Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Biblical References

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by phox_mulder
......I guess there are a lot of similarities between many religions.
There are phox. It's interesting and rewarding to delve into the differences of the myriad religions to see what makes each one unique. If you approach each one with an open mind, it's a very educational experience.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:58 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by myk00l
The bible says

The living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten. Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun." "There is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest." Ecclesiastes 9:5, 6, 10. "The dead praise not the Lord." Psalm 115:17
Michael
So the Bible says once you're dead you're dead, it's over, there's nothing else?

That kinda contradicts everything else that has been said thus far.

phox
Old 10-05-2004, 09:02 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by phox_mulder
[B]So the Bible says once you're dead you're dead, it's over, there's nothing else?

That kinda contradicts everything else that has been said thus far.

Behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be." Revelation 22:12. "The Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, ... and the dead in Christ shall rise ... and so shall we ever be with the Lord." 1 Thessalonians 4:16, 17. "We shall all be changed, In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, ... and the dead shall be raised incorruptible. ... For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality." 1 Corinthians 15:51-53.
TE]
Old 10-05-2004, 09:10 PM

So the Bible says once you're dead you're dead, it's over, there's nothing else?
It would seem that way phox if you take that scripture literally. The key to interpreting Ecclesiastes is to understand that most of it is presented from the perspective of the unsaved man. The of guy who looks at life and says, "Eat, drink, and raise hell, because tomorrow we might be dead." This is the way the unsaved man looks at life, and this is the picture that Solomon presents us in the Book of Ecclesiastes.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:17 PM

2 Ti 1: 5 Which is a manifest token of the righteous judgment of God, that ye may be counted worthy of the kingdom of God, for which ye also suffer:
6 Seeing it is a righteous thing with God to recompense tribulation to them that trouble you;
7 And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,
8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:
9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;
10 When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day.

11 Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith with power:
12 That the name of our Lord Jesus Christ may be glorified in you, and ye in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Commatoze
It would seem that way phox if you take that scripture literally. The key to interpreting Ecclesiastes is to understand that most of it is presented from the perspective of the unsaved man. The of guy who looks at life and says, "Eat, drink, and raise hell, because tomorrow we might be dead." This is the way the unsaved man looks at life, and this is the picture that Solomon presents us in the Book of Ecclesiastes.
I knew that, can't believe I did, but I actually did.

I was just pointing out, that scripture passages taken out of context can have an entirely different meaning.

A knowlegable wordsmith could twist just about anything in the scriptures to fit whatever suits him.
Bits here, pieces there, and he could prove any point.

Way back in my youth I was all about religion,
I actually read the Bible cover to cover (Old and New Testaments)
as well as the Book of Mormon cover to cover.
B of M would be the "Newer New Testament" to the LDS faithful.

Actually retain some of it now, 15-20 years later.

phox
Old 10-05-2004, 09:23 PM

Da 12:2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

The other one I was looking for.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:30 PM

I'm not sure what to call the things that ya'll are talking about, please don't be offended. I'll refer to them as after-death ceremonies.

From the two last posts I made it would appear that phox and commatoze are describing would not be foolishness, because the scriptures I wrote in the last two posts definatly describe more than once dead-game over. after-death baptismal does'nt make sense to me, none of the other ceremonies probably would make sense either.
But, like it was said a while back about the information shared about other beliefs is definatly very interesting.

I think the post back there from ecclesiates would probably be explaining that once the switch flips it would be as if a snapshot of life achievments, beliefs, etc would be what is judged. There wouldn't be any opportunity to reverse any decisions that were made during the life time.
At least from reading that post, that's how I would interpret it.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:35 AM

Why do they call it the Book of Mormon?
Old 10-06-2004, 09:40 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by GIT-R-DONE

Questions for the bible,
1. If God put Adam and Eve together, and God knows all....then he already knew what was going to happen with the apple. Right? Where am I going with this....? Why are we all going through the pain and suffering of life? If God had/has all the answers....why must people suffer from disease, war, hardships, etc. See where I am going with this? Did God have a choice of Putting Adam- Eve there in the garden or to not put them there? It makes no sence to me that we go through the process of life, and God could have put us all in heaven to start with , without all people suffering.

