Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Which bank

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 11:08 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which bank

I'm in the process of looking for a new bank because my stuck it to me real good last month. I'm open to any suggestions. I've thought about wells fargo but I've heard nothing but bad things about them. I'm considering washington mutual, citibank, compass bank, and bank of america. I'm gonna have a savings (tranny fund) and checking account. So let me know what yall use and which one doesn't screw you the worst.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:20 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They're all crooks.
Any chance at hooking up with a Credit Union or maybe a local bank?

I have mortgages with both Wells and a local establishment, both treat me okay.

As far as checking and savings, I have had the most success with private credit unions (which are more and more easier to get memberships to these day).

The criteria for the one I am a part of now is that you must live,work or worship in the city of Newark, DE. I worked there when I opened up the account, and once you're in, you're in.

The have some nice features, 10.99% fixed Mastercard (been that way since '97) . Good car loan, second mortgage and unsecured rates.

Is there such a thing as a credit union in TX? Guess I should have asked that first?
Old 04-29-2006, 11:46 AM

I've used B of A for many years and the only times I've had problems they have been solved by a phone call. If you have "direct deposit" they don't charge for checking accounts no matter what balance you carry.

HC
Old 04-29-2006, 11:50 AM
Urban Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A while back I had a person write me a check when I went to the bank that the check was wrote on they charged me $5.00 to cash it.
Come to find out a lot of the larger banks are starting to do this.
What I’m trying to say here is watch out, I will not do business with any bank that has this policy nor will I accept a check from a bank that does this. The ones that I know of are Bank of America and Bank One ($3.00 fee) and Wachovia ($5.00 fee). Ithink that Citi Bank does this also but not sure.

It seems that the mid sized banks give the best service but maybe that’s just me.
Old 04-29-2006, 12:42 PM
Banned

been with Wells Fargo for 5 years both personal and business, no problems

B of A, SUCKS

JUST MY 0.02
Old 04-29-2006, 01:10 PM
Banned

I am a member of a credit union but it's back home so it's not exactly conveinent to deal with otherwise I would. I love our credit union.
Old 04-29-2006, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you looked into the schools credit union?

phox
Old 04-29-2006, 02:34 PM
Banned

Schools credit union? Didn't know such a thing existed. Won't do me much good cause I'm transferring next semester hopefully.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:43 PM

We use B of A.. Free because of Direct Deposit.. but mainly use it because of the number of locations they have.. Since I travel alot.. I can go to almost any city and find a bank or ATM.. and I like their On line Banking... I haven't been to a Bank in over a year... We have interest checking too.. but the rates suck... Texas First.. a local bank had good service, and much better rates on interst checking.. but too hard to get too...
I also use the deposits at the ATM's all the time... And I can write checks online, and they will cover the cost of mailing the check to the person...
I recommend using some one else like UBS for you savings/investing acounts.. they have accounts you can write checks from too..
Old 04-29-2006, 02:57 PM

As stated look into local credit unions. I am a member in three different ones and each is in a different state.

I am happy with my credit unions. I had a family emergancy and needed a $1000 and had it in about 3 hours. I haven't dealt with a bank since they wanted to charge me for a loan application, I got up and walked out. Figured they would make enough on the loan interest without needing to pay an upfront cost too.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:15 PM

Go with a local hometown bank or credit union. You could always open an account with the "Bank of Tye."

Tye
Old 04-29-2006, 10:15 PM

I have a no fee checking account with President's Choice Financial, ING Direct offers it also. If your comfortable banking online and such for there is literally no one on one support, I feel it is more than worth it. My old account used to dock my 44.00/month x 12, lot better the way I have it now.
There must be something similar.
Something very interesting came to my attention concerning a new service by Manulife Bank, it is very advantageous for those with mortgages, once I get more familiar will forward info on it.
I sure there are similar services available, even in TEXAS
Smart thing your doing shopping around, too bad I wasn't thinking that way in my 20s. us Frenchies are not known for our financial planning
Old 04-29-2006, 10:20 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
If you want to check out another, Farm Bureau Bank. I found out about it from my local Ins agent. Checked it out and decided to use them on my truck loan.

Interest dropped 6 points from "the best" my hometown bank would do. They also have some interesting plans for most other purchases, including land and housing.

I'll use them again.

(They are also located in Tx, I think)

Ed
Old 04-29-2006, 10:23 PM

I have a Wells Fargo and Comerica accounts.

Wells Fargo used to treat me right.
The local branch in the small town was nice. I've had an account with them for 16 years now. I like their online banking.

B of A has dis'ed me too many times to go back.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:53 PM

I have BOA, and have no issues what so ever. I called the other day to inquire about a card being declined, and was happy to speak to people in english.. They couldnt help me because im in AZ and my acct is in WA, so the transferred the call to yet another american who was happy to assist.. All in all great customer service every BOA i go into down here in AZ.

I hate their credit card though, high interest..

Quick Reply: Which bank