Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Back Pain need input

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 02:25 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back Pain need input

Went to the doctor the other day for some serious back pain that I've been having. Cant even hold my own 9 month old son for more than a minute. Anyways, I had some x-rays and they sent me in for an MRI and come to find out I have 2 bulged disc in my back (L4,L5). Doctor tells me that only time or surgery will fix. Another person told me to try a Chiropratic Physician but I've always heard they dont work and sometimes they make it worse. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 04-04-2008, 02:28 PM
I think I can... I think...

I've used chiropractors quite often but if I had a bulging disc issue I don't think I would use one for that. JMO
Old 04-04-2008, 02:40 PM

Over 80% of the population has a bulging disk... Most anybody that has an MRI will show up with a buldging disk... I'd recommend getting a good physical therapist to help you out, your not going to 'pop' yourself out of pain with a chiro, maybe temporary relief, but not long term... JMHO
Old 04-04-2008, 02:41 PM
alwaysonDTR

a chiro might adjust yiu but they will say keep the weight off and ice it down any try to stay laying down, or at least thats what they told my dad when he had sowollen disk.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:47 PM

I had a back injury last year that took me off of work for a week. The injury was from lifting a 100 lb tractor weight of all things.
I am sure a disc was bulging since I had pain shooting through my body that basically left me in a state of non-movement.

I would suggest that if this is a recent injury to let it heal or wait for it to subside somewhat.
Next, I would start some moderate exercise and eventually work on making your back stronger through strength training. Your back injury will always be with you, somewhat, kind of like a bad habit. With improved lifting techniques, and a body that is in shape/strong, your injury will be a non-issue.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:55 PM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Been there, done that. Got bolts and a plate holding several vertabra together. Everyone I've know that gets put on PT stays on PT till the insurance stops payin g ot till they get tired of doing silly excersizes that don't do anything. I had one Dr. tell me to try a Chiro, but luckily I chose not to because the surgeon that fix my issues told me a day at at Chiro would have paralized me from the neck down.

Get the MRI. You can't tell anything other than a broken bone from an xray. Most of the time, steroids and heavy anti-inflamitory meds will clear things up. Beware of heavy pain meds and shots. They can make you feel well enough to hurts yourself worse. Take the time to stop doing as much as possible. This is a thing that with time, meds, and relaxation, can fix itself, heavy on the relaxations.

As said, most everyone will have a buldging disk or two. It's just a matter of if it causes nerve pressure. Surgery is a lst resort, but if done right can be very successful. if you end up with surgery talk alot with your doc. There will always be issues after surgery you need to be aware of. Fusions build hammers that can weaken disks below them.

Don't be nervous or scared or make sudden decisions. get the MRI and do some serious relaxing. I speak from several years of experience on this subject.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:56 PM

I, on the otherhand, Have had great luck with chriopractors! I also have had much relief from talking Chondriten and Gluclosimine (SP)
Old 04-04-2008, 04:10 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Same thing here.

Mine started with lifting an old school tiller from the ground the the bed of the CTD by my self. Felt something "Poot" so to speak in the base of my back. I then jumped in the truck and drove for an hour.

Oh Boy!

Long story short, I typically insult the booger once every two years. Within an hour, I'm reduced to crawling at best. Any movement of the lower back results in paralyzing spasms.

A trip to the ER and a shot of potent anti-inflammatory stuff brings immediate relief with-in thirty minutes.

Plan B is to not get the shot which results in a slow, painful recovery of a month or so.

Learn how to lift y'all.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:22 PM

Did I metion I worked in the moving industry for 8 years carrying pianos, pool table slates, hot tubs ect. I know how to lift! I just think its old age catchin up
Old 04-04-2008, 04:28 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 117 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by cincydiesel
I just think its old age catchin up
According to your profile, you're only 28.

You need to ease up cause it only gets worse.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:50 PM

Your asking medical advice from a bunch of truck enthusiasts!!! I'm sure we have a few doctors in the house but I doubt any of them would give medical advice with out seeing the patient and looking at test results.

My non-medical, not-a-doctor advise would be to have your wife/gf or who ever slowly drive your CTD up and over your back to smooth out any wrinkles.

J/K hoping to add a little humor to an otherwise painful and serious ailment.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I damaged my back and neck in oct of 69.
Lived with it.
In oct of 86 reinjured the back. ( blown out disc at L5-S1.)
Chiro help a lot, but it took 6-8 different ones to find him.
Then in 96 my neck started to cause serious headaches. Even narcotics didn't help. I had to get two shots that put in down for 20 hrs. Then it was better until the next one.
March 98 I had a cervical fusion. Then was able to get then to do the low back in 2000. This fusion was done from the front-endoscopic surgery.
Then march 06 another fusion in the neck--C6-C7.
The surgeon asked me how I deal with the pain they could reason of.

1- narcotic
2- muscle relaxants
3-massage+ acupunture
4- hot shower-as much as the skin could stand.
5- pain is your friend-one that you don't want to see very often. Deal with it.

They said they were shocked by my very small use of vicodin. They said most people use 2X what I used.
BTW, try Vicoprofin it works better for me.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by j-fox
I damaged my back and neck in oct of 69.
Lived with it.
In oct of 86 reinjured the back. ( blown out disc at L5-S1.)
Chiro help a lot, but it took 6-8 different ones to find him.
Then in 96 my neck started to cause serious headaches. Even narcotics didn't help. I had to get two shots that put in down for 20 hrs. Then it was better until the next one.
March 98 I had a cervical fusion. Then was able to get then to do the low back in 2000. This fusion was done from the front-endoscopic surgery.
Then march 06 another fusion in the neck--C6-C7.
The surgeon asked me how I deal with the pain they could reason of.

1- narcotic
2- muscle relaxants
3-massage+ acupunture
4- hot shower-as much as the skin could stand.
5- pain is your friend-one that you don't want to see very often. Deal with it.

They said they were shocked by my very small use of vicodin. They said most people use 2X what I used.
BTW, try Vicoprofin it works better for me.
Not much of a drug taker. Vicodin causes me to slober on myself. Just wanted some info from all you OLD GUYS about what ya thought of a Chiro
Old 04-04-2008, 06:32 PM

I had surgery at the L-4, L-5 S-1 levels. Now I have two mass titanium plates and a carbon fiber cage at those levels. For me a was the right decision to have surgery. I'm not in any pain per say but have some limitations. Just make sure you have a good surgeon. Good luck
Old 04-04-2008, 08:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wasn't a drug user either until the 86 injury.
tears on your face to put socks on, will change your opinion.
I , at first used 2500 mg of ibuprofen a day. Then after 2 yrs, doc ssaid you need to use these(vicodin), until you can't go any farther.
If you REALLY think you need surgery, go down on the floor and stay there.
I used the pills to stay up right and keep working.
2 months after the surgery I QUIT using pills.

Quick Reply: Back Pain need input