Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

ATV or utility?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATV or utility?

I am looking at getting a new toy and can't decided on something like the can-am Renegade or getting a polaris Ranger or Yamaha Rhino or something like that. I think I am leaning more towards the side x side. What are peoples opinions on the Rhino Vs. Ranger? Size, cost, performance, available accessories?

Has anyone bought one or the other and wished they had purchased something else? Do these side x sides seem just as versatile as a ATV?
Old 05-23-2007, 09:23 PM

Dont forget about the Polaris RZR thats coming out soon. Smaller and sportier than a ranger, but stilll a side x side.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by srt20
Dont forget about the Polaris RZR thats coming out soon. Smaller and sportier than a ranger, but stilll a side x side.

I've got my sights on this one as well. Perfect for me, wife and kids (with some modifications). This time next year, I'll have one.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:55 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Polaris are becomming famous for blowing belts. At least that was last year. But have a little more room here and there. The Rhino seems like it's just more fun. Yamaha announces the new models on, I think, July 1st or there abouts. Then you'll know if they added the 700 with fuel injection instead of the carbed 660.

I looked long and hard at them. But I decided that for my use, which is exploring old mining roads and trails out in the desert, that a Suzuki Samurai was better. It's not as fast in some terrain, but it can be as open as a Rhino with it's doors and top off, or completely closed with the heater in winter. It is street legal. It has a folding rear seat that can be removed for gear. And it's just about the same size as the Polaris, but heavier. Since it's street legal I tow it with a tow bar and run errands around town at 30+ MPG. And since it's only 62 inches wide it will go up very narrow trails. It is amazing how often I don't have to get out and move rocks or tree limbs that would stop a bigger vehicle. The cost is another factor. A good Samurai can be had for about $2,000. Then add wheels and tires, shocks and maybe springs, and lower the transfer case gearing (You'll probably be adding tires and wheels to the Rhino too). By the way, I'm 6'2" and there's enough room for me, my wife, a cooler, and often, another friend. I always take emergency tools and gear. In stock form and now twenty years old, they can be a little rough but all parts are easy to get and the modifications make them VERY capable. VW diesel engines practically drop right in.

Wetspirit
Old 05-23-2007, 11:31 PM

They had one of the RZR's at the shop today. I just thought that it might not be as beneficial because it does not have the same size cargo area of the XP.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like the looks of the Kawasaki 3010, it's available with a diesel, 4X4.
One model has front and rear seat= 4 people.
But the diesels aren't cheap, almost 11K$.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm currently thinking about one of these. This aint your daddy's go cart. Kind of a cross between an ATV and a Utility.

ATV or utility?-hh250ssn.jpg

Some Specs
Old 05-24-2007, 08:30 AM

I have a bad back and an ATV, which don't go together. I am trading my ATV in on an Arctic Cat Prowler (side x side). Not a work-horse type machine like the others, more of a sport/play. You might give them a good looking over.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:38 AM

I have quads and a sandrail, and a suz samurai. Tha samurai is fantastic. It goes anywhere. Ive compared it to 1000 rhinos/rangers etc....and its no comparison. The "side x sides" get about 1/3 to 1/2 way up hills I drive over. The samurai does do it fast, but it does do it. If you cut weight on a sammy you can get it very light, about the same as a ranger and have double the power. Wheel base is about 5 inches longer on the sammy. You get real tire and wheel choices , gears, 4 lo, 4 hi and 2 wd, heater, some with ac, and a decent aftermarket if you want to do things. Mine has a cage and tires and an exhuast and nice seats for 4 with harnesses, I did all of it, the rest is bone stock. Oh and an air flter woohoo.

Mine was a freebie...take it away, it had a flat tire and a dent in the bumper. With the tires, seats and steel Im into it for about 2000. Its pulled out more stuff then I can count. One was a duramax with a 5th wheel, I wanted a picture.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:00 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Before looking at a side-by-side, I'd be sure to be familiar with the riding areas you plan to use.

Here side-by-sides are class 2 (like jeeps and trucks), and in the riding areas near me most of the trails are open to only class 1 (quads under 50" and under 800 lbs) or class 3 (dirt bikes)...

What is open to class 2 is usually open sand areas, and not very interesting gravel roads.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Polaris are ok, but they require a TON of maintenance and upkeep. If you were to get one for play, get the one with the KTM 525 engine.
I would stay away from the Prowler. The 660 Rhino seems to be the best side by side out there for fun.
The Can-Am Renegade looks like a great machine, but for a more useable machine, look at the 650 or 800 Bombardier Oulander XT. Those are definitely the best quads out there in my opinion, and I will be getting a 650 soon (I hope!)
Old 05-24-2007, 04:28 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I had the choice I would go side by side. I have done my fair share of riding and the places we went no side by side could follow BUT its nice to have a conversation while on the trail and you can stack multiple coolers on a side by side.

If you are into hard core racing or muddin then a quad to me is the only way to go but if it is gerneral regreation and sud sippin I would get the 2 seater.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:16 PM
Banned

Seriously get a Rhino!! Those things are awesome! I have a couple friends that have them and they absolutely love them. Plus they make all kinds of fun toys for them

~Nick
Old 05-24-2007, 06:03 PM

I've got a Rhino. Love it. Pretty darn good in the sand and excellent out of the sand. Even for messing around rock crawling. The after market add ons are endless from comfort to speed.

Rick
Old 05-24-2007, 06:08 PM

We have a rhino and a ranger. I dont like polaris for many reasons...some performance lacking but mainly because of the upkeep. I say go with Rhino or Arctic Cat Prowler.