Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Is a Belt Driven Tractor PTO Generator reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 02:59 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the price of a PTO driven generator, you can big up some good sized deisel gens off some of teh US Surplus sites for less money...
Old 01-23-2007, 05:37 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by jlipskoc
Thanks for the info, looks like I'll just bypass this whole belt idea.

BC, Is that your tractor/gen setup? Yup

Isn't there a 'torque' involved when running it, unless you bolted that peice to the floor. Yes, there is substantial torque involved. The genset is sitting on spring mounts bolted to a couple of 4x6's. They in turn are bolted to a frame of 8x8's which is recessed into a gravel bed.

When you do run it, I'm guessing you have a detached garage? and leave the doors open. The tractor/genset are in a sound-proofed building that has a powered ventilation system that breaths through building penetrations that are also sound-proofed.

Are you concerned with someone stealing your tractor while its running? or do you live in the country. I live in the country, still though I built the shed in the woods at the edge of the yard. It's effectively hidden by brush and trees. The power cabling is buried underground. Being hidden in the woods and sound-proofed, you'd never know it's there during operation.

How big is that unit in the picture, how much hp is your tractor and what kind of fuel consumption /hr do you use? The Dayton brand (Genrac built) genset is rated for 25kw continuous (100A @ 240vac) and 50kw surge. It's powered by a John Deere 5210 (3cyl diesel 56hp engine with 45hp at the PTO (rated @ 540rpm).
Supporting a 16seer 3 ton heat-pump and the typical energy efficient electric home, I burn about 3/4 gal an hour average when not being conservative.

What about air flow, i notice you don't have much air space to the rear of it, which way does the air flow go. Just behind the gearbox, directly mounted to the alternator shaft is a full size fan impeller that pulls air through the control box, though the genset proper and out. There's actually about 6" between the control box and the actual wall of the shed (ignoring the open 2x4's).

One of my concerns is getting the tractor/pto combo positioned to the rear of the house during bad weather, now we have 4 inches of solid sleet/ice on the ground and its near impossible to walk on, and as I can't leave it outside if it the rain/snow due to getting the gen head wet.
There's no reason you can't build something like a dog house over a genset and simply have the PTO shaft protruding during operation as long as adequate ventilation is provided. I'm working with the wife's uncle on such a set-up. He's gonna build a small pump-house affair adjacent to his house. Just back the tractor up to it when needed.

It's true the low rpm (1800), 4-pole gensets are expensive, but I didn't want to have to worry about dealing with a worn out used system nor the maint associated with a dedicated engine. Because it's a 4-pole type, it's inherently larger in size thus requiring much heavier construction. What isn't sheet metal, is cast iron. It includes a voltmeter as well as a frequency meter with automatic voltage regulation. It's output is a modified sine wave.

As presented, nothing runs under a full load and I can run it non-stop, 24/7 without worrying with it (barring fuel and oil change stops).

I don't know that I'll ever need to purchase another.

Hope this helps.

David