Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

The ATA is in BIG trouble

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The ATA is in BIG trouble

Y'all might have read my poll and post on speed limiters . Thanks for the great response . It confirmed my opinion that nobody agrees with the ATA . Well , I gotta make a real effort to set ATA and NHTSA straight . I'm calling out the big guns . I've been in contact with Frank Fraser , editor of "Redneck World " and he thinks the speed limiter issue is great material for his magazine . Here comes a great big can of southern Edit . (I have to behave because my little green square says I'm a good person even after I had a post warning about " Talledega Nights " deleted . They should have called it "Brokeback Racetrack " oops . Gotta behave here . )
Old 12-18-2006, 05:44 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talledega Nights is quite possibly the greatest failure of wit that I have ever witnessed.

How hard is to make fun of NASCAR? It's NASCAR! How can you manage to make a 2 hour movie and not, in a single instance, make fun of anything relevant to NASCAR?!?

Oh, good job, Mr. SNL, you've made fun of the French and a gay guy. And Applebee's. You must be real proud of yourself.

And would it kill you to be SLIGHTLY technical? The film editor deserves to be SHOT. "Well, instead of actually showing any NASCAR action at all, we're just going to show Mr. IDIOT downshifting about 300 times on the Superspeedway." Because, you know, passing gears work at 230 MPH.

I could put together a better film with a $600 digital film camera, Windows Movie maker and 5 hours at the next NASCAR race. It should have been RELEVANT to NASCAR, made fun of NASCAR without the gay French Applebees narrative, and NOT alienated the entire NASCAR community by failing to even give a nod to actual NASCAR racing.

I will never pay to see another Will Ferril movie again. And I'm not sympathetic that I spelled his name wrong, either.

Imagine how good the movie would have been if it was a mockumentary like This Is Spinal Tap? That movie is begging to make itself. But next time you make a NASCAR movie, just be sure to include NASCAR, you idiotic toe sucking filthily vile drips of offal staining the tradition of SNL actors!!!
Old 12-18-2006, 05:50 PM

Well , I never saw the movie . Reading the reviews was enough . Like I said . I tried to post a warning but something in my thread didn't meet the standards and it got deleted . Your post is appreciated . Can you imagine somebody knowing nothing about this movie giving someone the DVD as a Christmas gift ? I can't believe NASCAR.com allows it to be sold on its site .
Old 12-18-2006, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Begle1
Talledega Nights is quite possibly the greatest failure of wit that I have ever witnessed.

How hard is to make fun of NASCAR? It's NASCAR! How can you manage to make a 2 hour movie and not, in a single instance, make fun of anything relevant to NASCAR?!?

Oh, good job, Mr. SNL, you've made fun of the French and a gay guy. And Applebee's. You must be real proud of yourself.

And would it kill you to be SLIGHTLY technical? The film editor deserves to be SHOT. "Well, instead of actually showing any NASCAR action at all, we're just going to show Mr. IDIOT downshifting about 300 times on the Superspeedway." Because, you know, passing gears work at 230 MPH.

I could put together a better film with a $600 digital film camera, Windows Movie maker and 5 hours at the next NASCAR race. It should have been RELEVANT to NASCAR, made fun of NASCAR without the gay French Applebees narrative, and NOT alienated the entire NASCAR community by failing to even give a nod to actual NASCAR racing.

I will never pay to see another Will Ferril movie again. And I'm not sympathetic that I spelled his name wrong, either.

Imagine how good the movie would have been if it was a mockumentary like This Is Spinal Tap? That movie is begging to make itself. But next time you make a NASCAR movie, just be sure to include NASCAR, you idiotic toe sucking filthily vile drips of offal staining the tradition of SNL actors!!!
it wasnt meant to be a serious nascar film....if you want a nascar film that is more realistic wathc days of thunder....if you want to get a couple of good laughs watch talladega nights. i hate when people try to take funny movies all serious....it was meant for laughs, not meant to be cited as a source for a nascar research paper
Old 12-18-2006, 06:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bigredBCS
it wasnt meant to be a serious nascar film....if you want a nascar film that is more realistic wathc days of thunder....if you want to get a couple of good laughs watch talladega nights. i hate when people try to take funny movies all serious....it was meant for laughs, not meant to be cited as a source for a nascar research paper
Dude, every single laugh in that movie was TOTALLY UNRELATED TO NASCAR!

What was funny in that movie? A gay French guy. And a cougar in a car. And a hairy guy running around in underwear pretending to be on fire. And stabbing himself in the leg. And so on and so forth. Every joke could have just as eaisily fit into a narrative about sky diving, rock climbing, trench warfare, boat sinking or curling. The NASCAR element, as far as I can tell, was added entirely to mislead millions of the NASCAR fanbase into seeing the "movie" and getting millions of dollars worth of product placement revenue.

