Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Backyard Propane Fumigation

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 05:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Backyard Propane Fumigation

I'm thinking of doing a science project to measure the difference propane fumigation makes on a Diesel engine's emissions. As in, I fumigate oh so much propane, and I recieve oh so much reduction in emissions.
What I need to know is how I can jury rig a propane fumigator. What does such a propane system need? I don't need any safety features or anything, I just need to be able to presicely control the propane flow into the air intake. I'd like to also be able to retrofit the system onto a few different engines, so I can show that the results are more than a fluke.
So, what do you need to make such a system? Can I use an old Briggs carbureator as a fumigator, or do I need a little atomizer nozzle? Do I need to pressurize the system? Can I modify a NOS system?
Thank's for any help.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:08 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
errm.... propane is a gas. what are you planning on doing with the atomizer?

disclaimer: I know nothing about propane injection....
Old 11-16-2004, 07:20 PM
Banned

Err, good point. I don't know anything about propane inkection either. That's the problem...

I'm trying to figure out HOW the propane is injected, and how I can jury rig a system.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Backyard Propane Fumigation

Originally posted by Begle1
I don't need any safety features or anything,
I'll say one thing for ya - you certainly know how to "think out of the box"
Old 11-16-2004, 08:33 PM

stick one end of a tube in your intake, and connect the other end to a propane bottle. use a bbq regulator to adjust the gas. just don't do this to anything you really want, like your truck........
Old 11-16-2004, 08:48 PM
Banned

so long as your backyard is no wheres near my backyard I should be fine,,,,,,,
Old 11-16-2004, 09:35 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Would you mind terribly absolving DTR of all liability and writing me into your will before you start?
Old 11-16-2004, 09:51 PM
Banned

All you need to do is stick a tube into the intake? Pre- or Post- turbo?
But you don't need a venturi or anything?

No, I'm just going to use junkyard engines anyways. What's the worst I can do- blow a head gasket?

So, how would you keep it from exploding? Is it supposed to be externally pressurized? What is in the professional systems that makes them so much money?
Old 11-17-2004, 05:37 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Well- one of the things to consider would be that you are interested in the emissions under load- a defined load, so you'll need an engine dyno... some $$ for that- (you could ask Don M for pricing)- well then you'd need some exhaust gas analyses stuff (including quantity of constituents, would be nice with real time monitoring for tuning)- some more $$, that stuff is gonna need to go into a controlled environment (meaning an ittibitty A/C- $$) and you'd want to put it in soome shed so it won't be stolen. Some more $$

People who have done this and who invested $$ into tuning a system to an engine want to get some of these $$ back. So this is part of the price of a full system.

Just placing your gas grill with the safety shutoff disabled in front of the air intake with the engine reving at idle on some contraption will show you that you can add propane to a diesel engine, that the engine will react to it, and nothing more. You will potentially blow yourself up, kill some engines, hurt eventual bystanders, and get no significant results.

AlpineRAM
Old 11-17-2004, 09:34 AM

Originally posted by AlpineRAM
Well- one of the things to consider would be that you are interested in the emissions under load- a defined load, so you'll need an engine dyno... some $$ for that- (you could ask Don M for pricing)- well then you'd need some exhaust gas analyses stuff (including quantity of constituents, would be nice with real time monitoring for tuning)- some more $$, that stuff is gonna need to go into a controlled environment (meaning an ittibitty A/C- $$) and you'd want to put it in soome shed so it won't be stolen. Some more $$

People who have done this and who invested $$ into tuning a system to an engine want to get some of these $$ back. So this is part of the price of a full system.

Just placing your gas grill with the safety shutoff disabled in front of the air intake with the engine reving at idle on some contraption will show you that you can add propane to a diesel engine, that the engine will react to it, and nothing more. You will potentially blow yourself up, kill some engines, hurt eventual bystanders, and get no significant results.

AlpineRAM
you just had to bring some reality to this didn't you....
I thought the spare bbq parts was a great idea.....

I would suggest part of the cost of a system would allow for more or less gas based on throttle position and load. It would be next to useless to have a steady volume of propane entering the intake. it would be running lean at WOT and rich at idle....

BTW.... when you "fumigate" aren't you killing bugs or something?...
Old 11-17-2004, 10:31 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
A device to control volume according to load is really necessary. A rev limiter is advisable. If you add enough propane to make the engine run it will rev up- and the governor of the IP cutting off the diesel won't make a difference anymore. Therefore it's mandatory to install air shutoffs for rigs going to the oil fields- to prevent runaways.
Propane is a fuel for the engine- it will burn and it will also help to ignite the diesel a bit sooner, but the main effect is that more fuel is introduced. So if there's enough air more fuel means more power.
Any maker of diesel engines does spend lots of $$$ to regulate the fuel supply so you don't grenade the engine and have good driveability. So any unregulated fuel intake is questionable.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:38 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Backyard Propane Fumigation

I don't need any safety features or anything...
Famous last words. Kind of like "hey y'all watch this!!".
Old 11-17-2004, 10:41 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What's the worst I can do...
Hehehe....I shudder to think at what will become of you after a comment like that. Then again...I kind of get all giddy inside when I imagine the possibilities.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:57 AM

Imagine this senario;

A Skydiver is rapidly falling towards Earth, hopelessly wrapped up in his chute.

As he's plummetting towards the ground..... he notices Begel1 rocketing upwards toward him!

The Skydiver screams; "Hey! do you know anything bout parachutes?!?"

Begel1 screams back; "No! do you know anything bout Propane?!?"
Old 11-17-2004, 12:35 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Quick Reply: Backyard Propane Fumigation