Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Becoming a Firemen!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
If you are in a system that does first response medical and has an ambulance service that does all transports please respect the Medics on the box, so what if they don't have fire certs, they are still paramedics and deserve your respect, they may just like the medical end of it more than the fire side so they choose to work the box, that doesn't make you any better than them. Just my $.02
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is a two way street, give it and get it.

Tim
I totally agree and treat everyone with the utmost respect, i like the fire end of it, but absolutely love the EMS side so i do ems, but am looking at some fire sevices that run their own boxes now. I only brought this up to a potential new firefighter try to discourage a trend that i see in a small percentage of firefighters and private ems medics.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:48 PM
Banned

ambulance drivers always get their tighty whities in a wad

brett
Old 12-18-2007, 12:54 PM

i would look in to the blinn campus in college station. they offer a bs in fire science along with emt / paramedic courses. while your there go to the TEEX office and sign up for the fire academy. there is usually a year or so waiting list to get in.

http://teexweb.tamu.edu/teex.cfm?pag...emplateid=1527

i know a lot of the larger departments will train you, but depending on their budget and employment needs it is cheaper for them to hire someone who is allready certified. it will also open the door to the many smaller depts that only hire pre certified. i went thru blinns fire sience program while i was also going to aTm and picked up my fire cert in the summer of 2000 thru teex. the ink on my certificate wasnt even dry and i got hired on with HFD. i never regret the desion i made (dropped out of aTm to take the job with the city). the pay as many have said isnt the best , but every time i hear one of my white collar, suit wearing buddies say they hate their job........ i just smile.
good luck andif you have any questions feel free to send me a pm.

trey
Old 12-18-2007, 12:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by roxj
i would look in to the blinn campus in college station. they offer a bs in fire science along with emt / paramedic courses. while your there go to the TEEX office and sign up for the fire academy. there is usually a year or so waiting list to get in.

http://teexweb.tamu.edu/teex.cfm?pag...emplateid=1527

i know a lot of the larger departments will train you, but depending on their budget and employment needs it is cheaper for them to hire someone who is allready certified. it will also open the door to the many smaller depts that only hire pre certified. i went thru blinns fire sience program while i was also going to aTm and picked up my fire cert in the summer of 2000 thru teex. the ink on my certificate wasnt even dry and i got hired on with HFD. i never regret the desion i made (dropped out of aTm to take the job with the city). the pay as many have said isnt the best , but every time i hear one of my white collar, suit wearing buddies say they hate their job........ i just smile.
good luck andif you have any questions feel free to send me a pm.

trey
A&M/TEEX isnt the same program that it was back when you and I went thru it. there are alot others out there that are better for the monrey that they want.

brett
Old 12-18-2007, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by rustyshakelford
A&M/TEEX isnt the same program that it was back when you and I went thru it. there are alot others out there that are better for the monrey that they want.

brett
that is sad to hear. i paid the extra money for the location since i allready lived in college station. if i remember correctly the san jac and hcc programs cost about half what teex does.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:16 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cbtumedic
I totally agree and treat everyone with the utmost respect, i like the fire end of it, but absolutely love the EMS side so i do ems, but am looking at some fire sevices that run their own boxes now. I only brought this up to a potential new firefighter try to discourage a trend that i see in a small percentage of firefighters and private ems medics.

I agree, excellent statement.
Old 12-18-2007, 02:18 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

brett

We had a crew from TEEX up here a couple years ago. They did a class on WMD's, top shelf instuctors, I enjoyed the class.

Tim
Old 12-18-2007, 03:12 PM

ambulance drivers always get their tighty whities in a wad

brett
HARSH, lol good one

Travis
Old 12-18-2007, 03:56 PM

DO IT firefighting is the greatest job on earth!!!!!!1
Old 12-18-2007, 04:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
We had a crew from TEEX up here a couple years ago. They did a class on WMD's, top shelf instuctors, I enjoyed the class.

Tim
TEEX is a great program, their fire school that was known all over the world is what im talking about. its gone thru alot of growing pains from what i hear. im sure its good, but there are other options for the amount of money that it costs to go there.

brett

and i was just playing travis
Old 12-18-2007, 04:39 PM

Thank Ya'll for the input!! i appreciate it! I cant go a day without thinking of it i want to become one right now. I plan on going to trinity valley community college. I just left blinn and came back home. I was signed up to go to that firefighting training facility but since i moved back home i will have to do it later. I will try agian after i graduate from tvcc. I also do plan to get my ems. For it will only help me get my foot in the door.

I hope it is like what ya'll say! I want to earn my right to later on be a senior, you might say. I hope i do get picked on, in a good way! Thats just how it goes and i respect that.

It is like in the movie "Ladder 49"... I know that it is just Hollywood. but thats all i have to go by.
Thanks agian.
Trapper
Old 12-18-2007, 05:06 PM

These days you have to be of color or a woman to have a chance...at least around here that is the case
Old 12-18-2007, 07:47 PM

thats part of the reason i went the route i did. i know a lot of guys that tried to get on with houston two or three times going thru the testing and application proces before they actually got hired.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:12 PM

WOW i hope it isn't like that when i apply. If i can do the job better i should get the job. And vise versa too! Well thank ya'll for the info i appreciate it!
Trapper.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:54 PM

The Navy and Coast Guard train firefighters too .... don't cross them off of your options list. Lots of flight line and shipboard training along with flood control and chemical, biological & radiological defense and gas-free engineering too. Never a dull moment.

Glad you have set your sights on such a noble profession. It takes a special person to run in to a fire when all the sane folks are running out !!

PISTOL

Quick Reply: Becoming a Firemen!!!