It wasn't a funny movie about NASCAR. It wasn't a funny movie set to NASCAR. It wasn't a funny movie based on or inspired by NASCAR. Honestly, it wasn't even a funny movie. Actually, I wouldn't even call that pugent disk of crystallized swill cow urine a real movie at all.

I'd call it... Actually, I think "crystallized swill cow urine" puts just the right taste in the mouth.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by RickG
Y'all might have read my poll and post on speed limiters . Thanks for the great response . It confirmed my opinion that nobody agrees with the ATA . Well , I gotta make a real effort to set ATA and NHTSA straight . I'm calling out the big guns . I've been in contact with Frank Fraser , editor of "Redneck World " and he thinks the speed limiter issue is great material for his magazine . Here comes a great big can of southern Edit . (I have to behave because my little green square says I'm a good person even after I had a post warning about " Talledega Nights " deleted . They should have called it "Brokeback Racetrack " oops . Gotta behave here . )
Southern EDIT ? I can't help it , Larry . I don't care who you are , that's funny . . And thanks . That expresses it even better . But thanks for the PM . . I'll try to stay in line .
Old 12-18-2006, 06:16 PM

so you only saw it because you saw the nascar logo somewhere on a poster or a preview?
Old 12-18-2006, 06:22 PM
Banned

so you only saw it because you saw the nascar logo somewhere on a poster or a preview?
No, I went to see it because I figured it would be a funny NASCAR movie. Not a funny movie with NASCARs. But, rather, a movie that actually used the NASCARs to provide some of the funny.

If there wasn't a single NASCAR anywhere in Talledega Nights, the movie wouldn't loose anything. And that's because the only thing it had to begin with was the hot brunette that shows up half way through the movie.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:24 PM

well its hard to make a nascar movie funny without upsetting people....i like nascar but im not diehard nascar, so i got some laughs....but alot of nascar fans prolyl didnt get it or got mad because they were kind of poking fun at nascar and its fans....imo
Old 12-18-2006, 06:30 PM
Banned

The movie DIDN'T poke fun as NASCAR and its fans. That would have been an effective use of the NASCAR element. How they managed to NOT make fun of NASCAR totally baffles me.

What the movie did do was take a NASCAR element, which held limitless potential, and totally ignored it by pursing an annelid-brained plot with a gay Frenchmen, an Applebee's, a Cougar in a car and a guy running around in underwear pretending he was on fire. The NASCAR element was absolutely wasted.

Just imagine if the movie was a mockumentary like Spinal Tap. A movie that took it's subject matter, understood its subject matter, and made a plot realistically based on its subject matter and derived jokes directly from its subject matter. The NASCAR in Talledega Nights wasn't the movie's subject matter; it was the movie's marketing gimmick.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Begle1
The movie DIDN'T poke fun as NASCAR and its fans. That would have been an effective use of the NASCAR element. How they managed to NOT make fun of NASCAR totally baffles me.

What the movie did do was take a NASCAR element, which held limitless potential, and totally ignored it by pursing an annelid-brained plot with a gay Frenchmen, an Applebee's, a Cougar in a car and a guy running around in underwear pretending he was on fire. The NASCAR element was absolutely wasted.

Just imagine if the movie was a mockumentary like Spinal Tap. A movie that took it's subject matter, understood its subject matter, and made a plot realistically based on its subject matter and derived jokes directly from its subject matter. The NASCAR in Talledega Nights wasn't the movie's subject matter; it was the movies marketing gimmick.

this post sounds really familiar
Old 12-18-2006, 06:33 PM
Banned

this post sounds really familiar
Hey, deja vu...

And just let me say that Talladega Nights WAS A VERY BAD MOVIE.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:34 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Anybody that would get upset at a movie making fun of NASCAR is already upset over what the France family done to NASCAR...

I was a diehard fan until a few years back. Yea, they are more popular than ever, but they have lost alot of longtime fans.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:37 PM

i wouldnt be worried about how little nascarwas in the movie, id be more worried about how there isnt any nascar left in nascar. knowwhat i mean? the COT is not cool!
Old 12-18-2006, 06:40 PM
Banned

id be more worried about how there isnt any nascar left in nascar. knowwhat i mean? the COT is not cool!
I totally agree!

But that doesn't mean Talladega Nights is any less than unadulterated rancid gelatinous turkey gravy spread over rotting fish in a puddle of alginic sewer sludge!

Quick Reply: The ATA is in BIG trouble