Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

best place buy Tow Chains & Straps

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2004, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK here is what I do when hauling things on wheels and/or tracks. The limiting factor if you use transport grade chain will be your binders not your chains. A 3/8 transport binder (beartrap)is rated at 6400lbs (its printed on the binder, check and see what yours reads). Ratchets are higher I think, but I use the same formula. COMMERCIAL loads require that the weight of the tie downs exceed the weight of the load. (seems pretty straightforward, but common sense isn't so common) They also require that 60% of the tie downs be crossed and that at least 50% of the tie downs prevent the load from going forward.

Therefore with two 3/8 chains at the front (crossed) and two at the back (crossed) I can legally haul a 24000lb wheel loader. Being the wimp that I am I add a second set of crossed chains at the rear of the load so it won't come forward. 6 binders at 6400lbs = 38,400lbs of tiedown. And it doesn't move anywhere.

So on your car hauler 2 1/4 inch or better chains crossed at the front and two crossed at the back hooked onto the frame or subframe will keep the load from bouncing and from moving assuming you hook them to the trailer about three feet ahead and behind where you hook them to the load. The ratchet binders that were mentioned in previous posts will ensure that the suspension will be snubbed down enough that it won't bounce enough to matter. And your capacity will be serious overkill. Thats not a bad thing. Because the crossed chains are pulling both out and down you wont see much movement.

Personal opinion is that good quality chains, if stored in a chain box won't rust for a long time. The ones hanging on my headache rack, exposed to salt spray, road grime and all the elements haven't rusted at all in the 7 months they have been hanging there, and I drag them the length of my trailer on a regular basis. Straps will work of course, but chains don't chafe or get cut by unnoticed sharp edges. Hope this helps and doesn't just confuse. Rick
Old 07-26-2004, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We use only hookless straps for pulling a stuck vehicle and mostly chains for strapping down cars or the bobcat. If you want to find some for cheap, check ebay for chain binders. You can get 2 for $15. Pretty durn good deal if you ask me. And they look new, so you know they weren't stolen.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:11 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
I think greatwhite did a better job of explaining than I did.......