Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Attention Pirates!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 12:20 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
[QUOTE=CamperAndy;2451437]The reason they are not armed is because other countries do not normally see a legal reason for civilians to have guns. So any guns on board would get confiscated when they pulled into port.

You're right and that was a serious consideration when I was cruising on my boat. I wanted a gun, but was afraid of a Mexican jail or paranoid about trying to hide it good enough to make it through drug searches. Guns definately have their place on ships and cruising yachts. Mexico, for one, is very worried about weapons. Boardings can happen at any time. I brushed up against the Mexican Navy with a boarding, and never felt threatened at all. Dealing with others on the high seas puts everyone into a brotherhood in a way. It also often means you are on your own in times of trouble. Some guns, like 12 gauge line throwing shotguns can be a huge safety item and a weapon.

For the shipping industry it seems crazy not to have more than fire hoses for defense. What a bunch of sitting ducks! As far as being outgunned, sure, they might be, but the bad guys might prefer squirt guns to 45 slugs or shot from the ships. And the crew would probably prefer to have something with some power.

Maybe it's time for some rules to change. Especially in light of the pirate's success
Old 04-14-2009, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stamey
The thing for me is the skill of those Seal Snipers. You have 2 boats rocking and bobbing at different rates, especially due to the massive difference in size, and 3 men with sufficient skill to take all of that rocking, windage, etc. into account and all simultaneously shoot to take out 3 targets. It's not like they were in a harbor.
To me, THAT inspires awe.
Perhaps that one reason it took so long. I would imagine that's a difficult shot at any distance, and previously they were too far away to be sure they could make those shots count and keep the captain safe. They said on the news that as the Bainbridge towed them to "calmer waters" is was also slowly shortening the tow line, bringing the boat closer to the snipers.

Chris
3 shots 3 kills in that situation ! Nuff said. Well Done Seal Team!!
Remember 1993 and "Blackhawk down"
Old 04-14-2009, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by D2 Cat
T...It was the insurance companies that didn't allow the guns. Now the ins. co. have to insure boats overtaken because they didn't allow guns!!
Now who gets to pay the higher insurance fees, because the insurance co's won't allow the ships to be armed?

You guessed it...the buying public will eventually have to pay!

Yes, we will have to play world cop...yet again!

Who you gonna call....when it absolutely, positively has to be blown up overnight?

Tony
Old 04-14-2009, 03:26 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stamey
The thing for me is the skill of those Seal Snipers. You have 2 boats rocking and bobbing at different rates, especially due to the massive difference in size, and 3 men with sufficient skill to take all of that rocking, windage, etc. into account and all simultaneously shoot to take out 3 targets.
Not to take anything away from the SEALs that took the shot, but I wouldn't think a destroyer does a lot of "rocking and bobbling" and it's also my understanding that the boats were only about 25-30 yards apart. It still took some skill, no doubt, but those guys could probably make that shot all day long.
Old 04-14-2009, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Hoss
Not to take anything away from the SEALs that took the shot, but I wouldn't think a destroyer does a lot of "rocking and bobbling" and it's also my understanding that the boats were only about 25-30 yards apart. It still took some skill, no doubt, but those guys could probably make that shot all day long.
This isn't a slam Hoss, but it is obvious that you have never been on a big vessel. I spend half my time on an anchored FPSO that is 1,000ft long and over 200 wide. You cannot imagine how much one will move. In the right sea conditions you can stand at a handrail and be moving up and down 20' and that is in the calm waters off the west coast of Africa. It is always moving some due to the ocean swell. So yeah it may have only been 25 meters away, but that was still some dang good shooting. A Destroyer isn't that big either. I'm sure some old squids will chime in here on vessel movement.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:18 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The cutter I was on was only a 311, but I've seen the front third out of the water then slam and send a shudder through the whole vessel. Rolls to 55 degrees.

Normal sea conditions are not like that but there is a lot of movement.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:32 PM

Not to take anything away from the SEALs that took the shot
Quit trying then. They dropped hammer on three now VERY dead bad guys.

HOOYAH FROGMEN!
Old 04-14-2009, 06:38 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

anyone notice that 4 more cargo ships were taken today by pirates???
Old 04-15-2009, 08:19 AM

It still took some skill, no doubt, but those guys could probably make that shot all day long.
Yes .... they could and do.

Cheers,
PISTOL
Old 04-15-2009, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Iron Mike
This isn't a slam Hoss, but it is obvious that you have never been on a big vessel. I spend half my time on an anchored FPSO that is 1,000ft long and over 200 wide. You cannot imagine how much one will move. In the right sea conditions you can stand at a handrail and be moving up and down 20' and that is in the calm waters off the west coast of Africa. It is always moving some due to the ocean swell. So yeah it may have only been 25 meters away, but that was still some dang good shooting. A Destroyer isn't that big either. I'm sure some old squids will chime in here on vessel movement.
You're right...unless you consider a bass boat to be a "big vessel." So, I won't argue with you...and I don't in any way disagree that it was a great demonstration of shooting skill.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by oldmikegraham
Quit trying then. They dropped hammer on three now VERY dead bad guys.

HOOYAH FROGMEN!
I wasn't. Can you not read? I have nothing but good things to say about the men and women in our military and the skills they possess.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:56 AM

Sure I can read Hoss. You set the tone with what you posted.

Punching holes in people, in a dynamic situation, is a butt load different than training, static or dynamic. They did a great job. Not only did they hit the target, they hit it well enough to stop a last breath trigger pull.

That is skill at any range!
Old 04-15-2009, 02:14 PM

I apologize if my tone didn't come over the internet the way I intended for it to. As I said, those guys could probably make that shot all day long. That isn't in any way a critical comment. That was a testament to their skill. That is why I specifically said, "NOT to take away anything from the SEALs that took the shot..." If I were in any way suggesting that it was an easy shot then I would have left that first part of the sentence off. That being said, I also think they are capable of making much more challenging shots than the ones they made. Again...a testament to their skill.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:16 PM

Just to reiterate my thoughts on this...

...those guys could probably make that shot all day long.
...and I don't in any way disagree that it was a great demonstration of shooting skill.
I have nothing but good things to say about the men and women in our military and the skills they possess.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by md-rebel
3 shots 3 kills in that situation ! Nuff said. Well Done Seal Team!!
Remember 1993 and "Blackhawk down"
.........and "Lone Survivor"

John (DH)

Quick Reply: Attention Pirates!