Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Aw Shucks.. The Roy Rogers Museum has closed its doors forever.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aw Shucks.. The Roy Rogers Museum has closed its doors forever.

Well truth be told,Trigger was looking a little moth eaten last time I was there in the 70's.

The Roy Rogers Museum has closed its doors forever.

Here is a partial listing of some of the items that were sold at auction...

Roy 's 1964 Bonneville sold for $254,500, it was estimated to sell between 100 and 150 thousand dollars.

His script book from the January 14,1953 episode of This Is Your Life sold for $10,000 (est. $800-$1,000)

A collection of signed baseballs (Pete Rose, Duke Snyder and other greats) sold for $3,750

A collection of signed bats (Yogi Berra, Enos Slaughter, Bob Feller, and others) sold for $2,750.

Trigger's saddle and bridle sold for $386,500 (est. 100-150 K)

One of many of Roy 's shirts sold for $16,250 and one of his many cowboy hats sold for $17,500.

One set of boot spurs sold for $10,625. (He never used a set of spurs on Trigger.)

A life size shooting gallery sold for $27,500.

Various chandeliers sold from $6,875 to $20,000. Very unique and artistic in their western style.

A signed photograph by Don Larsen taken during his perfect game in the world series against the Dodgers on Oct. 8, 1953, along with a signed baseball to Roy from Don, sold for $2,500

Two fabulous limited edition BB guns in their original boxes with numerous photos of Roy, Dale, Gabby, and Pat sold for $3,750.

A collection of memorabilia from his shows entertaining the troops in Vietnam sold for $938. I never knew he was there. His flight jacket sold for $7,500.

His set of dinner ware plates and silverware sold for $11,875. The Bible they used at the dinner table every night sold for $8,750.

One of several of his guitars sold for $27,500.

Nellybelle sold for $116,500.

A fabulous painting of Roy , Dale, Pat, Buttermilk, Trigger, and Bullet sold for $10,625.

One of several sets of movie posters sold for $18,750.

A black and white photograph of Gene Autry with a touching inscription from Gene to Roy sold for $17,500.

A Republic Productions Poster bearing many autographs of the people that played in Roy 's movies sold for $11,875.

Dale's horse, Buttermilk (whose history is very interesting) sold below the presale estimate for $25,000. (est. 30-40 K)

Bullet sold for $35,000 (est. 10-15 K). He was their real pet.

Dale's parade saddle, estimated to sell between 20-30 K, sold for $104,500.

One of many pairs of Roy's boots sold for $21,250.

Trigger sold for $266,500.

Do you remember the 1938 movie The Adventures of Robinhood with Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland? Well Olivia rode Trigger in that movie. Trigger was bred on a farm co-owned by Bing Crosby. Roy bought Trigger on a time payment plan for $2,500. Roy and Trigger made 188 movies together. Trigger even out did Bob Hope by winning an Oscar in the movie Son of Paleface in 1953.

It is extremely sad to see this era lost forever. Despite the fact that Gene and Roy 's movies, as well as those of other great characters, can be bought or rented for viewing, today's kids would rather spend their time playing video games. Today it takes a very special pair of parents to raise their kids with the right values and morals. These were the great heroes of our childhood, and they did teach us right from wrong, and how to
have and show respect for each other and the animals that share this earth.

You and I were born at the right time. We were able to grow up with these great people even if we never met them. In their own way they taught us patriotism and honor, we learned that lying and cheating were bad, and sex wasn't as important as love. We learned how to suffer through disappointment and failure and work through it. Our lives were drug free.

So it's good-bye to Roy and Dale, Gene and Hoppy, The Lone Ranger and Tonto. Farewell to Sky King and Superman and Sgt. Friday. Thanks to Capt.. Kangaroo, Mr. Rogers and Capt. Noah and all those people whose lives touched ours, and made them better.

It was a great ride through childhood.
Old 03-21-2011, 03:58 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sigh I liked Gene Autry better but Roy was part of my youth...
Old 03-21-2011, 04:41 PM

Location: This Nazi state of California 2nd home Gilbert AZ under God
Yes the ride was a good one, too bad the generations since will just remember video games.
Old 03-21-2011, 04:59 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Happy trails to you,
Until we meet again.

Wish I still had my Roy Rogers cap gun.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:03 PM

Those were some great times, movies and TV shows. I look for those "classic" movies on weekends. Keith
Old 03-21-2011, 09:20 PM

Trigger and Bullet were purchased by RFDtv . I believe you can go to www.triggerandbullet.com You can still join the Roy Rogers club ect.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Bark
Happy trails to you,
Until we meet again.

Wish I still had my Roy Rogers cap gun.
How dare you mention that forbidden anti "can't we just get along device"!Have you no sense of "for the children decency"?So we would go to the hardware store next door and buy rolls of caps and,since the cap pistol didn't use 'um fast enough,get dad's hammer and ....do the whole roll at once.
What are caps,ah the joys of a long ago youth.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't remember Gene or Roy. Heard of them, but I think they were before my time. Too bad the legacies they've left are all disappearing tho.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:40 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I was never a big fan of Roy's simply because his shows had too much singing and not enough shoot em up for me, having said that I was a fan of his style and showmanship.

This was a guy that put out good, clean, family entertainment and he was a true blue, red blooded American boy through and through and he exuded a HIGH Moral Standard.

Our society has slipped and degraded to the point that if there are not 300 "F" bombs in a song they don't even want to give it air time.

Sad to see the good stuff go away
Old 03-22-2011, 11:06 AM

They moved to Branson, Mo., and closed due to non business. Here's the webpage: http://www.royrogers.com/

I personally know the museum in Victorville California was having issues for years. (I lived there for 14 years) They tried to get the city to assist in support, but it failed.

After Dale passed, the museum usually had a couple of cars at most in the parking lot each time I drove by. They closed it before it went under.

I see on the webpage they are having the same issues in Mo. It's now the age of the computer, high action videos and over night generated stars that can be changed out each year. It's sad to say the stars of the past are buried in the old film cans, never to return again ... hi ho silver ...... away !