Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Best 4x4 Utility Quad ATV? and why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 02:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Best 4x4 Utility Quad ATV? and why?

I am considering buying a Utility Quad to replace my Kawasaki KFX 400 sport ATV. I had originally wanted to replace with an 07 Yamaha Raptor 700 EFI, but realistically...most of my riding is with others who have utility quads and we just trail ride. They tend to like Hondas the best.

Does anybody have some personal use experience with various utility quads that can give me the best direction to find the one right for me?

I probably tend to lean toward Kawasaki...maybe the Brute Force or Prairie machines. But I am open to any of the major brands including the Yamaha Grizzly, Hondas, Suzukis, and maybe Bombardier and Arctic Cats.

Probably will consider anything 650cc and up.

Any advise, experience with the machines would be appreciated....pro and con.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally i have a 2003 honda rubicon. Its been a great 4wheeler and has NEVER let me down. Ive had it completely submerged in water on several occasions Everytime we pull it out let the water drain out of the exhaust and she fires right up and keeps on runnin like a champ. Its been a great machine. Im kind of partial to hondas but the kawasaki brute force is good quad too. One of my friends has a Brute Force 750 (i think, maybe 770 or 700). Anyways, i took a spin on that thing and Its definitely the fastest utility 4wheeler ive ever been on. As far as speed and acceloration itll put my honda to shame
Old 12-18-2006, 05:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Nephew has a new Bombardier 800 (the one above 650) and it is awesome! I rode it in Alaska to their cabin in the boonies. If I were to buy one, I would buy that one.
My uncle has a JD, and he likes it.
We had Arctic Cat quads at work, and they were ok, but broke rear axles fairly easy, as well as hub assemblies.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:11 AM

I vote for the Bombadier 800 too... that thing is a monster. IMO the best of the big displacement machines, it does everything well. It comes in a Renegade version now along with the Outlander version. And Bombardier is actually called Can-Am now.

I rode a Kawi Brute Force in a quad rally last spring and it was very powerful but the other Brute Force that was riding with us snapped a front axle. The Suzuki 700 EFI KingQuad is probably my second favorite.

I don't mind Honda ATV's, they're bulletproof and we've had a 1995 Honda 300 4x4 that lasted years without a single problem. Only downside to the Honda utility ATVs is they're usually under suspended and under powered compared to other machines in their class. Their Rincon is the slowest of the full size machines.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Depending on what you are doing with it have you checked out these new mini trucks? For $5K you get a vehicle with a cab, heater, can go 60mph all day, 4x4, tilt box, automatic, radio, ect. They are imported from Japan and are selling like hot cakes. Great for farm work, carry 700 pounds, 45HP in heated comfort.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuk...spagenameZWDVW
Old 12-18-2006, 07:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a '99 Kawasaki Prairie 300 4x4 and it's been great. I pull a ATV trailer to haul corn to the remote deer feeders on our lease.

MikeyB
Old 12-18-2006, 07:43 AM

Honda is probably the most dependable quad, a little out dated sitting next to a Can-Am.
Can-Am has the best of all brands wrapped into a very fast, best handling, sharpest looking ATV quad out. Everyone who has one remarks how much more power a Can Am has over the other brands and how well they handle.
Just find a dealer that carries Can Am and a couple of the other brands, check them over, you can easily see why the Can Am is tops.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:55 AM

If you’re looking for a powerful sport-like utility quad then look no further than the Outlander 800.

I only wish I had a place to ride it now. After moving from AK to OH back in June I haven’t been able to take it out it so it’s going up for sale with under 350 miles on it. I refuse to drive 3-4 hours to get to some good riding terrain.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:58 AM

The company I work for sponsors a couple of the Can-Am 800s in the GNCC racing series and those things are awesome. They are modded of course but the acceleration is downright brutal on those things and they hold up very well to racing.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:00 PM

I know you said you want a 650 or up but i would suggest 100% to look at the kodiak 450. I have one with 27's on it and is literally unstoppable. My girlfriend put it in the 300ft mud pit that the competition mud trucks run in and it came out the other end twice. A guy on a foreman 400 with 27's tried to follow her and couldnt even make it half way, even most of the mud trucks couldnt make it through that day. The Kodiak is very agile for a 4wd even on 27's and it has the diff lock. Its not as fast as the bigger ones but i bet you i can go anywhere they go.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:48 PM

The Kodiak 450 is a nice piece too. Small, agile and fairly quick...at least quicker than a Sportsman 600
Old 12-18-2006, 02:09 PM
Banned

2004 grizzy 660 here, 2600 hard miles of rock crawling, fast paced rocky trail riding and mud that was up to and over the handlebars more than once. we have larger 27" mudlite tires on it and im a heavy rider (345lbs) and i run the pants off that bike. it needs cleaned good to keep the mud out of some areas where mud shouldnt be, but other than that the damage is listed below.

the damage=2 wheel bearings have worn out, easily replaced.

handles alright at high speeds, but the tires added a bit of body roll by raising the COG. its agile, and the IRS makes it stabile on rocks and even terrain at low speeds. the CVT tranny is nice and power is smooth, with my big rear end and the bigger tires it tops out at 56mph...fast enough for any 900lbs quad/rider combo.

just my experience with yamaha, its reliable and always starts and stays running, even in sub 20* temps (just use the choke and have a good plug in it)
Old 12-18-2006, 04:54 PM
Banned

I just sold a Honda 400 and was going to buy a Honda 500 Rubicon until I strted looking at a 700 Artic Cat.
I can get a 2007 Artic Cat 700 for less money than a 2006 Honda 500.
The local Cat dealer seems very knowledable about his product and I can see customer support would be easy dealing with him.
So Ill see later today what its going to be?
Old 12-18-2006, 06:03 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Geico266
Depending on what you are doing with it have you checked out these new mini trucks? For $5K you get a vehicle with a cab, heater, can go 60mph all day, 4x4, tilt box, automatic, radio, ect. They are imported from Japan and are selling like hot cakes. Great for farm work, carry 700 pounds, 45HP in heated comfort.

But... They look retarded...
Old 12-18-2006, 06:24 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No one has mentioned Polaris but I have had way better luck with Polaris i currently have a Polaris ATP 500ho with the engine brake. I have one other Polaris that has a whole in the back of the transmission and i can guarantee you can go out there put a battery in it and put trany fluid in it and it would run all day long and give you no problems. For a work horse I have hauled rocks salt barb wire you name it. It has a dump bed lots of storage and the front rack can double as a ice chest. Here are the specs with some photos

Specs http://g.msn.com/9SE/1?http://www.po...=2&CS=AWP&SR=2

Photos will comes once my internet stops throwing a tantrum

Quick Reply: Best 4x4 Utility Quad ATV? and why?