Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Best 4x4 Utility Quad ATV? and why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 06:39 PM
DTR College Boy and FUN SIZED!!!!!!!!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an 03 Sportsman and that thing is a workhorse. No problems w/ it ever. The thing just goes and goes.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:53 PM

vtt

im also voting for the 800 its just awesome but you like the 660 raptor are you a yama man you should check the new yamaha 700 that thing is awesome too and when yamaha makes something its usualy on the top

ex everyone made those big 700 yamaha had a 660 that thing kicked mud 4 years in a row

i no the 800 is the top right now but check out the yamaha too
for me i got a small kodiak 400 but i wanted to trade it for a 800 or a 700 but the $$$$is just not there
around here in canada the 800 sells for 15 16 grand
2 things i like about a 400 im always last but when those big munsters stop for gas i go right by and 2 its paid for
Old 12-18-2006, 09:29 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go here for the compleat specifications on this atp.
http://www.atvrideronline.com/tested...laris_atp_4x4/
Old 12-18-2006, 10:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can see what I have in my sig. The Grizz has 3000 miles of hard rock crawluin and muddin on it. It has required a little maintenence but we beat the tar out of it. I am currently looking to replace my Raptor with a Rihno or 700 Grizz. I would love a 800 Bomb but probobly wont get one. My cousin bought one this summer and in a straight up drag race it will beat my 700 Raptor. Thats embarasing to say the least but oh well, with 65 horse it out to be fast. If dont get the Rihno it will definatly be a 700 Grizz just because my wifes 660 Grizz has more than proven itself. If you are wanting something sporty waight for the Can-AM Renegade to hit the dealers. Its not cheap but it will out run most any stock machine sport or 4x4. It may be just what you need to keep the adrenaline rush of the sport machine and still be able to be in every mud hole your ute freinds hit.

Ya I think my offical vote goes to this one.
http://www.can-am.brp.com/en-US/Vehicles/Renegade/
http://www.atvconnection.com/Feature...negade-800.cfm
Old 12-19-2006, 12:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I appreciate everybody's input.

Honestly, I had not really considered the Can Am (bombardier). I may have to take a second look at it. I read an article (shootout) in Dirtwheels Mag recently that said it was the fastest by far, but it didn't do anything else very well. The suspension did not get very high marks, at least according to the writers of that particular article. If you are looking at a drag race machine, it was the one.

I really like the idea of the Fuel Injection on the Griz 700. They are popular and seem to hold up well. Not class leading in any catagories, but always do well.

The Hondas I know have the best dependability reputation from most everybody I talk to about them. But I have ridden some and they are slow. I don't know if that new 680 Rubicon w/fuel injection is better or not....probably. They are kinda pricey too, though.

I just bought my son a Kawasaki Bayou 250 for Christmas. He doesn't even know about it yet...but it will be a big step up from his 2001 Yamaha Badger 80. I just tend to like Kawasaki's. Some relatives of mine have a Kawi Prairie 650 and I have ridden it quite a bit.......that thing is very nice. Been very dependable. They think I should get the Brute Force because it is similar to the prairie with the V-twin set up but with 4 wheel independent suspension. But I don't like the fact that it is not fuel injected. May not be a deal killer though. They are priced nicely.

Sooooooo....the decision is still up in the air at this time. I appreciate everybody's input.........and keep it coming if you have more. I will have to continue my research and soul searching for now.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:41 AM
Banned

Polaris..... I have two of them a 03 5oo H.O. and a 05 700 and I have worked the **** out of them both and they keep on going.. I've ridden mine to downed game and friends just shake their heads.. You have to be smart with a 700 lb bike... I have no complaints... But I am lucky enough that my brother in law sells them and I am a regualar when it comes to repairs -- stupid stuff I do to break them... But haven't had any problems with either of the two as of yet...

Shane
Old 12-19-2006, 12:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The Bombardier suspension was great, and it handled all types of terrain well.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:16 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Currently I have a 500 Foreman, which is kind of the stone axe in Honda's line-up. It has way better handling/suspension than the 450 Foreman, but is still a geared 5 speed, 2 valve air cooled engine with solid rear axle. They are pretty tough.

A buddy of mine just got a Rubicon, the four valve hydrostat automatic, liquid cooled auto. In addition to two auto modes, it can emulate gears simulated via push buttons. It might be a better choice for snow plowing and stuff like that since it's easier to switch between forward and reverse gears.

Another friend has a Rincon, Honda's only IRS utility. It's liquid cooled with a torque converter type 3 speed auto, and it rides suprisingly smootly over rough stuff. Down steep, technical decents where my machine would hold 1-2 mph in low w/o brakes, the Rincon would end up doing like 7 w/o brakes... Not a big deal as you just use the brakes, but don't expect it to have the same kind of engine braking as the Foreman or Rubicon.