2. How many people out there accept death? I have accepted death many times over. This is my belief, which started when I was at approx 12-14 years old. Death to me is acceptable. It will happen, cant stop it, dont want to stop it. With that said......If you are saved and believe in God.....why would you not want to get to heaven sooner. Many people out there go to doctors and try to do everything in their power to live longer. Since you are all going to heaven, why bother with the docs, so you can get there quicker?

thanks go to those that have the knowledge and are willing to share the time and wisdom to those that dont have it....
Any answers? I assumed that things got to heated in here and everyone lost track.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:09 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by chaikwa
As a person that has had no 'formal, organized religion', (I was raised Indian), if I were to want adopt a recognized religion, how would I know which one is 'correct'? There are so many and all claim that they are 'The One'.

This has always confused me.

chaikwa.
I have refrained from responding to this thread because I disagree with so much of what has been said (much of which deeply saddens and troubles me), but I will try to answer the question above.

The ONLY way....I repeat...the ONLY way to know which religion is correct is to compare the church you are attending to the church found in the New Testament. The Bible teaches that there is ONE church...just as there is ONE God and ONE baptism. If the church you are attending does not teach the things that are taught in the New Testament and if it does not have the characteristics of the church that Christ established in the New Testament then it is NOT the true church. To follow that, the Bible also teaches that if you are not in Christ, i.e. in His body (the church), then you are lost. How do you get into His body you ask? Simple. Hear, believe, confess, repent and be baptized (immersed) for the forgiveness of your sins. The key to Heaven is found right there. It's like a combination lock...and without all of the digits the lock doesn't open and there is no salvation.

Thanks for listening.

-Shane
Old 10-06-2004, 11:28 AM

How is there any difference between any religious groups that feel that their beliefs are absolutely and indisputably correct? Even though some will try to prove their assertions using any number of pseudoscientific arguments, the bottom line is that all of the world's absolutist religious views are a result of an individual simply choosing to believe something based solely on their own faith. Believe based on faith alone is OK if that works for you, but it clearly doesn't put anyone in a position to claim some ultimate truth. The inability of so many to see this is just mind-boggling.

Hopefully no will be offended or think this intolerant , like eveyone else here just stating a belief.

Thanks for listening.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:36 AM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by smiller
How is there any difference between any religious groups that feel that their beliefs are absolutely and indisputably correct? Even though some will try to prove their assertions using any number of pseudoscientific arguments, the bottom line is that all of the world's absolutist religious views are a result of an individual simply choosing to believe something based solely on their own faith. Believe based on faith alone is OK if that works for you, but it clearly doesn't put anyone in a position to claim some ultimate truth. The inability of so many to see this is just mind-boggling.

Hopefully no will be offended or think this intolerant , like eveyone else here

just stating a belief.

Thanks for listening.

No the Difference is We Christians Serve a Living God the rest are Dead.

He Is Risen!
Old 10-06-2004, 12:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm in trouble now....

LDS faithful take it one step further.

Baptisms for the dead.

This is for those who passed on without ever getting the chance to embrace Christianity.

Geneological research plays a big part in this, you don't just go around baptizing any ole departed one.

This is done with the belief that the person for which the rite is being performed has the option of accepting it or not.

Of course, they don't throw holy water on bones or anything like that.
A young man or woman is baptized in the name of the dearly departed one.

I guess there are a lot of similarities between many religions.

phox

I know I'll catch flak for this, but I've always considered Mormonism to be a cult. It has all the earmarkings of a cult.

Do the research. If you haven't even heard of the "salamander letter" then you have more research to do.

Speaking with excommunicated Mormons who have since accepted Christ on a personal level has revealed some interesting things about the "church", its history and its leadership-- it's both eye-opening and frightening.

Justin
Old 10-06-2004, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by smiller
Believe based on faith alone is OK if that works for you, but it clearly doesn't put anyone in a position to claim some ultimate truth.
It doesent? What if a person believes with all his heart, mind, & soul that in one book lies the Truth of all creation. The Truth that tells him to spread the Good News, and be a tree that bears fuit. What if his faith is so great that he believes without a doubt every promise that Jesus has made to him? What if his faith is so great that he believes that Jesus is the ultimate truth?

So Mr. Miller, its ok for me to believe through faith, but I cant tell anyone else about it?

Im sorry, but faith without works is useless. I will share my faith with anyone who is receptive to it. If you dont want to hear it, thats your decision. But keep in mind,,,,you heard it!

Respectfully mr. miller, you have chosen a different path in life, and I have no problem with that. But do not tell a christian to not share his faith! Because our faith tells us to do so. We are very close minded, and thats not a bad thing. My mind is closed to mans beliefs, and focuse on God.

I am not trying to flame you by any means. I understand where you are coming from, and I want you to know why we must proclaim the Gospel, and not let this fallen worlds beliefs affect our faith.
----------------------------------

Good post Hoss.