Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Best 4x4 Utility Quad ATV? and why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 09:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AkTallPaul
I have the Arctic Cat 650 H1 water cooled auto trans...
Not the fastest but you can't ride 60 on the trails anyway. Since I have back problems I wanted a smoth riding machine, It has all the power I need.
Exactly what i landed up with.
A red one
Attached Thumbnails Best 4x4 Utility Quad ATV?  and why?-smaller.jpg  
Old 12-20-2006, 09:24 PM

Many are good, I buy Polaris. Currently have the 4x4 Ranger. Mine is a 500cc, but they have the 700 now. I have a 90cc for my son and we also have one of their jet-skis. Before the Ranger, I bought two of their 325cc's. All have run great.

The Ranger is impressive. You can haul 1000lbs in the tilt bed, and it can tow 1200 lbs. . . . . easily. It will still do 42mph. Just depends on what you want to use it for. Good luck.
Old 12-21-2006, 03:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Again I appreciate everybody's input. Right now I am probably leaning toward a Brute Force (not sure which one yet) or a Yamaha Grizz 700. I just feel drawn to them.

My reluctance against the kawi is the lack of fuel injection. The grizz is not cheap.

I haven't even priced a Can AM, but based on posts here, im sure it is out of reach.

My usage will be trail riding while camping with friends. We ride alot...sometimes on county roads where it is legal like in parts of Arkansas and then on trails in Oklahoma, Missouri, and Texas at public and private parks. Most of my riding buddies have Honda machines but I am unimpressed with them. To slow.

I have been riding on a Sport quad..............so this is going to be my first experience in owning a Utility quad. I want to make sure im happy with my purchase whatever it turns out to be.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:18 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Yeah, I'd agree with that assessment.

I think Hondas generally have great engineering and durability, but they are also always conservative on power, and a bit behind the curve in offering features... They were a bit slow in offering machines that switch between 2wd and 4wd, and they still don't have a manually locking front dif. They also don't have anything in the twin piston power-ute class- nothing that can compare to the BF750, Polaris 800, or Bomb 800.

The Kaw has the best front axle system, IMHO, where you can squeeze a lever on the fly to progressively lock the front end. Some of the reviews didn't care for the handling, or ergonomics, and it lacks a weather proof glove box. Polaris probably has the best storage system, and their machines are stable at high speed (Probably due to them being considerably heavier than most). People I've talked to either have thousands of miles with no trouble, or had lots of problems from the start...

Reading forums on the Bomb, some had heat/melted seat pan issues, and the mudders talk about taking CVT system out to seal the inner belt housing. Skid plates are apparently a good idea if you will be anywhere near rocks. Otherwise they seem to make awesome power, but they are very expensive... They also get knocked in reviews for the linked brakes, and for the delay in the limited slip front end.

There is a comparison of 650 and 750 machines in this month's Dirt Wheels, and although I think magazine reviews should be taken with a grain of salt, it might be worth snagging a copy. If I recall correctly they picked the Yamaha as best all round, but also seemed impressed with the Rincon.

Like everything, individual tastes vary. It would be good if you could get some seat time on an actual trail on a few of the machines on your short list.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:33 AM

Jeff,

I do have that issue of Dirt Wheels and have probably read that article a half-dozen times. But, like you said...you have to take it with a grain of salt.

I agree. Seat time would be good, but that really isn't an option. I do have some seat time on a Honda Rincon...and like I said....I was unimpressed. But then again...........im used to riding a sport quad too.

My Brother-in-law has a Kawi Prairie 650 and I have ridden it alot. Nice. That is probably why I will wind up getting a Brute Force if I can get over the fact that it is not fuel injected.

Then back to Yamaha grizz....it has the FI. I like the Yamahas too. More money and not as fast as kawi....but has FI.

If the Brute Force had FI.......I think my mind would be already made up.

Polaris just doesn't do anything for me.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:05 AM

Originally Posted by TexasCTD
I am considering buying a Utility Quad to replace my Kawasaki KFX 400 sport ATV. I had originally wanted to replace with an 07 Yamaha Raptor 700 EFI, but realistically...most of my riding is with others who have utility quads and we just trail ride. They tend to like Hondas the best.

Does anybody have some personal use experience with various utility quads that can give me the best direction to find the one right for me?

I probably tend to lean toward Kawasaki...maybe the Brute Force or Prairie machines. But I am open to any of the major brands including the Yamaha Grizzly, Hondas, Suzukis, and maybe Bombardier and Arctic Cats.

Probably will consider anything 650cc and up.

Any advise, experience with the machines would be appreciated....pro and con.
I am struggeling w/ the same thing. Granted neither of the quads i'm about to mintion are 4X4!! I origonaly wanted the Raptor EFI 700 I know its a dang good quad....But I know the same about the Honda TRX 450 and the reliability of a Honda is great but it doesn't have revers and that does come in handy every now and then. The Honda is cheaper as well. I just don't know

Michael
Old 12-21-2006, 05:07 AM

If the Brute Force is the machine that calls to you, I don't think I would eliminate it just because it has carbs...

Also, if the Rincon you rode was an older one, I understand the newer EFI ones have a much snappier feel. I really wish Honda would add a locker, low range, and another piston...
Old 12-21-2006, 09:34 AM

I had an '04 Grizzly 660 and sold it last year. Didn't like the body roll through turns, and hitting a rock or something on the trail would shake the bars right out of my hands. However, I read an article yesterday on the new 700 and might have to take a ride to the dealer to check it out. Supposedly, they changed a lot of stuff to combat the body roll and added power steering. Has anyone ridden one yet?
Old 12-21-2006, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff in TD
If the Brute Force is the machine that calls to you, I don't think I would eliminate it just because it has carbs...