The Griz seems to be considered a very good all round utility machine, with good handling, good transmission, good power.

The Kaw BF750 has lots of power, and I like their progressively locking differential.

I'm thinking about a 2nd quad myself, and the Bomb 800 sounds really nice. Some of the folks on ATV discussion boards say that it needs skid plates to keep the frame from getting bashed up, though, and there were also some threads about the bottom of the seat melting from exhaust heat. The Renegade sounds pretty neat... Looks like the same basic drivetrain but with ligher, sportier wheels/tires, better suspension, no racks and sport body work...
Old 12-19-2006, 07:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Something I would consider is the new Artic Cat v-twin diesel ATV.

MikeyB
Old 12-19-2006, 07:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I believe the V-twins in the Arctic Cats are Kawasaki engines. I could be wrong, though.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff in TD
The Renegade sounds pretty neat... Looks like the same basic drivetrain but with ligher, sportier wheels/tires, better suspension, no racks and sport body work...
Definately. I've been wanting a sporty quad with 4x4 ever since I started riding and finally Can-Am builds one. The Renegade is going to change the quad world out here where I ride, I already know 2 guys with deposits on them. They say it runs side by side with the DS 650 in the straight line which is pretty impressive and the suspension is supposed to be incredible
Old 12-19-2006, 04:52 PM

I didn't like the HOnda style of shifting. the Yamahas are hard to beat, I have a Polaris but only because I got a heck of a deal on it. I wanted to buy a bombardier, but who can afford it?
I also prefer the Polaris means of hitching: it is to the frame and not the rear axle housing.
Frankly, all the companies that have made motor bikes for a long time have that whole small engine, dirve train thing down pretty cold.
Old 12-20-2006, 04:33 PM

My inputs on them. If you ride only to work on a farm or a house, you cant beat the honda. IMO the fun factor isnt there. They finally put disc brakes on the Rincon. No front locker though. I currently own a Brute force 750 and it rips. Not much can keep up, but the ride is horrible. After a full days ride, my butt is sore. My wife drove it once for a mile and no more. Too ruff for her. Before the Kawi, I had an 02 griz and an 04 griz. 02 burned up in a fire and I look back now and am thankfull. That thing never ran right. Fuel boiled, sputtered, POS. The 04 I got because I was die hard yamaha fan. That thing broke shafts like crazy and then started sputtering and fuel probs were coming. I finally sold it. My wife had a 02 sportsman 500 and it worked flawlessly except for the clutch. It had to do with the h pattern shifter. It did all the work at the house. The Bombi is sweet. But a buddy has a 400 and the visco loc doesnt lock in very fast. Have to spin the tires a bunch to get em to lock in. Plus they are very expensive. That is why I dont have one. Another buddy had an arctic kitty with the H2 motor. That machine was horrible. Always was getting pulled back. Maybe he got a lemon, but it never ran good. My wife now runs a 700 sportsman and the only thing I dont like about it is the rear ebs. If it had all 4 ebs it would be perfect for US. If I had to do it all over again, she would be riding a 500 sportsman and I would have an 800 sportsman. Not as fast as the kawi or bombi, but so comfortable. Plus the storage is very sweet. And I have had great luck with polaris's. My kawi has the 4 year warranty and I would sell it immediately after. I just got it from the shop yesterday for a brand new motor. It has been the worst quad I owned. The dealer had it since September. I run my stuff hard and so far the Polaris is the only thing that can hang. The new honda's with all the electric crap arent very good sellers up here in alaska. Most hondas you see getting sold are the ranchers and foremans. Mostly hunting and fishing in the bush. On most quads, if the electronics take a crap, your machine dont run. The ranchers dont have that. All in all they all are pretty good. Polaris and bombi are heavier compared to the jap bikes. Although I prefer steel skid plates over plastic. Look at them all and decide. Warranty is a good thing to have. One more thing, we both got our new 05 quads at the same time, her polaris hasnt been to the dealer once in a year. My kawi has been to the dealer at least a dozen times in the same year. Some for minor repairs, the last time for a major repair. Good luck deciding.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:05 PM

It all depends on what you are wanting to do with it. I have a suzuki King Quad 700 EFI. I can not imagine a better riding/handling machine out there. I use this on my small farm towing stuff and also for play. It has plenty of power and it will go 74mph. The smoothness of this machine is unbelievable. I originally wanted a polaris but they are soo freakin heavy. If it were me I'd be looking at the Suzuki or the new 700 Grzzly with EFI and powersteering.
Darrell
Old 12-20-2006, 06:12 PM

I have the Arctic Cat 650 H1 water cooled auto trans...
Not the fastest but you can't ride 60 on the trails anyway. Since I have back problems I wanted a smoth riding machine, It has all the power I need.

Quick Reply: Best 4x4 Utility Quad ATV? and why?