Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Backyard Propane Fumigation

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 11:15 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya know..... after following this thread, I am convinced Begle1 is serious about this........
Is it too soon to send flowers???????

BTW Begle ought ot be thanked for doing one of those things the rest of us just read and laugh about......
Old 11-19-2004, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that a call to Hank Hill (as in king of the hill) is due. Anything and everything to do with propane is in his noggin (at least he says so on TV). I had a bad experience with the BTU content of propane once, while changing out the thermocouple on my sister in-law's propane water heater. Let me tell you 1st handed that a small amount of pocketed gas can quickly remove facial hair, arm hair and leg hair............

Now I am beginning to wonder what Begle will look like after the big flash.......Can anyone say hairless chihuahua???????

Gary
Old 11-19-2004, 01:50 PM
Banned

So I take it nobody here has a propane induction system on their truck, nor has anybody looked at installing a propane induction system?
I guess it is more common amongst the Ford guys. Maybe I'll ask over at the Diesel Stop...
Old 11-19-2004, 01:56 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GREAT....blow up a Ford instead.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:41 PM
Banned

How about I ask it this way...

How do I construct a propane system for my awsome truck, which I can't do any damage to, if I have $800 and want to avoid killing myself? I also want to be able to accuratley control the propane brun, based on how much fuel is going into the engine?

(Let's work backwards... )
Old 11-19-2004, 06:16 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
You might try getting in touch with a 1st gen guy who goes by GACamper, he has a homemade system on his truck and seems willing to talk about it.

I don't want to give you any suggestions myself because I like you.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:20 PM
Banned

Ahh, shucks...
Old 11-19-2004, 07:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do you smoke? if so stop before going any further with your project.

if you do smoke what is it? no matter what it is you have burned too many brain cells.

besides the stroker boys have to try and pull off all that crazy shtuff to keep up with us

take no advise from a stroker. they are trying to get ahead of you by parking you. (on the moon)
Old 11-20-2004, 01:59 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Well Begle, I think first of all yoou should evaluate whether the propane will have the effects you want.
If you want to do it for economy or ecology (cleaner burn) - forget it. A set of EDM injectors will give you better results- without having to refill propane tanks.
If you want to do it for power: be prepared that it will cut into longevity. The problem is that under high boost the total compression and temperature will ignite the propane very early in the compression stroke and that will create very high pressure spikes (read head gasket failure amongst other, worse, things to buy then).
Personally I feel that there are more, and better ways to increase power and efficiency on the dodge ram trucks than using propane. The safety aspect is one part of it, the other part is mainly to have to handle a second fuel to be able to drive. (I don't know about the tax stuff on propane as a fuel ...)

AlpineRAM
Old 11-20-2004, 09:55 AM
Urban Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow, and I thought this post had something to do with getting rid of backyard pest like moles and gophers. Silly me
Old 11-20-2004, 10:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Begle1
So, I have a tank, regulator, nozzle, and generous amounts of duct tape.

What else goes into the professional systems that makes them so expensive?
I have to agree with Hoss, it isn't the duct tape.

First of all, let me preface this by saying that I have no hands-on experience with propane so what I'm about to say is at least second hand information.

Having said that, you have to realize that the tank used on a "professional" system is probably not the same as your typical 20# BBQ grill tank. Because it is used on a motor vehicle, it has to be DOT approved so it's usually much heavier duty (interpret, more expensive) than a typical grill tank.

Next, the "professional" systems for gas motors use a special carburetor to meter the gas flow in relationship to the load and throttle position and sometimes allow for switching between gasoline and propane. Again, more expense. DOT approval on anything will significantly increase it's price.

Having said that, have you looked on e-bay? I did a search in e-bay motors for propane and found several carburetors, some with regulators as well as several kits and some are pretty cheap. Also, check out this auction for a kit for a diesel. It has some pretty good information.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33598

Good luck and please don't blow up the gophers and moles.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:48 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
All kidding aside, I don't think it's a bad experiment, and was always kinda tempted to fool around with it on my ol diesel Volkswagen, try to get the horsepower up to 50. Anyway, I never did because propane is some volatile, unforgiving stuff. I guess, on one of our trucks, the key question is whether to introduce the stuff before or after the turbo. I have no idea. Try to see how the professional propane injection systems do it. I don't think the actual injection is a big mystery. It could spray in from a hose. Compressing it in the turbo may be enough to set it off though. No idea. May the force be with you.