Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Barking pups

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barking pups

I just got a 9week old Chocolate lab. He's a really cool dog. Of course, he is a puppy. And if you are not within 20 ft of him, he finds the need to bark. Im trying to find a good way to train him not to bark. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks, oh and by the way, his name is Laramie . (Wasnt even thinkin of a dodge when I came up with it either)
Old 06-12-2007, 08:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What you can do is get him a stuffed animal and put a wind up clock inside it so it sounds like a hearbeat to him. (momma). If that don't work, get him a cat.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:25 AM

You could get the shcok collar that gives him a little shock every time he barks. I would try other methods first though. he is just a pup, I'm sure he will learn when to bark and when not to before long. Patience is the key.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:39 AM

If you do the stuffed animal thing, make sure it's of tough enough construction that the pup won't be able to tear it apart and choke on the pieces. Warm water bottles supposedly help, too. I never did any of that stuff, though.

It is very important to make it clear to the pup at this age that you will not tolerate separation anxiety. Going to the pup whenever he whines loud enough will teach him that he can get you to come back by making noise, and the problem will get worse rather than better.

Getting him his own crate can help him feel protected and safe (like he's in a den) when you're not around.

Chris
Old 06-12-2007, 12:19 PM

Thanks for the advice. he has a crate, but doesnt like it at all. Ive tried to keep him on a chain, but he never stops barking then. The chain is only temp., as I should have his kennel together tonight. I dont think correction like the bark collar would be good for a pup this age. It would confuse him more than anything. I truly believe that once I get him a kennel he'll be better. He is fine as long as he can see me or is free, so if I give him room to roam, where he cant run away or be run over, he will be happy. Thanks again.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:28 PM

And I dont want him to completely quit barking. I dont mind the barking when its needed, but barking cause his lonely, thats what I want to cure.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:50 PM

last spring i bought and English Bulldog pup and I have 2 small daughters. Everytime my girls would run and play the dog would bite them. I almost returned the dog but the guy i bought the dog from said to get a kennel so i did.
It made a world of difference. She became MUCH more behaved in just a week or two. Now she loves her kennel and she sleeps in it even when the door is open. It is HER house and no one elses.
I think if you go the kennel route your pup will settle down and be just fine...
Old 06-12-2007, 12:58 PM

Buy a couple toys that he likes and only let him play with them when he's in his crate. Crate-specific toys and lavish praise help pups adjust to crates more quickly...

Chris
Old 06-12-2007, 02:59 PM

12 gauge...

or put him in a burlap sack and throw it in the river.

Come on, I was only joking. Hope he grows out of it.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:53 PM

You think the barking is bad? Wait till he starts chewing up your stuff! Aren't labs notorious for chewing things?
Old 06-12-2007, 04:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DmaxEter
You think the barking is bad? Wait till he starts chewing up your stuff! Aren't labs notorious for chewing things?
Funny that you say that, I have a lab pup (right at 8 months now) that has had a FEW whoopins from my wife for chewing up her shoes! I kinda get a kick out of it and tell her "well, if you'd put them up in the closet like you yell at ME to do, I don't reckon he'd be able to chew them up, ya know!? " then she at me a bit...His thing right now is getting the moles that like to dig in the back yard...well of course HIS digging is WAY worse than the moles, but what can ya do? Other than getting those underground shock sensor thingamajigs that scare the moles away. I refuse to whoop a dog that is digging after little instigating moles.

As for the barking thing...obviously when I got my pup he was just a baby (9 weeks old)...I too got him some toys, but then I closed him in the garage with only his toys, bed and our cat. They QUICKLY became buddies and now are inseperable, but the barking/whining stopped after only a couple nights. Then every morning before I had to go to work, I would go out to the garage, ignore the poop and pee that he "dropped off" for me (since he was SO young and pups his age literally CAN'T hold it all night, especially at first) and I would give him a LOT of praise, petting, etc to let him know that the garage was his place at night, but not for good and that every morning would be hang out time...I ONLY whipped him when I caught him in the act of peeing/pooping in the house (if you wait hours, he won't know what in the WORLD you are whipping him for) then throw him out...

I think that I got lucky with a VERY smart, VERY obedient dog because at the age of 4 months, he was completely house broken, knew how to sit, play fetch, stay and lay down...he is still head strong every once in a while (as any lab pup is) but he knows when you raise your voice you mean business...they are work but WELL worth it...here's my pup, Colby

Old 06-12-2007, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by s cesnick
last spring i bought and English Bulldog pup and I have 2 small daughters. Everytime my girls would run and play the dog would bite them. I almost returned the dog but the guy i bought the dog from said to get a kennel so i did.
It made a world of difference. She became MUCH more behaved in just a week or two. Now she loves her kennel and she sleeps in it even when the door is open. It is HER house and no one elses.
I think if you go the kennel route your pup will settle down and be just fine...
You mean a box kennel or a 8x10 cage type kennel? My dog hates his crate kennel.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:53 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by grantx5
12 gauge...

or put him in a burlap sack and throw it in the river.

Come on, I was only joking. Hope he grows out of it.
hahaha... I was going to joke about that, too...
Old 06-12-2007, 10:16 PM

Put my kennel up today. 14'x7' and he loves it! Hes free yet contained, and he is happy as could be. The barking has stopped for now. Got him a toy sheep that he really likes, and gonna find another toy he likes just to keep in his home. For those who are worried about me keeping him penned up, its just for nights and when were not where we can make sure he doesnt run off.

And what really surprises me is his fast pace training. The previous caretakers kept their dogs inside, and so he really wanted to come inside. Every time we walked in he would try to follow us in, or scratch on the door (sliding glass). Just a light tap on his nose and a 'no' or pick him up by the scruff of his neck to take him out seemed to be enough. In just 3 days he is already learning. Plus, when I did keep him in my room the first 2 nights, he waited all night till I could take him out in the morning to go to the bathroom, when he would make a mad dash out of the yard to where Im teaching him to go.

I gotta say, this dog is a real hoot! Great character, plus being lab, he LOVES the water. Im getting him a pool tomorrow, cause as soon as I fill his drinking water, he goes swimming in it.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:20 AM

You are right about the chewing. I got a black lab 9 years ago and over a period of one year he chewed up a complete wooden pic-nic table. Well the wife had enough of that and bought a wrought iron patio set. The funniest thing was to see him put his mouth around it and realize he could not chew it !!!! Now he just sleeps on top of it like he owns it, the wierdest thing. he also has the affection for moles and squirells and really any little fury creacher that can move faster than him.

Something you might want to do while yours is still a pup is get him around gunfire so he does not develop a phobia of loud noises. it has worked for all of mine.

Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Barking pups