Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Bad Dodge dealer experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 08:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bad Dodge dealer experience

So Got my truck back yesterday, upset about the price...

So for them to mount and balance 4 37 inch tires. It cost me 94 dollars, they normal charge 47, but "those big *** things are really hard."

$54 for an oil change. They advertise synthetic oil change for that price on their website. Their reason for charging me that much for normal oil. "You have to specify when you drop it off, otherwise my mechanics will just put in whatever."

Then $140 to change my fuel filter. That is $90 for shop time and then the rest for the part.

Then there was various shop charges which brought the total to $313. That seems so high for what they did. I have absolutely no time or space to work on my truck myself, or to find a good place. Going to the Academy keeps me too busy.

This is Linder Dodge in New London, CT.

What are yalls thought on the prices?
Old 10-02-2009, 09:27 PM

wow, 140 to change a fuel filter. That is a 15 minute job with some time to spare, especially in a shop. That filter from Cummins is no more than $15.00.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got a deal with my local dealer ..... 4 oil/oil filter changes for $160 pre-paid. They use the approved synthetic oil and all I do is schedule it.

Fuel filters cost me $18, not counting the $7 for a quart of Power Service to top off the new filter and the $6 for the socket I use for the filter cap. 15 minutes later I'm tossing the old fuel filter.

They got you on the fuel filter, but the oil change seems like an okay price. I've seen as high as $85 for an oil change (Jiffy Lube, I didn't pay that much since I brought my own oil). I should had had a camera for the look on their face when I brought out 3 gallons of oil and told them to fill it. Thank goodness I brought my own oil, they had no clue.

Kris
Old 10-03-2009, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These are the kinds of frustrations which lead individuals to decide to do their own work.

You have to evaluate (1) the retail cost of the supplies. (2) the time required to do the work, and place the value of your time on that. (3) the tools required. (4) work conditions (space) required.

If you think you can do the chore at a greater savings in any of these four areas (or others as you think of them) then you will decide next time to go another route!

Personally, I just changed my fuel filter last week. I don't remember what they cost 'cause I bought 5ea about two years ago and still had one. Took 10-20 minutes. Had the socket and wrench. Had space to do the work. So, as an example it cost me $20 or less.

Balancing tires is something I have a difficult time finding really good results with, so I installed Centramatics at a one time cost of $180. I keep my vehicles for the long haul, so I could justify that cost. Rotating tires requires no special skills. I can find a shop to do that quickly and (to me) inexpensive.

I'm just suggesting evaluate your needs, time, cost, results and options. Then you can make a good decision for yourself. Good luck. And all this "stuff" is the least important as long as you get the greatest benefit possible from school!!
Old 10-04-2009, 05:37 PM

Why don't you see if there is another member of this fourm that lives in the area that would do the work for you at a lower price? You can always beat the dealer prices on routine maintance items ie; oil and filters.
Jay
Old 10-06-2009, 02:32 PM

Yeah, I have thought about trying to find someone in the area, but the closest regional chapter is in New Jersey, and plus, after rugby season ends, which is someone close, i will have much more time.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:44 PM

Mount and balance 4 new tires is about a $100 around here and definately not cheaper to do big tires. So, I'd say not too out of line. $80 would have been fair I think.
$54 for an oil change is not bad. Cost you over $40 for 3gal of non synthetic and a decent filter, so $10-12 labor is cheap.
$140 for a fuel filter change is highway robbery! They bent you over on that one.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:39 PM

never been to the Academy but many of the bases have shops you can rent to do your own work, might be worht checking out
Old 10-06-2009, 09:02 PM

i paid about that at much for a fuel filter on my old 02 at the dodge dealer here in fort collins, did that once and never again. as for the tires i have been going to a big o and they some how are doing it for free rotate and balance, they know i havent boughten the tires there but i think it is their way of getting repeat customers and so you buy tires there, just my $0.02
Old 10-07-2009, 09:26 AM

BigO is the shop that get's $25/tire to m&b up here, but it's Vail Valley. Everything costs more, except the views (and fuel to get the sleds to the hill in the winter! RIght across the highway!).
Old 10-07-2009, 02:37 PM

Wow, that hurts. I had my 1st fuel change done at the dealer and it was 105 bucks (never agian) AIR DOG on the truck, do it myself know. I have never spent more than 60 bucks on rotating and balencing tires. As for the oil change my local dealer was 65 bucks went to Grease Monkey 62 bucks with the Rotalla T goin in the truck.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:54 PM

Thanks guys, I dont feel that bad now, except for the fuel filter.

The navy base across the river has an auto shop, but I really dont have the time to get over there. I can only get out thur-sun. And with school and practice, I could get 30 minutes at the shop total, and they make you stop working 15min early to clean up, so that would leave me 15 minutes a day.

By the looks of how our season went, we wont be going to the play offs, so only 2 more weeks before I can start having time to work on it myself.