, more complex and abstract words change more rapidly. Using this principal, linguists can figure out which languages are related. All the languages common in Europe share simple words, more or less. Two don't. Magyar(Hungary) and Finnish (Suomi) are related only to each other. Basque to no other.

e.g. Mere, mother, mater, muuti, moma etc.
Papa, father, pere pater ...... in Finish is Isa. Not related. They and the Hungarians came from Asia.