Also, if the Rincon you rode was an older one, I understand the newer EFI ones have a much snappier feel. I really wish Honda would add a locker, low range, and another piston...

Do you know on the Brute Force if the 750cc is worth the extra money over the 650? I think they are priced about $500 more.

I agree about Honda....If it was more of a "beast"... ...I'd prob get one.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Patriot2500
I had an '04 Grizzly 660 and sold it last year. Didn't like the body roll through turns, and hitting a rock or something on the trail would shake the bars right out of my hands. However, I read an article yesterday on the new 700 and might have to take a ride to the dealer to check it out. Supposedly, they changed a lot of stuff to combat the body roll and added power steering. Has anyone ridden one yet?

Yeah I would like to hear from those who have ridden on a Grizz 700 EFI w/power steering too. Please comment if you have one.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:13 PM
Banned

Polaris Here.

I bought a 2001 Sportsman 400. I know I should have bought the 500 HO, but I saved $1000 at the time and I'll tell ya, there isn't anything I have asked my 4x4 to do that it hasn't done. I used to sell 30 to 40 ricks of firewood a year and every pound of it was hauled out of the woods on this 4-wheeler. I have a 4x10 trailer and I would carry just at a rick+/- of wood at a time. So figuring around #1200-#1500 each trip for wet oak or whatever, that is a lot of weight. I have only had one CV boot tear and a couple of carburator adjustments in all the years I've had it. I love the ground clearance and the automatic tranny. I figured I'd have trouble with the drive belt hauling so much weight all the time, but I have yet to have any trouble at all.

$.02

O, and if you go to wash out your boat while attached to your 4x4, make sure the weight of the water doesn't shift on ya! Opps!

And quit staring at my wife's butt!!! She'd kill me if she knew I posted this pic!
Old 12-21-2006, 01:29 PM

I love that Pic, Jory. That's funny right there...........I don't care who ya are...
Old 12-21-2006, 01:49 PM

I haven't been able to ride one, but I understand the 700 Griz's power steering works really well. My Foreman will really slam the bar over when you hit a rock or whatever (as will they all). Honda also came out with electric power steering but only on the electric shift Foreman. Apparently the Foreman is their most popular work machine, and most likely to be run with weight on the racks while being steered w/one hand (Running sprayer)...

Anyway, any of the IRS machines will have some degree of body roll that will take getting used to if you came from a sport machine or SRA utility. Personally, I think it's worth it and my next machine will be IRS. When I run my buddy's Rincon, I just feel the need to lean my body a bit more in fast sweepers. On the plus side, you can float over really rough rocks and roots thinking you are just cruising along, but once you try the same trail on a SRA bike you realize you were flying on the Rinny. Also, if you do back to back dawn to dusk hard riding days, the less punishing ride of IRS leaves you feeling like riding some more... where my bike has me reaching for the ibuprofen. There's a reason it won the baja 1000 in 02.

If I were to do the Brute Force, I'd personally pay the extra to get the 750, but then quads for me are a recreational thing and me likes power...

I've been thinking about adding a 2nd machine this spring, myself. I realize in the long run I would probably come out better with the Rincon (as far as reliability and resale value), but I've been eyeballing the Renegade and adding a small rack... (Hope they didn't keep the linked brakes from the Outy).
Old 12-24-2006, 01:21 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Jeff in TD
If I were to do the Brute Force, I'd personally pay the extra to get the 750, but then quads for me are a recreational thing and me likes power...
Well I did it! Thanks everybody for their input.

I have purchased a new 2007 Black (of course ) Kawasaki Brute Force 750i....out the door for $6138 for the machine alone. But, I have also added a full set of skid plates, new ITP Terra Cross 6 ply tires (kept the stockers and stock wheels with another set of stock wheels), and a Warn Metal Front Bumper. Also, Kawasaki has a promotion going on right now for the Warn 2500 winches....and of course I added that too. So I think im set, but gotta wait on the skid plates and bumper to come in before I can put them on it.

Got a great price on their machine, but took a beating on my trades. I knew I would but I didn't want to mess with trying to sell them in the condition they were in. (kawi kfx400 and Yamaha badger 80) Both needed major work, so I just cut my losses and moved on, on those.

Anyway...back to the Brute Force......What little I have ridden it (basically just onto the trailer ) it is really a ,uuh....well.......BRUTE! I think I am going to love it.

Again thanks for everybody's suggestions!!! Sometimes, you just have to make a decision and go with your gut feeling....and for the me the Brute Force turned out to be it.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:32 AM

Excellent!

Sounds like you got a great price.

Those Terra Cross tires seem pretty nice, too. When the tires that are on my Foreman wear out, I think that's what I'll put on. Of the other radials out there, XTR's are a bit rougher than I need, and I understand the Bighorns don't clean well in goopy mud or sand. The Terra Cross might be just right for the mostly trail riding with some mud...

I also have a Warn 2500 on my machine, but next time I will opt for the 3000 pound with the synthetic cable- not because the 2.5 won't pull it out, but the 3.0 is better sealed... On the other hand, if they had one of the $69 deals on the 2.5...

Anyhow, congrats on the new machine. Report back once you've had a chance to run it around a bit.

Quick Reply: Best 4x4 Utility Quad ATV? and why?