Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Biblical References

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 11:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didnt think "getting it on" was a bad thing that we are punished with like work and women having pain in pregnacy. Why would'nt adam and eve "get it on" with out the serpant I think pretty soon they'd figger it out like blue lagoon style.

Its heaven in heaven and Hopefully alot of people are enjoying it.

Just me thinkin' again
Old 10-07-2004, 07:08 AM

Originally posted by dieselminded
I didnt think "getting it on" was a bad thing that we are punished with like work and women having pain in pregnacy.........

I don't believe the "act" was the thing that set the Lord off. After all, were we created with the proper "equipment" but then weren't supposed to use it? I believe that Genesis 3 is a metaphor (as much of the Bible is) and has to be interpreted correctly to understand is true meaning. I believe it was when Adam and Eve discovered that the "act" generated lust, desire, etc. as a result of an encounter with Evil that God got ticked off.

If you take the pain thing literally, the meaning of this verse is quite plain. But assume it's a metaphor and look a little deeper into the verse. The pain of bearing children goes way beyond the birth event. Adam and Eve could have avoided their fall if their pure and innocent relationship would have continued on, and this would have also continued in their children as well. However, because sin has entered the relationships, there is much pain associated with those relationships. I've seen my wife cry when my kids might have said something hurtful or do something rebellious, so here I believe "pain" means a lot more. In fact Eve herself went on to experience the death of one son at the hands of the other. Wars, diseases and death might all be considered the pain of life.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:14 AM

"Wars, diseases and death might all be considered the pain of life."

Would be completley accurate.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:53 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Commatoze
I believe it was when Adam and Eve discovered that the "act" generated lust, desire, etc. as a result of an encounter with Evil that God got ticked off.
Interesting I agree with most

But I always thought everything was kocher between adam, eve, and god untill the standing serpant convinced eve to eat the forbidding fruit . then see did what most women do still to day by convincing adam "hey its OK" yeah right adam should of never fallen for that crud. grampy what were you thinking

the rest ......about lust and all that that was after the apple right???

just me thinkin'
Old 10-07-2004, 12:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This was sent to me by my brother in law.

THIS IS FOOD FOR THOUGHT- I SUGGEST YOU NEITHER SWALLOW THIS WITHOUT TASTING ITS FLAVOR NOR REJECT IT AS SIMPLISTIC.

At a certain college, there was a professor with a reputation for
being tough on Christians. At the first class every semester, he
asked if anyone was a Christian and proceeded to degrade them
and to mock their statement of faith.

One semester, he asked the question and a young man raised his hand
when asked if anyone was a Christian. The professor asked, "Did God
make everything, young man?"
He replied, "Yes sir, He did!"
The professor responded, "If God made everything,
then He made evil."
The student didn't have a response and the professor
was happy to have once again proven the Christian faith
to be a myth.

Then another man raised his hand and asked, "May I ask you
something, sir?"
"Yes, you may," responded the professor.
The young man stood up and said
"Sir, is there such thing as cold?"
"Of course there is, what kind of question is that?
Haven't you ever been cold?"

The young man replied, "Actually, sir, cold doesn't exist.
What we consider to be cold, is really an absence of heat.
Absolute zero is when there is absolutely no heat, but cold
does not really exist. We have only created that term to
describe how we feel when heat is not there."

The young man continued, "Sir, is there such a thing as dark?"
Once again, the professor responded "Of course there is."
And once again, the student replied "Actually, sir, darkness does not exist. Darkness is really only the absence of light.
Darkness is only a term man developed to describe what happens when there is no light present."
Finally, the young man asked, "Sir, is there such thing as evil?"
The professor responded, "Of course. We have rapes, and
murders and violence everywhere in the world, those things are evil."

The student replied,"Actually, sir, evil does not exist. Evil is
simply the absence of God. Evil is a term man developed to describe
the absence of God. God did not create evil. Evil is simply the state where God is not present, like cold without heat or darkness without light."

The professor had nothing to say............
Old 10-07-2004, 04:19 PM

wow
Old 10-07-2004, 04:27 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like that!
Old 10-07-2004, 08:06 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

no takers on my last post? HOHN????

i know i didn't prove everyone wrong. did i?

britt

Old 10-07-2004, 10:01 PM

Some information about evolution.

“If it could be demonstrated that any complex organ existed which could not possibly have been formed by numerous, successive, slight modifications, my theory would absolutely break down.” A quote from The Origin of Species by Charles Darwin.

