Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Best 4x4 Utility Quad ATV? and why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 01:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Jeff. I plan to take it riding tomorrow. Not planning on getting into anything to radical yet...just want to break it in right and get used to riding a Utility Quad. Hopefully everything will work as it should. And, I don't have the skid plates on it yet......just the dinky factory plactic stockers.

I may be going again with some buddies for a New Year's camping/trail riding trip too.....so im sure the miles and the hours will add up quick.

About the Terra Cross tires.....I really don't know to much about the ITP tires. I know the MudLites are popular, but I do alot of hard pack trail riding so I figured those might be a little bit rough. The stockers are only 2ply tires and not very aggressive. The dealer sold me the TCs for $360 including a new spare set of stock rims...so I thought that was fair. I still have the new stockers which I may put back on this machine when/if I ever sell it. I think the Terra Crossers are going to be a good compromise.

I don't know much about the Warn 2500 winches either....but it was $169 total including install. Don't see how I could go wrong with that.
Old 12-24-2006, 06:33 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Wow, it sounds like you got a really good deal on the tires, too. It probably came stock with Dunlops, which are sort of OK. They slide pretty good, but I managed to put a stick through one of mine pretty early on. I think the stock tires were selected because they are light weight.

Radials like the Terra Cross might give the solid rear axle machines a bit better ride, in addition to better traction.

The Warn 2.5 seems to be a pretty good winch. I've had occasion to use mine while it was submerged under water, though (photo in gallery). I guess as long as you hose it off afterward, and run the cable in and out a couple of times to warm things up, it will do OK, but the 3.0's motor is sealed, so it would probably put up with more of that for longer. At the price you got the 2.5 for, though, you can't go wrong.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just picked up a 700 EFI KingQuad from town the other day for one of my friends sons... Very nice ATV. Its supose to be the biggest one out there, it also came witha warn winch!!! I sure bet this 10 year old will love it= injury soon to come...

***My saying goes... 4 wheelers are for people who dont have the ***** to be on two!!

Last edited by CTDPower11; 12-24-2006 at 12:16 PM. Reason: woops
Old 12-24-2006, 03:07 PM

Good choice. I have a prairie with the Terra Crosses. They are an awesome tire hook up like no others I have ran including the Bighorns, ATRs, Badlands. great tire. Don't be worried about the Brute not being fuel injected you have way more tunability with the brute and a ton of mods out there that will make it as fast as you would want to go.
Try http://www.nyrocatv.com/ for lots of info on the Kawasaki twins. Lots of money saving info here.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:23 PM

Imagine that TexasCTD, A black one! That sounds like a great price on that ATV. Since the wife bailed out on me, I have been trying to replace some toys I sold off when we got together. I know, hind sights 20/20. I have just about settled on the Kingquad 700 suzuki. I like the features for the price. I cant find a dealer around here that will take MSRP for a new one. I guess thats what people are paying so thats what they get? Let us know how it does on the trail!
Old 12-24-2006, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by CTDPower11
I just picked up a 700 EFI KingQuad from town the other day for one of my friends sons... Very nice ATV. Its supose to be the biggest one out there, it also came witha warn winch!!! I sure bet this 10 year old will love it= injury soon to come...

***My saying goes... 4 wheelers are for people who dont have the ***** to be on two!!
Try haulin this out on a 2 wheeler...
Old 12-24-2006, 04:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MikeyB
Something I would consider is the new Artic Cat v-twin diesel ATV.

MikeyB
DIESEL ATV? 4wheeler.. or one of those dang john deere gator/polaris ranger/yamaha rhino things? Polaris made a diesel 4wheeler back in the late 90s...wish i had one.

In 1996 we bought a honda fourtrax 300. Rode it for 5 years and wanted more....wanted speed and 4wd......

bought a Polaris Scrambler 500 4x4 (limited edition, painted like an American flag).....after being back to the dealer 5 times in 5 months, i sold it.

Bought a honda 400EX....fell in love with a clutched 4 wheeler. wheelies in 4th gear at 50mph was AWESOME! absolutely loved that thing. Sold it 3 years ago to buy a work truck if I was to buy again today I would buy a KFX400 or something similar with reverse. i LOVE 400 pound quads with a clutch....never gets old.

the 1996 honda 300 we bought new we STILL have today at the family ranch. Its 11 years old this week! only changed the oil 3 times runs like a champ...starter silenoid went out once but that was an easy fix.

Grandpa has a 94 honda fourtrax with the original tires at 75% tread. it also runs like a charm. now the 82 chevy with 22,000 miles isn't running quite as good as the hondas, but its running. How often do you find a truck thats 25 years old with 22,000 original miles?

thats my .02 about 4wheelers.
Old 12-24-2006, 11:17 PM

Well I have some seat time on the Brute Force now!! Drove about 25 miles on some various trails on the TX/Oklahoma Border today. About 4 hours I guess, according to the hour meter.

Machine is awesome. Tons of power. Very quick for a 600+ lb. utility quad, but not near as nimble as the KFX400 Sport. NO surprize there though.

I didn't get into anything ridiculously dangerous, but it did pull some steep slopes. The engine braking is WONDERFUL. The FRONT DIFF LOCKER is WONDERFUL. The TerraCross tires are Wonderful. The machine never missed a beat in the dirt, sand, hills, water, mud. I am very pleased.

However, I could not use the new 2500 Warn Winch. It would freespool to let it out the line (which I did to test it), but it would not engage and pull the line back in no matter what. I finally had to hand coil it together and put it in the grill guard to finish the day and get back to the truck. Makes me glad I didn't get into a situation that I really HAD to have it. I don't know much about them so I don't know what to do with the winch except take the machine back to the dealer and make them replace it.

If anybody is looking for an Awesome ATV, I will definately recommend a 2007 Kawi Brute Force 750!!!! (Black, of course )
Old 12-24-2006, 11:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Are you going to post some pics?
Old 12-24-2006, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Marine
Are you going to post some pics?

Yep I can. I just took some pics today before we left to go ride, so I would have some with it still "new" looking. I am not at home, so I will have to wait till I get back with my camera and download them etc. Prob be a couple more days.

Until then......here is a link with some pics. Just scroll down to the black ones.

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Det...content=photos
Old 12-24-2006, 11:39 PM

http://www.kawasaki.com/ImagesMain/P...42_L.scale.jpg

http://www.kawasaki.com/IncludesMain...79&imgId=14593

http://www.kawasaki.com/IncludesMain...79&imgId=14591
Old 12-24-2006, 11:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool. I will wait for the real ones. Although I did look at the new pics, and it is a great looking machine.
Old 12-25-2006, 02:16 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
With my Warn, sometimes I have to fool around to get the **** to go all the way back into the "engaged" position from the "freespool" position...

You might try pushing the **** toward engaged while slowly pulling the cable so the drum rotates a few degrees... or maybe you got one with a problem. At least Warn seems to stand behind their stuff, so in either case it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 12-25-2006, 06:29 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I would suggest either one!
Old 12-25-2006, 07:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 973604x4
DIESEL ATV? 4wheeler.. or one of those dang john deere gator/polaris ranger/yamaha rhino things? Polaris made a diesel 4wheeler back in the late 90s...wish i had one.
Should be a single and a two seat tandem version ATV.
http://www.biofuelsjournal.com/artic...2006-37844.htm

MikeyB

Quick Reply: Best 4x4 Utility Quad ATV? and why?