Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

AutoCAD 2005/2006 users, Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 02:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation AutoCAD 2005/2006 users, Please Help!

I am having trouble importing .dwt plot files into the publish utility. Can anyone help me?

The AutoCAD discussion groups are not answering me. I figure some diesel nut out there knows his AutoCAD.

Please Help!

Thanks,

JWB
Old 06-14-2005, 03:23 PM

I use autocad 2004 daily. But I have never really had to import or export plot files, due to just plotting them straight to a plotter. What version are you trying to import from? You can work with stuff from older versions of CAD, but not newer ones. EXA> you can plot a 2005 file with the 2006 program, but not a 2006 file with a 2005 program.

What type of industry are you involved in? I can see where the plot files would be useful.

Last time I used them was when I worked for a mechanical engineer, and he was to cheap to by a plotter that was compatible with his computer, so I had to make a plot file, and transfer it to another computer that just barely would run AutoCAD, and use it to print the file.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:27 PM

Talking

I could not help but notice in your gallery how much pets really do look like their owners after time.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:28 PM
Banned

Plot Files

In AutoCAD 2004 is was called 'batch plot utility'. It was used to select several files and send them to a plotter using one click on 'print'. The new utility in 2005 and 2006 versions is called 'publish' and it is a function of the AutoCAD software, not a seperate utiliity like the piece of total crap 'batch plot' was.

If you have never used 2005 or 2006, you should try it. I just upgraded to 2006 today thinking it would solve my 05 publish problems, it didn't.

I help design and draft naval radar distribution equipment during the day, then raise cattle, play music, fish, and shoot things in the evenings. Makes for a 'high-tech redneck' sort of thing.

JWB
Old 06-14-2005, 03:30 PM
Banned

Originally posted by HappyGA
I could not help but notice in your gallery how much pets really do look like their owners after time.
Har Har......I may look like her, but I'll never have her temper, the little poop.

JWB
Old 06-14-2005, 03:35 PM

I am at the mercy of my company on which program I use. Talking about redneck, I design and engineer mobile homes. What you do sounds like more fun, but so far this is paying the bills. I for tell another mobile home bust within 2 years, unless more hurricanes hit the U.S. hard this year. Which I do not wish on anyone, but that is what has kept this business booming since last hurricane season.

I see where being able to pick a lot of files and print speeds things up tremendously, but I have to use a lot of layers on the houses I do. So it is not as easy as a 1 layout dwg. that you might be able to do every once in a while. but i did use it on some homes i designed for the public. Kind of put together a portfolio for new prospects so to speak.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:40 PM
Banned

Layers

Just a thought for your software selection.

You can save a template for page size, layers to print, all that. When you print using publish, you select the files, select the template, and hit print. You can send one sheet or 200 sheets to the plotter while you drink coffee. No more opening each file up and clicking print and closing and opening....so on and so on.

It only works half the time for me so far, but it would be an option that would save you lots of time.

Get a AutoCAD rep to come give you a demo.

JWB
Old 06-14-2005, 05:55 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

since we went to Pro/E, the only time I use AutoCAD is to open stuff to convert it to Pro/E.

sry cant help
Old 06-14-2005, 09:29 PM

Same as Fronty, except Inventor and SolidWorks. Print problems are non existant.
Export to dxf for customers that want it. ( few)

Had the same problems years ago with ACAD.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:58 AM

i'd like to help, but i haven't been able to teach myself to use autocad yet... too complicated for my simple planning... i guess i shouldn't have learned on deltacad... any idoit can draw something on deltacad...

i've got autocad 05 on my computer and i have opened that program like 3 times...
Old 06-15-2005, 07:16 AM
Banned

Originally posted by nickleinonen
i'd like to help, but i haven't been able to teach myself to use autocad yet... too complicated for my simple planning... i guess i shouldn't have learned on deltacad... any idoit can draw something on deltacad...

i've got autocad 05 on my computer and i have opened that program like 3 times...
Don't fret, my friend. Open it and click on icons. It ain't that hard. We also use Solidworks for solid modeling. It ain't hard either. Just click and go. Holler if you need help. We have five drafters, I'm sure one of us will know.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:11 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

I learned autoCAD on version 10. That was a challenge, very few fancy icon to click on to get a line, arc, circle.
Our draftman learned on 13, I can do most simple stuff faster and never touch my mouse.
Old 06-15-2005, 11:55 PM

Re: AutoCAD 2005/2006 users, Please Help!

Originally posted by 4x4dually
I am having trouble importing .dwt plot files into the publish utility. Can anyone help me?

The AutoCAD discussion groups are not answering me. I figure some diesel nut out there knows his AutoCAD.

Please Help!

Thanks,

JWB
Haven’t run Acad in a number of years but still have V14. The .dwt is a drawing template file and can be opened in ACAD by using the down arrow at the open file command and choose .dwt. Then if you desire it can be saved as a .dwg. With this you should be able to use your utility.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:03 AM

I've been using Autocad sinse 1989 or so. The publish option is the closest thing to a custom batch plotting software that I've seen. Works great when you have multiple layouts and all set to plot the same way.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:42 AM

I am 23 and have been drafting since I was 14. Started my freshmen year, and have never turned back. Learned AutoCAD on R14. Never really used the icons. I always typed in my commands. Mouse is used to select grips mostly and or trim and extend. I do not like to use icons, I like to customize my toolbars, and have more screen area than have 15 toolbars on screen.

Best way to learn A-CAD is to just grab you something and sit down and play with the program and draw the object. That way you learn the different functions. After you get the basic jist of things, take the tech school courses and hone in your skills.

I have been drafting for nine years, but ever since I bought my cummins, I feel my job is in jeapordy cause I can't stay off DTR while I am at work.

Quick Reply: AutoCAD 2005/2006 users, Please Help!