Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.
View Poll Results: Whose Oxy-Acetylene Torch is best?
Smith
30.00%
Victor
70.00%
Other (please explain in thread)
0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Best Gas Welding/Cutting Oufit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 10:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Question Best Gas Welding/Cutting Oufit?

Who makes the best Oxy-Acetylene torch outfit? My Dad has Smith, and says they are the best. I see a lot of "Victor" out there though.
Whose is best?
Is the Victor worth a darn?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 03-10-2004, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Stamey if this was an ironworker or pipe fitter site that would be like asking, what is the best oil or who makes the best tranny here.
When I was an ironworker (years ago) the Smith and Victors were the popular ones on the job site. I think the Smiths were a little tougher but both did a good job in the right hands. The biggest thing is having the right tips, right pressure for that tip, and a steady hand. If you are going to do just occasional shop work the Victor will do. If I remember correctly it is a little cheaper also and you will find tips and parts everywhere (or at least knock offs).
Good luck
Old 03-13-2004, 03:15 PM

ironworker here victor is better suited for me and i cut a lot of mis-fabricated discumbobulated steel. ive used smith also but i like victor the best
Old 03-13-2004, 07:44 PM

NYC Ironworker here. my vote is for the Victor. They are tuffer, and much easier to clean.

The smith, if you work in a shop prolly would be better, thay are GREAT when new. But a little age, and that thing is junk .IMO.

I work in steel erection. Our torch is usually rolling around in the back of a truck, then thrown around the site. Lowered, and raised from floor to floor, to do some quick copeing of beams, or burning holes that weren`t punched. that victor takes a beating, just file the tip, stab the holes and yer ready to go

beamhanger, where do you work, are you UNION??