Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Automobile Industry / Master keys

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Automobile Industry / Master keys

A while back, my ride was stolen. After nothing was done for a long while, I started prodding the police to start doing something.

Turns out the truck was in Mexico even before I could get the call to the police.

This lead to me start doing some research.
Most trucks stolen near Mexico are stolen for two major reasons.
1) It's on someone's wish list.
2) It's used to run drugs rather their own vehicle in case the driver is stopped and their own vehicle is not seized.

More research led me to more things and I finally go to the point where I am reading about master keys being passed around like candy in Mexico.
I read that dealers pay thousands of dollars for these things. Since the pay is so low I can see a whole hoards of employees in Mexico making copies of these things to supplement their low income.

I even understand that these keys will even turn off the factory auto alarms.

The state of Texas even passed a law, that if you use a master key in the commission of a vehicle theft, additional felony.

So this got me thinking. Since the auto industry is out there passing out copies of keys that opens any door, I think that is irresponsible. It makes me not in full control of my vehicle and who accesses it (besides break in).

Though I have no definitive proof (no need in civil cases), I suspect a master key was used because my vehicle was parked next to my place (5 feet away?) and no broken glass.

Also watching locksmiths getting into vehicles, seems to take them a while.
If you were taking a vehicle that was couple of feet away from a home, wouldn't you want to get out of there fast as possible? I mean homeowner could have a gun also.

Anyway, the point of this I am thinking of holding the automotive industry responsible for this loss because of the master key issue.

Anyone heard about this in the legal system?

Trent

Edit: Seems I put it on wrong section and I cannot move or delete it.

Last edited by trentc; 02-09-2008 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Oops
Old 02-09-2008, 12:15 PM

I haven't 'heard about this in the legal system?' but ... your post started me thinking about how to prevent some chump from taking off with a guy's ride. If there was a product that would fire a relay under the hood (via a keyfob transmitter) that connected with the fuel shutoff they'd have to rip the hood off to defeat it. I seems like the after-market could put one together with what they've already got. My 2¢
Old 02-09-2008, 12:46 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
My company had a fleet of six '93 dodge caravans there were an additional three '98 chev astro vans.

I had one of the astro vans assigned to me. My chev astro van key would open five of the six dodge caravans and work in the ignition of one of them. Some of them took a bit more wiggling than others but it could be done.

It's not just the master key's you need to watch for. I think your lawsuit may just get stalled as you have no proof exactly what was used to steal your vehicle. There are lots of ways of getting in without breaking glass.
Around here a pair of scissors will make your truck disappear....
Old 02-09-2008, 12:52 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
It's well known that on these Dodges a small hole on the underside of the handle will allow the door to be unlocked...do a search on here for stolen trucks recovered most have a small hole punched under the handle.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:41 PM

With computer in every car/truck now days.. I don't see why they just make somekind of interface to password protect our vehicles, they can even use biometrics.. A master key can open the door, but it won't start without the password..

off course passwords and computers can also be broken into it just takes more time.

Just a thought..
Old 02-09-2008, 02:12 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Xonid
With computer in every car/truck now days.. I don't see why they just make somekind of interface to password protect our vehicles, they can even use biometrics.. A master key can open the door, but it won't start without the password..

off course passwords and computers can also be broken into it just takes more time.

Just a thought..

Every vehicle out there would have a password of 1234 or 1111.

You would not believe the number of voicemail boxes on office telephone systems I have "broken into" with those super simple passwords.
I hear someone scratching their head wondering what the fuss is about a complex password on their office voicemail....

Simple, I break into your mailbox using your super simple password. usually there is an out bound transfer feature enabled (wether the mailbox holder knows it or not) I configure the out bound transfer feature to call some foreign country (phillipines, Ethiopia etc.) I call back into the company (local call or 1800), select your mailbox, press the out bound transfer code, and the long distance call is processed on the company's dime to the off shore country.
Some companies have been hit for tens of thousands of dollars in long distance charges in a weekend. Enough to buy a brand new full load Dodge diesel....
Old 02-09-2008, 02:32 PM
RAF

The keys you are talking about are called tryout keys. I'm not going to get into to much detail. The keys are cut in a way that reduces the amount of keys you carry. It dosen't help that Chysler uses the same keyway (profile) in most of there autos. As far as gettting into a Dodge truck. It is far to easy to open the door when locked on most trucks. The idea of a fuel shut off would be a good one but don't put it inside the cab. They will find it. Electronic stuff is ok but any thing electronic can and will be beat.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I good old fashioned master battery disconnect on the outside of the vehile (wheel well?) might work.

Sorta like what you have to have in a drag racing car if you have moved the battery to the trunk. They're rated typically 200A or higher, and not too expensive.

JH
Old 02-11-2008, 12:57 PM

Immbolizer technology like is used on VW's the key fob, the cluster, and the ECU all have to see each and match for the car to start and run, I have not heard of any of these stolen with out the key being used.