Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Becoming a Firemen!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Becoming a Firemen!!!

Hey guy's i am thinking of pursuing the job of becoming a "Fireman", I am just asking what are ya'lls thoughts about this. What are some of the things that ya'll may incounter? ETC.... I have done the volunteer for about a year. I really enjoy it and figured i would like to do this. I am 18 years old and i am going to college. I know that the requirements here in TX is that i need my EMT and 60 hrs of college. So thats what i am going to get. My parents are paying for college, so i figured i should get it while i can. LOL I am a little worried about the pay, but what are the benefits. I have heard that this is one of the MOST rewarding jobs and that is what i am all about. I know i will take pride in the job. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks agian.
Trapper.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:03 PM
DTR Mom

Wink retired kinda, 26 years experience

NEVER drive fast
ALWAYS listen, think, then move
it's a BROTHERHOOD, and they are always the older ones- get used to being picked on, not doing it THIS WAY, left behind to clean up. and you'll love it.

please listen, never cheat on tests or exercise. eat well, drink enough and get the rest. this is not college, it is not optional. you go 100 percent after you think. don't know? ask! leave any ego in your truck. come back alive.

Heidi- test team manager and peer evaluator for US Fire Adminstration , Homeland Security. I HATE READING ABOUT FIREFIGHTER FATALITIES!!!!
107 so far this year. STOP< THINK< TAKE CARE OF NUMBER ONE!

oh, did you want the softer version?
Old 12-17-2007, 03:12 PM
Chapter President

The pay is not great. I'll tell you that. In 3 years I've increased over $10,000 in pay though.

I will say this. There has not been a single day that I have dreaded going to work. I LOVE my job.

It is very rewarding. I don't know a lot about being a Texas FF but if there's anything I can help you with or talk to you about, feel free to give me a call or shoot me a pm. I'll tell you the goods and bads and let you decide.

There is also enough time off for me to own a diesel performance business.

Adam Hurdt
828-778-4598
Old 12-17-2007, 04:22 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Becoming a Firefighter is one of the best decisions that I have ever made. It turned me from a punk kid into a productive member of society. I joined the FD when I was 24. Until then I didn’t have much direction in my life. I always thought about becoming a Firefighter since I had other members of my family that were (had been) Firefighters but I let other things get in the way. Once I joined I felt that I had an extended family of brothers and sisters working toward the same goal (much like the military I suppose). This career just fit. I graduated rookie school and put forth the effort to be the best that I could be and it has paid off in dividends.
I am now in my 13th year on the job, was promoted to Captain in 11 years (which is extremely fast for our Dept.), and have friendships that I will cherish for as long as I live. The people that you work with are truly your extended family. You will spend at least a third of your life with them. You will get to know them (sometimes better than their spouses) and be involved in their lives. I have never met or worked with a group of people more willing to help others than Firefighters.

About the pay… You will never become “rich” monetarily with this job. Don’t get me wrong, the pay is not bad (in fact it's quite good here) but the rewards that you get by actually “doing” the job far outweigh the pay. Even though you will seldom be recognized for you actions, you, and the people that you work with, will know what sort of impact you have made with the job that you do. Trust me, there are very few things that can compare to running inside a burning building.

This isn’t just a job. This is a career and it is a career that has a far-reaching impact on other people’s lives (including your own). If you decide to go this direction you will not be disappointed with your decision.

Feel free to P.M. me with any questions.

Britton Turner
Capt. T-15 Little Rock Fire Dept.
Little Rock AR.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:23 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

I was a volunteer firefighter in a small community a while back. One thing is for sure the brewing companies sure take good care of you. They where always sending us refreshments. One time we where enjoying a keg of refreshments at the captains house. Stupid alarm went of, was one of the member's garage so we put it out just in time to save the foundation. Always had a great time with the other members, and we all looked out for each other. Remembering those times brings a smile to my face as I type. Good luck with your endevour.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:46 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Britt, no truer words have been spoken. Very well stated.

The pay does stink, thats why a lot of us have second jobs. For the most part the schedules are excellent and allow for a good part time job.

In all honesty, you should prepare your self to deal with a lot of tragedy, I have seen grown men come and go at my dept because the things we have to deal with. Getting in with a good crew will make all the difference.

As my fellow trucky and Captain has stated, it is a career and a way of life, not to be taken lightly.

Best of luck,

Tim
Old 12-17-2007, 05:47 PM

Well Thank Ya'll for your input. I am pretty sure i am going to go for it. I really LOVE being apart of a team. I wanted to join the military but when my brother joined and had to go to Iraq (he just got back) he told me and my parents the type of things that he had to go through, my parents wouldn't let me join. Any more info would be appreciated.
Thanks agian.
Trapper.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:56 AM

God gave you two ears and one mouth for a reason....................

listen to what the older( cranky or not) fireman have to say!!!!
don't get cocky when you get to do something right, but share it with them they will appreciate a thanks once in a while also.

chances are you will not make chief the first week so don't act like it hahah
not everyone can lead so don't be afraid to follow for a while.
most importantly........... do what ever you can to build trust and friendship as soon as possible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! their life is in your hands as yours is in theirs just a few notes from 20 years doin the job
Old 12-18-2007, 08:08 AM
Banned

dont go to online fire school. since your going to college, get your associates in fire science. become a paramedic. the field is very competitive and youll need every bit of help you can get. look into a large dept that will pay you to get all your certs like dallas/ft worth/houston. sometimes its easier to get cert. on your own and go from there...

good luck.

brett
Old 12-18-2007, 10:08 AM

Get your paramedic, without it you are limited as to who will hire you, all the really good fire jobs require you to be a paramedic. DON'T be a "nozzlehead" that is a quick way to end up on everyone's bad side. Leave the ego at home. If you are in a system that does first response medical and has an ambulance service that does all transports please respect the Medics on the box, so what if they don't have fire certs, they are still paramedics and deserve your respect, they may just like the medical end of it more than the fire side so they choose to work the box, that doesn't make you any better than them. Just my $.02
Old 12-18-2007, 10:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How old is too old to try to be a rookie fireman I have a buddy who just moved back here after a divorce and he wants to be a fireman but he's like 31 or 32. I didnt have the heart to tell him I didnt think there was any chance of him getting on.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:20 AM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Originally Posted by tbarbee1
How old is too old to try to be a rookie fireman I have a buddy who just moved back here after a divorce and he wants to be a fireman but he's like 31 or 32. I didnt have the heart to tell him I didnt think there was any chance of him getting on.
36 here but in my opinion that is getting pretty old to start this career.

Britt

Old 12-18-2007, 11:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im 25 years old and a firefighter here in nj for 3 years now..yeah pay is always and issue and the city always trying to lay off and go towards vol..we run the ambulance, beach patrol and water resuce stuff

my advice to ya is if you lucky enough to get in..keep your mouth shut and just listen not matter what it is..there has never been a day where i dont want to get up and go to work...huge smile across my face everytime i scrub those toilets
Old 12-18-2007, 11:23 AM

I got on the job at 33, I went to the academy with a couple guy's in there mid 40's. It all depends on the community you are applying to. I will be selling back military time so I can get the full pension benefit.

Tim
Old 12-18-2007, 11:26 AM

If you are in a system that does first response medical and has an ambulance service that does all transports please respect the Medics on the box, so what if they don't have fire certs, they are still paramedics and deserve your respect, they may just like the medical end of it more than the fire side so they choose to work the box, that doesn't make you any better than them. Just my $.02
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This is a two way street, give it and get it.

Tim

Quick Reply: Becoming a Firemen!!!