Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Beware when buying used parts on Internet Forums

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hohn/jlh/Justin,

I purchaced an Edge Comp off these forums that didn't live up to it's 'Drag' label (not the buyer's fault at all, only a dyno figured out the difference). Edge replaced it completely, harness and everything, since it was still in the full replacement warrenty period (1yr). Get the buyer to contact Edge. Keep in mind Edge failure rates for 24v boxes after 2-3 years are somewhere in the 95% range. They made it right for me and should for your buyer.

brandon.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:03 PM

Wilson, I used Paypal but I can't get money back, since it was delivered but not purchased on Ebay, check their policies very well, I thought I had it too.

Hohn, a good code of honor is returning email and have some communications with buyer. If I was you I would have offered to take it back, that would have been the most polite thing to do. You will always find another seller, and if the box will do same problem to others then maybe it is the the problem and you should mention it when you sell.

This guy sold me the box knowing it was NOT a Van Aaken and it was NOT working, I can guarantee you that.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
well, we are trading email, and I don't get the impression that his beef is with me so much as it is with Edge. Well, it's not so much a beef-- it's more like he's just really disappointed, which I can totally relate to.

I encouraged him to call Edge, and I have yet to hear back.

jlh
Old 05-19-2005, 07:26 PM

I'm selling my EZ right now to a guy on another forum. It worked perfectly when I pulled it off my truck. If he were to get it and have a problem I don't know how I'd react. I've sold several things on this and other sites in the last couple of years and never had a problem. I'm like Palmetto_Kid, I prefer to buy from people who frequent the sites. I wouldn't buy anything from a one time poster. I actually had a guy interested in the EZ a while back and he had some concerns about the transaction and I just flat out told him if you don't feel right you should just pass on this box. I don't want any trouble! I'm shipping the EZ tomorrow and I'll keep my fingers crossed...
Old 05-20-2005, 09:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Valv
Wilson, I used Paypal but I can't get money back, since it was delivered but not purchased on Ebay, check their policies very well, I thought I had it too.
Not trying to hijack the thread but did want to comment about the paying with Paypal. My personal experience with Ebay and Paypal has been that Paypal will refund the money ONLY if they can get it from the seller first.

I made a purchase on Ebay some months ago that was one of those too-good-to-be-true sales and I was suspicious but I figured that it was only $12 if I did get took and I paid with Paypal. They ended up shipping me something other than what was advertised and then wouldn't answer e-mail or phone calls so after exhausting all options that I had, I contacted Paypal. Paypal responded and 45 days later determined that the seller was at fault but that they couldn't recover any money for me. By then the seller was banned on e-bay and there was nothing else that I could do but like I originally said, it was only $12. I won't take that risk with larger purchases. If it's too good to be true or doesn't feel right, don't buy it.

Bottom line with Paypal IMHO, don't spend more than you are willing to risk and for sellers, move that money out of the account as soon as it arrives or they can transfer it back out w/o your permission. I had that happen to a friend with a credit card company - he took a CC in payment for a sale and the money was direct-deposited in his account but then the charge was contested and the CC company debited his account and he lost both the merchandise and the money.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:30 AM

Howdy,

I always use United States Postal Service Money Orders when I'm paying or being paid.

If the other person tries to rip me I can go to the PO and they will prosecute for mail fraud...

And when the shoe is on the other foot...

Their payment processes thru my bank in one day,and it's backed by the Gov...

It also shows I'll make good on my promises or they can turn the PO on me.

ONLY USPS Money Orders can be trusted...I had a friend who took MO payment on a car...signed over the title,and they took it with them that night. Turns out the MO was stolen from a Currency Exchange.
Car never sufaced...either they "tagged" it,had a way to launder the title,or they just stripped the car...in the end he was out the car,and was paid nothing.

Certified and Bank Checks can be "phony as a three dollar bill"...

A big scam going around the internet is this...you have an ad...someone contacts you and says they'll buy what you have at your price...they ask if a a Certified/Bank Check is alright,and that they are in a hurry and will have someone arrange shipping...check shows-up you put it in the bank...someone shows-up and your (fill in the blank) gets shipped ASAP...BANK CALLS...CHECK IS NO GOOD...YOUR SCREWED...

I have had several suspicous responses to ads lately...I ignore them,and they don't try a second time.

Hope that helps someone...

Vinny