A quote from Hell? Yes! by Robert Jeffress. “When Darwin wrote these words, he and the other biologists of his day did not comprehend the complexity of the cell. They imagined the cell was a rather simple organism that could emerge from the primordial biotic soup by chance. But after more than 150 years, and with the aid of powerful instruments, biologists have been able to peer into the cell and view its enormous complexity. What they have discovered is that the molecular machinery and complicated systems the cell requires to function are far too complex to have evolved over a long period of time. Instead, according to biochemist Michael Behe, the cell requires numerous systems to support life: ‘a functioning membrane, a system to build the DNA units, a system to control the copying of DNA, a system for energy processing,’ just to name a few. Now here’s the key: all of these systems have to be present at the same time instead of being built gradually over a long period of time.

Another quote from Hell? Yes! Sir Frederick Hoyle, an astronomer and mathematician from Cambridge University, writes, “The likelihood of the formation of life from inanimate matter is one to a number with 40,000 noughts [zeros] after it….It is big enough to bury Darwin and the whole theory of evolution….If the beginnings of life were not random, they must therefore have been the product of purposeful intelligence.”

A quote from Charles Darwin in his memoir My Life and Letters. “Not one change of species into another is on record…we cannot prove that a single species has been changed.”

One last quote by Darwin in The Origin of Species, “To suppose that the eye with all its inimitable contrivances for adjusting the focus to different distances, for admitting different amounts of light and for the correction of spherical and chromatic aberration, could have been formed by natural selection, seems, I freely confess, absurd in the highest degree.”

From these few facts it seems it may take more “faith” to believe in evolution than it does to believe in Jesus.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:44 PM

I agree Joe. I just gave up arguing. I made my stand, and left it at that.
I have decided to consider this thread a "buffet" of sorts. Folks put thier belief, and understanding on the table, and get a large variety of information. I think that if more people put thier beliefs on here then it would definatly be educational. Cause I am a Christian, and believe what I do, I understand that there are others that disagree. For example Phox has brought up and shown some difference between LDS and Chrsitianity. It has been interesting, since I really don't know much about thier belief. I can disagree and still observe the difference. God has made clear the specificity of man's understanding, and the manner and the content which he will allow man to learn, and think, and believe.

Those that believe in evolution have more faith than I. I give credit where credit is due. Looking at evolution logically without Biblical understanding, or interpretation. I find it really difficult to believe that with mankind evolving from a cesspool, to what we have today is ludicrus, allow for some examples.

1. Evolution means adapting to changes with physical modification. Right?
Then since electricity has only been around for a small portion of the alleged evolutionary period. Then why during the evolution of man did we not develop the ablity to see in the dark? even in infrared? Like cats, or like snakes? Or why didn't evolution give us ears as acute as a dog's? Seems to me that these things would have been useful for oh about 65 million years?
2. Why were'nt there any cars or computers evolve? Same logic would hold tru since all things are positive and negative energy. Molocules are not inanimate? or are they? I could be wrong..........

The one with the masters in biology should be able to attest to the detailed quality of marine life. How come a whale can go to depths greater than we can co in submarines? Seems to me that deep water swimming would be a pretty admirable trait to get from evolution....

Just trying to be logical here folks........ that's all
Old 10-07-2004, 11:28 PM

objectivist, agnostic!!!
Old 10-07-2004, 11:41 PM

Main Entry: 1ag·nos·tic
Pronunciation: ag-'näs-tik, &g-
Function: noun
Etymology: Greek agnOstos unknown, unknowable, from a- + gnOstos known, from gignOskein to know -- more at KNOW
: a person who holds the view that any ultimate reality (as God) is unknown and prob. unknowable; broadly : one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god

Who is agnostic? I'm not. I believe in God.

One entry found for objectivism.

Main Entry: ob·jec·tiv·ism
Pronunciation: &b-'jek-ti-"vi-z&m, äb-
Function: noun
1 : any of various theories asserting the validity of objective phenomena over subjective experience; especially : REALISM 2a
2 : an ethical theory that moral good is objectively real or that moral precepts are objectively valid
3 : a 20th century movement in poetry growing out of imagism and putting stress on form

And the two words don't go together either.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:48 AM

