Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Best 4x4 Utility Quad ATV? and why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TexasCTD, for my 05 Brute I bought a four year extended warranty on ebay for 350 bucks. Let me tell you, it has paid for itself 10 times over. The motor was just replaced under warranty. It threw a rod and bougared everything up. Axle shafts have been replaced and some other things. Get it before the six month warranty is up. 4 years is alot of time for things to go wrong. I hope you have better luck with yours than I have with mine. Had it for over a year now and the dealer has had it in the shop at least 4 out of the 12 months. Too many things to talk about. Just get the warranty.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ridofpwrstroke
TexasCTD, for my 05 Brute I bought a four year extended warranty on ebay for 350 bucks. Let me tell you, it has paid for itself 10 times over. The motor was just replaced under warranty. It threw a rod and bougared everything up. Axle shafts have been replaced and some other things. Get it before the six month warranty is up. 4 years is alot of time for things to go wrong. I hope you have better luck with yours than I have with mine. Had it for over a year now and the dealer has had it in the shop at least 4 out of the 12 months. Too many things to talk about. Just get the warranty.

Wow! sorry to hear about all of your troubles with yours. I have a relative that has a 2003 Kawi Prairie 650 (which is very similar) and has never been back to the shop for anything. I may have to consider that warranty though.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Marine
Cool. I will wait for the real ones. Although I did look at the new pics, and it is a great looking machine.

Ok, Marine. Here ya go! I think the glossy Kawasaki website pictures probably came out a little bit better though. But these pics do show the much better than stocker tires.....ITP Terra Cross 6 ply.

Old 12-26-2006, 01:24 PM

Dangit TexasCTD, I just got back from the Kawasaki shop checking out this big bad Brute Force 750. I must say I am impressed with it, but I dont know if I am enough to buy it. The local dealer quoted me $6638 good through the 31st of this month so I have some time to think on it. I am still leaning the suzuki Kingquad direction for some reason. I like a head light on the handle bars and I love the fuel injection. I also stopped by the Honda shop and must say I am dissapointed. They still have that ES shift bull on the Rincon???? Oh well. I am gonna put my Dually on E-bay tonight and if I get what I hope to get for it, I will buy me another truck and then buy a new quad I hope!!

I like the Bruteforce though, it looks like a nice machine and even the Honda shop guys said its a torque monster!! I guess its kind of like the Cummins of quads!!
Old 12-26-2006, 03:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
DmaxEater,

The only thing I didn't like about the KingQuad is the double overhead cam setup, with shim and bucket valve lash adjustment. From talking to people and following forums, they had an issue early on about the reverse gear breaking the case. They did a recall, limiting power in reverse, and then updated the cases, so newer ones should be good.

The Rincon doesn't have the same ES system that the electric shift Foremans and Ranchers have. Earlier ES Foremans were known to occasionally have the sensor that reads the angle of the shift drum fail. It's a quick, inexpensive fix, and the newer ones seem to be better.

The Rincon is alltogether different. It's the only ATV out there with a 3 speed torque converter type automatic transmission, and I don't think I've read about or talked to anyone who has had a failure, other than an oil pump O-ring that the first year had... Basically it's like the automatic transmission on a car, except that in addition to normal automatic mode it can be put into push-button shift mode for when you want to control the shift point.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:19 PM

Thanks, I totaly forgot about the 3spd auto on the Rincon for some reason. I did however notice the lack of a low range? Is that just me or is low range a great feature to have on these things? Maybe just where I ride but 500 suzuki was in low range most of the time cause we were not going that fast and we were climbing some bad hills. I think I am hooked on the suzuki. Now, SOME ONE BUY MY TRUCK FROM ME!!!
Old 12-26-2006, 09:19 PM

Yeah, lack of low range is one of the things that don't impress me about the Rincon (the other being lack of a locker).

From the brief ride I've had on a KQ, I'd say the suspension is less plush but more sporty, and it also makes more power at higher RPM.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:39 AM

DMax....

If you think you might want a Kawi Brute Force 750, Kawasaki City of Irving, TX has about the lowest price in the country. They make money from high volume so they deep discount their machines......even into the holdback money. They advertise them out the door for Farm Use at $6168.

If you think you might want one just let me know, I'd be glad to put you up for the night....since I've met you in person before.

I have tried out that locker front diff on the Kawi BF...and it works great. Not many places it won't go. The torque of that engine is amazing. I would definately call it the "Cummins" of ATV engines... ....at least as it relates to power. Don't know yet about reliability as mine only has 30 miles and 5 hours on it. And so far I have only had it up to 62mph, but it was pulling strong when I let off.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice ATV!!
The front lockers are nice, and will eat the front tires! After this hunting season I will be need new fronts. The rears are still in great shape with almost 1,800 miles.

We need to go riding someday, if I ever find the time!

MikeyB
Old 12-27-2006, 10:18 AM

MikeyB,

I am going this weekend if you want to come up to Longview. I hope the weather will cooperate. Or maybe we can meet at Alto, TX at Shiloh Ridge sometime (when you find the time ).

That front locker only works when I pull a lever, so it is not engaged constantly. Hopefully it won't make a significant difference in the front tire life. I guess I will find out. I have never had a utility quad, much less a front locking diff.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wish I could, leaving tomorrow morning to go hunting at my lease in Bandera.
Hmmm, didn't know about the part time locker. Mine is a full time job.

MikeyB
Old 01-03-2007, 05:48 PM

TexasCTD,

If you decide that big V-twin needs bombed, you will have to get a hold of this guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uao0qpq6NGk
Old 01-03-2007, 08:23 PM

I know your thinking about an utility, but my buddy just bought a brand new 700 raptor and he trail rides with us. That bike is bad*** fast and quick.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff in TD
TexasCTD,

If you decide that big V-twin needs bombed, you will have to get a hold of this guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uao0qpq6NGk

Dang, that thing sounds absolutely wicked!!! Way more than this old man needs... .

Let me assure you the Brute Force is doing just fine in the power dept. I had a 300+ lb buddy of mine on his Honda Rubicon flood out his motor in a mud hole and I had to pull him back to camp. Well he decided to be funny and lock the brakes up on his Rubicon. Well my Brute just yanked him around like nothing even with all his wheels sliding in the dirt. He was shocked. I turned back around and looked at him and asked if he had his brakes locked and he was laughing saying NO. But he admitted that he had. He was impressed to say the least. He said his next ATV will be a Kawi. Brute Force.

Also, I got to try it out in some mud holes too. I got it buried several times up to the fenders and it never had a problem. I did have to be pulled out of a couple of places, but no biggie. It did alot more pulling than being pulled.

So far 20 hours and 90 miles on it. It has been washed up and ready for me to service it (oil change, diff fluid changes etc.)

Also, my 10 year old son's new Kawasaki Bayou 250 was impressive as well. Very few places he couldn't follow us even without 4x4.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by ohiostate24
I know your thinking about an utility, but my buddy just bought a brand new 700 raptor and he trail rides with us. That bike is bad*** fast and quick.

Hey I know the Raptor is awesome! I was very seriously considering one. But in the end, I know I got the right machine for my use. The Kawi Brute Force will go a WHOLE lot more places than a Raptor, especially with that locking front differential. Not knocking the Raptor at all, they are just two different animals.

Quick Reply: Best 4x4 Utility Quad ATV? and why?