Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

best way to ship?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best way to ship?

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on shipping, I may need to ship out a grille guard to either NC or OK. What is the best method of shipping? How much has it cost others to ship like items? Thanks. redwake.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:32 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
take it to UPS.

pay THEM to pack & ship.

very expensive, but when they destroy it, it BELONGS TO THEM.
i actually have the buyer call UPS and pay UPS for the pack & ship,
that way, if it is crushed, UPS deals with them.

you have your money for the product, and UPS pays them for the damage they did.

and they are supposed to refund all shipping & packing costs.

UPS destroyed $8000 worth of Laser Jet Printers before I figured that out.

DHL is CHEAP but painful (can't find nothing, won't deliver remote, excess charges after delivery)

now, they are MUCH more careful with my stuff.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:24 PM

I liked Fedex better than UPS, I had only 1 claim in 3 years versus 11 with UPS in 2 years.
But, you might have to measure your item to find out if they can ship it, it might be too large.
I used Uship.com several times and so far I am pleased. I heard of bad stories here and there but my own personal experience is all positive.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by 04ctd

DHL is CHEAP but painful (can't find nothing, won't deliver remote, excess charges after delivery)

now, they are MUCH more careful with my stuff.
You left out loses stuff for days, if not weeks, then finally finds it and delivers it way late.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:48 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

*cough*Hotshot*cough*.

Expensive - yes
Fast - yes
dependable - yes
Old 02-20-2008, 03:24 PM

Take a look at DHL also. UPS really does not care about damaging packages - not a metric they sample. FEDEX does care and keeps and eye on damage. DHL is the new entry - I have used then several times with good results.

Speed - weight - price

Hal
Old 02-20-2008, 05:45 PM
DTR College Boy and FUN SIZED!!!!!!!!!!

I deal with UPS on a daily basis. I recieve and ship about 50 packages daily with them. Honestly, I rarely have an issue with them damaging something. Make sure it is packed good as that plays a huge role. I have seen some drivers kick our boxes to their truck, while I am watching. They get an earful. I do occasionly deal with DHL and FedEx and they both seem good as well. Bottomline, pay the few dollars extra for insurance, make sure it is packed well and you should be good to go.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Wolfcsm
Take a look at DHL also. UPS really does not care about damaging packages - not a metric they sample. FEDEX does care and keeps and eye on damage. DHL is the new entry - I have used then several times with good results.

Speed - weight - price

Hal
There have been over a thousand complaints to Amazon.com about DHL losing and damaging shipments and late deliveries . DHL is able to give low rates because the use contractors instead of employees . They won't sell single rates . Contractors must contract areas then subcontract to van owners . The van owners are NOT happy and have filed a class action suit against DHL . The delivery guys get low pay and have a poor attitude .
Old 02-21-2008, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by RickG
There have been over a thousand complaints to Amazon.com about DHL losing and damaging shipments and late deliveries . DHL is able to give low rates because the use contractors instead of employees . They won't sell single rates . Contractors must contract areas then subcontract to van owners . The van owners are NOT happy and have filed a class action suit against DHL . The delivery guys get low pay and have a poor attitude .

Might be but my experience is a good one. When FEDEX and others would not deliver to Iraq DHL was there. I have shipped within the states and to and from Iraq several times with good results.

FEDEX and UPS also do good work.

Packing and insurance are both keys.

Hal
Old 02-21-2008, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Wolfcsm
Might be but my experience is a good one. When FEDEX and others would not deliver to Iraq DHL was there. I have shipped within the states and to and from Iraq several times with good results.

FEDEX and UPS also do good work.

Packing and insurance are both keys.

Hal
I believe that you work for the Army. Are your referring to your personal shipping, or are you referring to shipments contracted to and for the US Government? If they are Army shipments, how DHL and other carriers treat government shipments is not relevant to how they treat individuals or small businesses.

DHL is primarily an overseas air freight carrier. They darn sure ought to be able to get shipments to Iraq right.

DHL is owned by Deutsche Post, which is the former German Post Office. It is effectively controlled by the German government.

We have had nothing but trouble with them, and we avoid them at all costs.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:55 PM

I ship everyday using UPS with very, very little problems. We tried switching to FedEx and they were just horrible. It took me all of one week to tell them to take a hike. I ship stuff everyday and always pack it with the thought in mind that they will be tossing the package around and just basically not being careful with it. It has worked well for me for 11 years now.....