A 17 yr old girl in highschool who was a admitted athiest and a pastor of the local church were being interviewed here in Oklahoma one day not to long ago by a reporter for a news article, the athiest was stating how she did not believe in God and she stated all her facts as to why God does not and has never existed, which was a very long and lengthly statement. When the pastor had his turn he made one short brief statement. He turned and addressed the young highschooler and said { If at the end of your life you find out you are wrong you will have lost everything and if at the end you are right in your beliefs you have lost nothing, If at the end I have found that I was right in my beliefs, I have gained everything and if I am wrong I have lost nothing} It was short and to the point, God gave each of us a free will to choose, the choice is up to each of us to make. Goodluck,, Rick I think that all of us that believe should Pray and Pray hard for all mankind believers and non-believers and for the Lord to come quickly.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:53 AM

Originally posted by bdramsey
... Then why during the evolution of man did we not develop the ablity to see in the dark? even in infrared? Like cats, or like snakes? Or why didn't evolution give us ears as acute as a dog's? Seems to me that these things would have been useful for oh about 65 million years?.........
Modern man hasn't been around anywhere near that long. it's been only 300,000 years since Neandertal man was sitting in his cave; a mere wink in evolution. If you use a 24 hour clock to represent the elapsed time since the formation of earth, less that a second has elapsed since the dawn of modern man. Your examples above would be interesting body options, but I would speculate that the reason we don't have them is nature didn't deem them necessary. Examples of evolution are everywhere, from ever mutating viruses to the little toe on our feet. My faith, Catholicism encourages us to embrace evolution...with one rule. That man was created as a unique form of life and not evolved from something else. And this is my primary struggle because there are so many examples of how we could have evolved or what we could have evolved from. Faith isn't easy. It's darn hard for me! So I would disagree with you sir as I believe it's much easier to accept evolution than one's chosen faith. As I said earlier, Thomas is my given name and I guess it suits me very well.

The one thing I find fascinating is the fact that with our quickly evolving technology, and our ability to peer and listen ever deeper into space, that we haven't found anyone else out there amoungst the billions of stars. And if it's ever determined that we're pretty much alone, that would go a great distance for me personally. But what if we aren't? Suppose we find that there are others like us out there. How would that affect religion in general?
Old 10-08-2004, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by Commatoze
[B]Modern man hasn't been around anywhere near that long. it's been only 300,000 years since Neandertal man was sitting in his cave; a mere wink in evolution.
I wonder what folks did with out televisions

If you use a 24 hour clock to represent the elapsed time since the formation of earth, less that a second has elapsed since the dawn of modern man. Your examples above would be interesting body options, but I would speculate that the reason we don't have them is nature didn't deem them necessary.
Even without the 24hr clock, why did it take so long to discover that the earth was round? Man, things like night vision, extreme hearing, fins, and wings would have made Mr. Neaderthal real productive. And then, there is our skin, we are well aware of the health problems caused by dirty skin, like bacteria. How would someone reason about our sensative skin? Seems like leather skin would be more appropriate for living in the woods, and etc. Why would'n twe be covered in hair? I would think that body hair would have came in pretty handy, at least until L.L. Bean showed up.

Examples of evolution are everywhere, from ever mutating viruses to the little toe on our feet. My faith, Catholicism encourages us to embrace evolution...with one rule. That man was created as a unique form of life and not evolved from something else. And this is my primary struggle because there are so many examples of how we could have evolved or what we could have evolved from.
I would think mutating viruses, crooked toes, such like would not fall under evolution, but under adaptation. Bacteria, or viruses would stay the same type or family, instead of for example a flue virus turning into an apricot tree. Which if I understand correctely woudl pretty much describe evolution.

Faith isn't easy. It's darn hard for me! So I would disagree with you sir as I believe it's much easier to accept evolution than one's chosen faith. As I said earlier, Thomas is my given name and I guess it suits me very well.
Faith is a tuffy, I have hang ups somtimes too. I think everyone does. I think the Bible puts it as "His understanding is above our understand, as far as the heavens are from the earth". Jesus was patient with Thomas, I think those boys back in the day had it a hundred times easier that we do today. At least they had folks that had actually met/heard Jesus.

The one thing I find fascinating is the fact that with our quickly evolving technology, and our ability to peer and listen ever deeper into space, that we haven't found anyone else out there amoungst the billions of stars. And if it's ever determined that we're pretty much alone, that would go a great distance for me personally. But what if we aren't? Suppose we find that there are others like us out there. How would that affect religion in general?
I don't think that the Bible says we are the only folks in space, I find it a small coincidense that with evolution being structured the way that it is, seems to me that there would be other planets out there that have the same things as earth does.

I do believe that all beliefs and faiths, and religions all the way un until Darwin, did believe in an entity as a creator, I don't think they gave all the credit to one creator, but still a creator..

What an interesting little chat!

Take care