Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Arafats funeral

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 07:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arafats funeral

Was watching the funeral today. Not to sound insensitive to the passing of ones great leader(not mine of course), but I saw thousands weeping for his passing. He was looked upon as the great messia to them. How do you begin to negociate with that type of mind set and passion for there cause? I wonder how many were struck by falling rounds as many fired straight into the air above them. Thank God for our freedoms and ways. and thanks to all who have given to allow us to live in such as a way. We are truly a fortunate nation.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:32 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
For a not so recent parallel, all you need to do is look a little way back into the us history, when your country was controlled by england. It would seam you hold the fathers of confederation in high regard, at the time, to an englishman they were terrorists who were nothing more than dogs. (depends on what side of the fence you are on...)
Like you said, they have a passion for their cause and Arafat helped them further their cause (in their mind)
We truely are fortunate to be living in these two countries.....
Old 11-12-2004, 09:18 PM
Banned

I respect Palestine's fight for independence, and I respect Arafat's motivation to fight the war. However, his blatant support of utter human disregard and of terrosim is totally unforgivable. I feel no sympathy for his passing.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My opinion after watching the funeral is that they are a bunch of crazies. It worries me that we will get involved in helping these people get past their caveman mentality and move into the modern world. I doubt that it can be done.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:33 PM

Westcoaster, Remember in 1776 when George Washington had his soldiers strap on bombs then go kill a bunch of innocent English ladies and children. It didnt happen, to make that comparison is sick!! sick! SICK!
Old 11-12-2004, 09:38 PM
Banned

Yet George Washington and Yasser Arafat were fighting for pretty much the same thing. There is no doubt in my mind that Palestine is being oppressed, and probably more than we were back in 1776. They are entitled to fight for their freedom as much as we were. Only difference in the war motives is that there is a bunch of religious pretexts. Not to mention that their methods of fighting the war, through suicide bombings and terrorism, are totally inhuman and don't give their cause very much credibility.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:54 PM

Arafat sold his people down the river. A few years ago the jews made him an offer no caring leader could turn down. He liked the millions of $$ coming to him while his people lived poor and uneducated. (the way most dictators do) Maybe with his death there can be peace. (probably not) I still stand by my post. Comparing that mass murdering terrorist of the innocent to the fathers of my great country is SICK!!

Post getting political. Iwill say no more.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by kelley15
Westcoaster, Remember in 1776 when George Washington had his soldiers strap on bombs then go kill a bunch of innocent English ladies and children. It didnt happen, to make that comparison is sick!! sick! SICK!
I never said I agreed with the tactics that the palastinians are using, I agree, suiside bombings are sick. especially when I am sitting in my compfortable chair in my suburban neighbourhood, secure in the fact my safety and freedoms are guaranteed.
I understand however, how they have come to use this weapon. They have no tanks, they have no helicopters (gunships) they have crude home made rockets. They are fighting a war against an army equipped with modern weapons.
lets rewind history a little and say the english had their thumb a little tighter on their rogue colony. what tactics would a deasperate people stoop to in order to become free.
I would also draw your attention to Ireland, Arabs are not the only ones that stoop to blowing up innocent women and children.....
Old 11-12-2004, 11:10 PM

Originally posted by kelley15
Arafat sold his people down the river. A few years ago the jews made him an offer no caring leader could turn down. He liked the millions of $$ coming to him while his people lived poor and uneducated. (the way most dictators do) Maybe with his death there can be peace. (probably not) I still stand by my post. Comparing that mass murdering terrorist of the innocent to the fathers of my great country is SICK!!

Post getting political. Iwill say no more.
Arafat did sell his people down the river, and I agree, the chance for peace just got better with his passing.
In fact I am puzzled on how Arafat had even become a "statesman"
My only intent was to explain how the arabs view Arafat in western terms.
Would you still hold George Washington in such high regard if you were born to an english family around, what, the 1700's some time?
Old 11-13-2004, 04:32 PM

Received 366 Likes on 272 Posts
I read about the poignant moments that Jacque Chirac spent with Arafat's corpse...I'm betting he went through his pockets before they sealed the casket...Ben
Old 11-13-2004, 04:47 PM

Was that before or after he surrendered?

Old 11-14-2004, 03:21 PM

Over the past few months I have done a fair amount of reading about the beginnings of our country and by most accounts ... our history and Palestines are not the same. Yes they are oppressed as we once were ... but we made many, well versed attempts both in writing and personally to attempt to resolve our issues. And then we gave them our final ultimatim (sp) again, in good form ... which was our Declaration of Independence.

We just wanted left alone ... they couldn't handle that and we defended ourselves ON OUR LAND ... not theirs. We didn't send terrorists to England to commit attrocities, we defended what we worked hard to establish against their "terrorists". ...and established a form of government that maintains that objective 200 + years after the fact. Big difference, in my opinion.

I don't believe that Arafat and his partners attempted any of this. It is just easier to be slimy and ignorant. I hope Allah enjoys his company.

I sincerily hope Palestine gets someone who can turn things around. The people deserve better.

PISTOL
Old 11-14-2004, 08:21 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Just wanted to very briefly clarify something. Palestine is NOT a country and Arafat was no statesman. The so-called Palestine is not being suppressed unless you consider what their Arabs brothers are doing to them. The so-called country of Palestine is made up of people who willingly left Israel when it became an official country in 1948. These people are now refugees and most were originally from Jordan. The Arabs are using them to justify their "cause" to eliminate Israel. No Arab country is willing to accept their brothers and therefore force them to live like they are so that they can be exploited for political purposes. Arafat and others have used them for their own selfish causes for years.
Old 11-15-2004, 07:18 AM

Makes sense ... thanks.

PISTOL