Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

ATV's

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I'm a sport quad guy I know people that have a grizz & really like it, the independant rear suspension is nice.
If your still looking at the 400cc 4x4's Suzuki makes a real nice one.
Old 03-16-2004, 04:11 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have looked at the Arctic Cat, Yamaha and today the Polaris. The Polaris is one awsome machine! Now I have to decide 500, 600 or 700.
Hmmmmmmm, I wonder how much money the Credit Union has?
Old 03-16-2004, 04:52 PM
apc

I have a 1997 Polaris 500 Sportsman and It has been a very good machine. Can only imagine what the 700 would be like , And there was a diesel available at one time. The Sportsman has been unstoppable and needed zero repair items only routine maint. Im sure all the othe quads are just as impressive but Polaris is an American Company. I had a 1999 Polaris Victory motorcycle also and it was just as nice as th quads. However interests changed and traded bike for 1st Dodge diesel , now on second Dodge diesel. Allmost bought a 2004 ho dually last weekend Dealer just wouldnt Pony up enough trade Dollars.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:14 PM

I agree with apc Polaris is an AMERICAN company. If you are looking at that big of a machine I love my Polaris Sportsman 700 and havent seen anything yet that I would trade it for.
Old 03-16-2004, 05:46 PM

I have a Honda Rubicon. It's been a good machine. No problems and 1100 miles on it.
Its actually for sale because I want a Rincon. I'll never own anything but a Honda, just personal preference.
Old 03-16-2004, 06:01 PM
Chapter President

I just got rid of a Honda Four Trax (300). It was a really good machine and took me thru some pretty rough stuff in Colorado. Let me try that again, some REALLY rough stuff! I haven't priced Honda lately, but the last time I did, they were a little more expensive.

You can check my web site for some of the tamer pics. It was kinda hard to take pics while it was bucking on two and three wheels on the muddy ruts and slopes.

CR
Old 03-16-2004, 06:45 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The automatics do cook themselves when pulling attachments day in and day out. as a utility i would seriously look to a quad with a manual tranny. just my .02 i have 3 friends who for thier spraying businesses they have cooked the automatic assembly relatively soon after the purchase, also on one of them the IFS rear developed a problem from towing the heavy trailer.

Another factor that was mentioned is mileage it is a huge difference between my quad and thiers when we would go out trail riding mine was ussually the least thirsty.

mine is a bone simple 2000 Big Bear with 5 spd and 2000# warn winch. used to be hooked on to an extremely heavy hay trailer 8-10 bales, day in and out but since the ball was attached to the axle housing the suspension never failed. Tires looked a little funny
Old 03-16-2004, 06:49 PM
Chapter President

Thanks ddestruel,

The automatic was one of my concerns. I'll be pulling a 60" mower and using a frontend loader and scrapper box with it.

CR
Old 03-16-2004, 06:51 PM

Talking Here's mine

2002 Grizz and 2004 Prairie 700.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:18 PM

PADZZ
Does your Grizz have the independent rear suspension, if so, which one of those machines do you like best suspension wise.
Been looking at those machines, never ridden one yet, would be used for moderate trail riding, no real serious stuff, no deep mudholes, just good ol fun trails.

Thanks
Old 03-16-2004, 07:23 PM

I saw this and my face lit up Polaris is a great machine. I'll add my reasons in a bit, my parents just got back from Florida, basking in the sun. Gotta go say hi...
Old 03-16-2004, 08:01 PM

eswartz-Yes, the Grizz has IRS. If I had to spend all day on one of these machines, it'd be the Grizzly because it has a softer seat and the IRS has a Caddy like ride. But the Prairie is SO fun and fast. They're both great. I guess if the Grizz had the 700 V-Twin, that would be the ultimate Ute quad, IMO.
One more thing...my major gripe about Polaris is the weight. I've been with them stuck and you just can't get them out they're so dang heavy.
I used to be a Honda only guy, but I don't like the LS front 3wd diff and drum brakes.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:38 PM

Allright, here is my opinion on the Polaris machines. In a nutshell, you can beat the living crap out of them, and they keep coming back for more. If you are going to haul stuff, the polaris is the only way to go. We have hooked up the boat
(17 footer) to this, she squatted all the way, but was just fine, no long term affects. These are designed so well, they are just brutes, but they absolutely ride better than a caddy As far as weight goes, I don't think any utility four wheeler should be without a winch. Get the 2500 lb or the 3000 lb. Warn winch. They are also very tough. The weight factor is canceled out with the winch. Even without it, they just eat through the mud, and keep pulling strong. I also think that these are the smoothest jumping utitily quads, too. I have jumped an Arctic Cat, and I wont do it again. The Sportsman will just eat up the landing and you keep going. We have around 5500 miles on our 00 SP 500, and it still pulls strong. The following is what has gone wrong

Plastic is all cracked up around the fenders (plowing through trees at our cabin)

Broken CV joint (ripped the boot, got a little corroded and was going wide open through mud and found a stump)

4 or 5 CV boots (again, plowing through all of the 1-2.5" saplings at the cabin takes its toll)

1 broken belt

Broken winch cable (operator error)

Other than that, simple maintenence on these go a looooong way. My hockey coach recently bought a Honda from a dealer that sold all brands (Honda, Pol, A C, Yam) He said the Polaris will last the longest, but you have to do the maintenence. All the others are get on and go.

Well, that is my long post, buy I really get worked up about four wheelers
Old 03-16-2004, 09:46 PM

Crimedog-I'm glad you're having good luck with your Polaris machines. I had a 99 Sportsman that was relatively reliable, with the exception of a broken head bolt and leaking head gasket and a few other minor issues. It rode GREAT, but like all Polaris' I've ridden, was hard to steer and not that sporty. Also, don't like the 2wd EBS and the one lever brake.
I agree with the winch comment too. Too bad all 4X4s aren't equipped with one from the factory.
I'm thinking of selling my Grizzly and getting a Rhino so the dog, wife and kid and I can go in the same vehicle.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:59 PM
Chapter President

Anyone know anything about the 2003 Bombardier Quest 650 XT?

I found a new one on the internet for a pretty good price, but other then my previous statement, I know nothing about them.

CR

Quick Reply: ATV's