Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Asphalt over concrete

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Asphalt over concrete

Why in the world do construction companies put asphalt over concrete?? I can't stand asphalt. They are doing an over-lay of that on a local road here in IL. First they cut out all of the holes and patched them with new concrete, a good 3x8 sections. The road was perfect and didn't need anything else, but no, they have to lay asphalt over it now. Cut the curbs and will lay it in the next day or so. What a waste of money and will wear out in 5yrs.

Rant off.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:48 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Asphalt doesn't 'wear out' really. It breaks up if it doesn't have a proper base under it. Concrete really isn't a proper base for it, but it seems a lot of places lay it over concrete anyhow. Asphalt will 'bend' to a certain degree, allowing for expansion and contraction with the weather and frost. It's also a lot more durable in regards to de-icing substances than concrete. It's also a LOT cheaper to make and install.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Banned

Actually, in new construction of highway work you will see concrete laid over an asphalt base. However, in a patch situation they are most likely trying to stabilize the base with a concrete material( may even be bridging over bad sub grade) and then laying the asphalt as it is more economical and much quicker to set up in order to put the highway back into operation after a "patch" job. Concrete is not only more expensive material wise, but takes more equipment and expertiseto lay.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:54 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
The concrete is laid to span poor subgrade material as stated.

Asphalt can be ground up and re laid as new by a recycler machine. Its a renewable material that is as good as the original and more economical than tearing it up, haulling off, and repairing the subgrade every five years.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:25 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

for the last few years, the county here has been dumping cold mix in the pot holes. They gave up on that earlier this year and are just dumping crusher dust.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:37 PM

As long as its "reused" I guess it could be cheaper, but if it was new I don't know with oil $83 a barrel. You would think they would have just patched it and been done with it. Seems ok for a few years then it starts to wear like an old 2-track. Then with all of the salt they pour it just eats it up as well as concrete. To each there own.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
for the last few years, the county here has been dumping cold mix in the pot holes. They gave up on that earlier this year and are just dumping crusher dust.
Because they did nothing to the subgrade, the cold mix just eventuality broke up anyway and lost it's binding attributes. Not as much oil involved in asphalt any more.........environuts you know!
Old 04-20-2010, 08:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG

Asphalt can be ground up and re laid as new by a recycler machine. Its a renewable material that is as good as the original and more economical than tearing it up, haulling off, and repairing the subgrade every five years.
The used asphalt is usually used as subgrade material.......not the finished product.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:08 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
In my county, they're just throwing a dead animal in the pothole.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:54 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Redleg
In my county, they're just throwing a dead animal in the pothole.
Takes some places longer then others to catch on. Thats been the way of the roads up here for centuries.
An Elk can fill at least two of our potholes up here.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:12 AM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
We should be throwing the potheads in the potholes!

We get the crushed concrete for subgrade around here. The asphalt is ground up and re heated with fresh oil and re used to pave is what my guy told me.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:13 PM

My guess - patched concrete has the potential for water to enter the seam. During the freeze thaw cycle seen in northern states, this will quickly create a new pot hole. Covering with asphalt creates a seal over the concrete and should keep the road from needing to be completely torn out and re-done.

I am by no means an expert, this is just my observation over the years.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:49 PM
Banned

Here they use asphalt because to repave they use a milling machine with trucks to quickly cut a few inches deep then repave over it. Alot can be done in short time. They also recycle some of the asphalt into the new mix.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
We should be throwing the potheads in the potholes!

We get the crushed concrete for subgrade around here. The asphalt is ground up and re heated with fresh oil and re used to pave is what my guy told me.
They won't use "fresh oil" around here. It is a water based imulsion to meet enviro. specs.........can't contaminate you know.