Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Assembled in Mexico!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2002, 12:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Assembled in Mexico!!!

Here I thought I was a proud owner of a fine American made vehicle. The other day I was showing off my truck to my brother when he noticed printed on the door jamb sticker "Assembled in Mexico". What a shocker. >
Old 12-25-2002, 12:56 AM

Re:Assembled in Mexico!!!

Thats OK.<br><br>The assembled in Mexico are generally better with less to go wrong. Mine was also assembled in Mexico.<br><br>The US based assembly plants don't seem to do as agood of job and add all the accessories that they should. Enjoy it ;D ;D ;D
Old 12-25-2002, 01:47 AM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone at work told me the car most assembled in the US with US parts was a Cadilac and even then it was only like 58%. Pretty sad I think.
Old 12-25-2002, 07:23 AM

Hey, my wifes Honda Civic was built here in the good ol' USA. So my last two trucks come from Mexico. My Dakota came from Canada. Blame the manufacturers, not the truck.
Old 12-25-2002, 10:02 AM

mine has a sticker on the drivers side window saying &quot;proudly assembled in the usa at the ST. louis assembly plant&quot; <br><br><br>but of course I'm from canada ........<br><br><br>BTW toyota tacoma's are built in the toyota plant in california.......
Old 12-25-2002, 10:11 AM
Administrator

I had one of those Tacoma's the first year they came out. Never again. Took a $3000 loss just to get rid of it.
Old 12-25-2002, 10:23 AM

My '93 was assembeled in Mexico and has been trouble free since I bought new in Jan of '93. First Gens done in the good old USA had a problem with paint peeling. It does not seem to be as much of a problem with Mexican buit trucks.<br>Bob
Old 12-25-2002, 10:29 AM
Administrator

This kind of thread really walks a fine line with me. I have many friends who are Mexican, and many of the Mexicans I know work their butts off. I have also noticed that the Mexican built trucks are generally better in quality. I'm all for buying in the USA when possible, but an all US built vehicle is not available to anyone anymore. They all have foreign parts so we all better get used to it. I'll be watching this thread VERY closely.
Old 12-25-2002, 11:07 AM

Funny how nobody complains when it says made in canada, but put made in mexico and everybody thinks its made of crap. The reason they make them in mexico is because the labor availibility is there and its a cheap source. I work mexicans in my company they are very hard workers and i can get stuff done with 2 or 3 that i couldnt get done with 5or6 white guys. The laborers down there probably make about 125.00 a week putting those trucks together and their happy to make that. I'm not prejudice its just that i grew up withem and worked with them my whole life. Thats just my opinion.
Old 12-25-2002, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 99 was built in Mexico as well. So far, I’ve had 53,000+ trouble-free miles out of it and no complaints. It’s kind of like when I bought my 79 Harley thinking it was totally made in the USA until I found that the front forks were made in Japan along with the carb and a few other things. I never had any complaints though. <br> And for those of you who are unsure of what Jack meant by “watching this thread VERY closely” it is because this same topic was brought up before and it turned ugly with racial slurs and deliberately hurtful comments. So, in plain English,,,, This will NOT happen again!<br> This world is over-full of folks trying to hurt one another, but this site will not be the place to do it. I think this is fair for all.<br><br> Thanks folks.<br> Dennis<br>
Old 12-25-2002, 11:30 AM

I have no problem with stuff made in mexico, my 01 gasser was mexican made, great truck ......<br><br>the only problem I see with it is that you know it's built there because the auto makers are taking advantage of poor people by paying them next to nothing , just so they can build thier trucks a little cheaper .......<br><br>that I don't like ..........
Old 12-25-2002, 11:50 AM

If the first digit in your VIN is a 1 your truck was born in the USA if the first digit is a 3 it was born in Mexico. I am with Rich (cowboy) I have a lot of employees from a variety of ethnic backgrounds, if I had to generalize by race, the most attentive to detail and hardest working would be the Mexicans. My Ram is Mexican and that is fine with me.<br><br>Que Bueno!
Old 12-25-2002, 11:59 AM

Mine was built there also, the only problem I have is that Dodge didn't pass the savings to me. I guess it is one of those things, The rich get richer the poor get poorer.<br>10,000 miles so far, at least another 150,000 to go.<br>Chase
Old 12-25-2002, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Why should they pass the savings on to you? If they sell the trucks built in Mexico say for 5-10k less then the ones built in the USA, how long do you think the plants in the USA would stay open? If two trucks were sitting side by side, and one sells for 25k while the other sells for 35k, which one would you buy? Companies exist to make a profit, that is what this country is built on. Why do so many people these days have a problem with that? Without it, many of you wouldn't even have a job and you'd be trading wheat to stay alive. Doesn't sound like too much fun, does it?
Old 12-25-2002, 02:01 PM

Ditto to what Jack said. I think it is sad that so many citizens of the Unites States of America are so myopic in their understanding of geography that they realize that North America is a continent. America is not the name of a Country. The citizens of Canada, the U.S of A., Mexico, Brazil, Peru, etc all are correct in claiming to be Americans. It is true that quality control is better in the Mexican Assembly Plant compared to US of A located plants.

Most manufacturing companies are international, this being done to compete in international markets. D-C selld Jeep Liberty and PT Cruisers in Europe. There the purchaser has the opition of a Diesel engine for both. I wonder what the average European thinks about the quality of assembly of these products?

It may surprise some that the average US of A worker is stereotyped as Lazy and Overpaid.

My $0.02 worth. &gt; &gt;

Quick Reply: Assembled in Mexico!!!