Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

ATV Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATV Question

I have a Honda ATC250 es "Big Red". It's in great condition, but in reality it's just a $600 3 wheeler.

It needs an oil change.

I called the dealer and they said I needed to use a 20/50 GN4 oil.

What would happen if I used Castrol GTX 20w50??

Thanks!!
Old 05-02-2005, 06:24 PM

You shouldn't use any oils that say "energy conserving" As most fourwheelers whether manuals or autos, have to lube the clutch too. Energy conserving with friction modifiers will mess up the clutch's, make them slip. If you go to he store and use Castrol GTX 20w50, it won't say energy conserving on it, nor will most regular oils (0-30's, synthetics are where you get energy conserving). Energy conserving will be on the back, in the round circle with weight on it. You'll be fine, we've used regular oil in our 85 fourwheeler for, well since we bought it, you'll be fine.
In high tech race bikes they use different oil for clutches, gears ect. yes there's a slight difference, but one that's worth 1 dollar a quart oil, and 10 dollar a quart oil, no. I do run synthetics in my race bike but only cause it's just a race bike, use (in fact castrol) in my Wolverine.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:42 PM

Cool...that's what I was looking for. NO SYNTHETICS, but Castrol is OK!!

I can't see buying an oil that's (get this) $3 more per quart than what I already have in a box in my garage. And if I'm not gonna hurt the old horse, then that's what she's gonna get!!

THANKS!!
Old 05-02-2005, 08:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a '82 ATC200 "Big Red". Ran nothing but Shell Rotella 15w-40 in it.

MikeyB
Old 05-02-2005, 10:02 PM

Ha!! I have some leftover Delo400 15w40 from my last oil change!! Of course I would only use it in a pinch!!

Old 05-03-2005, 07:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by RamBob
Ha!! I have some leftover Delo400 15w40 from my last oil change!! Of course I would only use it in a pinch!!

I say go for it!
My Big Red is in semi retirement now since I acquired a Kawasaki Prairie 4x4 back in '99. But the Big Red still runs good!
BTW, my B-N-L also has a '85 Big Red. He uses Shell Rotella T 15w-40.

MikeyB
Old 05-03-2005, 11:55 AM

Go for it
I use it in my 01 banshee, blaster and kids Kawasaki dirt bikes. I have also used it in other 2-stroke bikes I have owned: Yamaha YSR 50 & 80's, Yamaha TZ 125 & 250's. Never had a problem. The latter two require frequent tear downs and I never found any signs of excessive wear or any problems with the clutches. As for the 2 quads, I'm still on the stock clutches with many hours of woods and dunes riding on their clocks.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:05 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I worked on a farm for several summers during my college years. We ran the snot out of several three wheelers, and the farmer had me put Rotella 15-40 in everything.

Those things got run wide open when running between fields to move water, and did stop, creap ahead, stop during 100+ weather when spraying weeds.

They never had a problem.

20-50 might be a bit heavy if you run in cold weather, but I think as long as you avoid anything that says "energy conserving" as posted above, and anything that has Molly, you should be fine.

I just bought a new Foreman 500, and ran Castrol 10-40 in it with no problems. Now that it is broken in, though, I will likely switch to a motorcycle specific synthetic (checking with owner's manual to make sure I get one that is OK for auto clutch)... I'm sure, though, that it would live a long life with Castrol or Rotella...

Have fun with the three wheeler, and be careful. As I recall, I got my farm job because the farmer's son had flipped the three wheeler and broke his shoulder. I think he said he was running down potato rows to service a wheel line mover, reaching behind him to hold the gas can or grease gun or something...
Old 05-03-2005, 12:37 PM

Thanks guys!!

Since I already have 1/2 a case of Castrol 20w50 sittin' in the garage (taking up space on my shelf!), I'm gonna use it up by changing the oil in Big Red and my 96 Camry (225009 miles and still running strong!) tonight when I get home.

I prefer the heavier weight in these hi-rev motors because I live in the desert and breakdown occurs much quicker here than in cooler climates.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:31 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Might be a good idea to check the valve gap while you are at it...
Old 05-03-2005, 10:55 PM

I've been told that before! Thanks for the reminder.
I picked up specs from 3wheelerworld.com - a site just like this one!

Just finished...Turned out to be 10w40 in the 1/2 used case!! Must've had it around for a while. Why I changed weight I do not recall!!

Just another victim stricken with CRS!!!
Old 05-04-2005, 12:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Typically all the light weight oils these days 5/30, 10/30 etc are rated energy conserving as as mentioned shouldent be used in your bikes. XRs only at one point reccomended valvoline 20/50 in all their race bikes. I run Rotella synthetic 5/40 in my Ducati, however it has a dry clutch, I have also run Castrol 20/50 with out problems. Not to start another oil war but all the research I have done claims diesel Oils CF CH ratings are made from base II stocks and are much better than se/sj/sf rated oils. Better detergent packages etc. The only issue is they all seem to be 15/40wt with the exception of synthetics. Very few "synthetics " are true pure synthetics, Motul, Rotella,Mobil 1, and some others Read everywhere ,dont use automotive oil in a diesel truck, auto oil, advertising and hype just as good as it only needs to be. Diesel oil, has to last and protect 10/15+ K miles in a motor that must last 1000000k miles + or someones gonna be out of buisness. IMO most of the "bike" oils are snake oil for excessive$$$. Ive been riding for 35 years and havent had a problem yet oil related. I will say every article I have read states EVERY oil tested, synthetics,diesel, bike etc in a bike with wet clutch and trans tearing it a new one lost all or most of its viscosity by 1500 miles if not sooner. The key is to change it often more than worry about what your using in a bike.
Fire away
Old 05-04-2005, 08:31 AM

Thanks Chief...

I was cruising through the Clymer Manual (after the fact) last night, and it states to use a 10w40 SE or SF rated oil. In the picture reference, it's a can (can you tell the date of the book?) of Penzoil. No reference to special "motorcycle oil", only a line that states what you guys have been telling me all along: "Don't use an oil with an anti-friction additive".

I'm with you when it comes to the marketing hype. There are way too many ways companies get us to buy their stuff by not being entirely "straight forward" with us. But then again...

"Necessity is the Mother of invention"

Thanks for your help!

Bob
Old 05-04-2005, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by RamBob
... 3wheelerworld.com - a site just like this one!...
thanks for the site!

my big red is not putting out a very good spark (sometimes never a spark) and i need a new coil for it as well as other parts. hopefully this site can lead me in the right direction.

my roommate had one and said whatever oil was laying around, that is what he used.

big red fan for life,

Pat
Old 05-04-2005, 03:16 PM

Glad I could help!!

The 3 wheeler site is a little more "broad" than our beloved DTR, in that there are many models with 3 wheels. I think they could really improve their following if they narrowed things down like what's done here between 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen trucks, etc.

But a great resource, nonetheless.

Also...I found a guy that is parting out an 85 250es on that site. I hooked up a buddy that needed a starter. If the ignition systems are the same (I don't think that there'd be much difference) I'm sure he'd have what you're looking for.

I'll dig up his email address and get it to you.

Bob

Quick Reply: ATV Question