Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Arab Emerates taking over the shipping ports

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by herb
" "AMEN" "

I find it so hard to understand why so many of King George's supporters can't (or refuse) to see the light.
I in no way mean to downgrade anyones beleifs and i respect everyones right to beleive and support the policys they deem right but even a blind person should be able to see the writing on the wall with this administration.
ALL past administrations have their own crosses to bear but none have come close to doing the damage this one has, and it still has another 3 years of damage to inflict on this country.
I will first state that I am a Libertarian, so you can either label me as sitting on the fence, or as I choose to see it, looking at all issues skeptically but with no bias in either direction. I started off thinking this decision was pure lunacy as most on this forum seem to believe, but I determined to keep an open mind and try to find the facts as opposed to talking out of my **** as many are doing.
What I am learning is that, be it the British who have serviced these ports for (I believe) 12 years, or the U. A. E., that is ALL they do. They do NOT OWN the ports, nor are they responsible for port SECURITY. No one had any problem with the Brits, but are enraged about the Arabs. THAT is Racial Discrimination....One of the Pet Issues with Liberals. I am all for a secure nation, and I think this administration seems to have a nack for totally blowing it with the press, but then the press hates them, so maybe it is a bit of payback, but some of W's points are starting to make sense to me:

With the outlaw strike by the Longshoreman's Union, who I see as something short of being a group of rocket scientists, starting a strike that was crippling this nation (how is that something other than an act of terrorism?) because they were only making slightly more than brain surgeons, along with the fact that forwhatever reason we don't have any group stateside that can compete for the job (sad!), and the fact that the U.A.E. has proven to be one of our staunchest allies SINCE 9-11, and is willing to submit to stiff scrutiny of every employee, I am starting to think maybe this plan is not as mad as I originally thought. As stated, all security still remains with the Coast Guard, Homeland Security, and the Harbor Patrol.
If you are thinking citizenship is the answer, 2 of the 3 bozos that wanted to aid the Taliban that they captured in Cinncinnatti yesterday were U.S. citizens.
Then there is the matter of insulting the good Arabs that are on our side.....If you don't think this is a MAJOR issue, witness what happens over a couple of cartoons!

Enuff ranting.......I am just for listening and making an informed judgement rather than spewing out a bunch of mindless babble.
Flame away.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by boiler-rat
Sept,11, The War in Iraq, Osama Bin Ladin, Sadaam. That makes me understand!
It is being stated that the UAE is giving us our best intelligence on the terrorists. Who of us peons knows if that is the truth or just more bs to dump on the masses, but one of the strongest statements that makes me think maybe the UAE is on our side is the reports of the islomofascists attacking THEM for their supporting us. The UAE also has some of their troops fighting alongside of our troops.
Look at it this way.........would we all feel better to learn that the British company was just bought up by the FRENCH???? AARRGGHH!!!
Old 02-23-2006, 04:49 PM

I just finished reading this thread...and, although that is 10 minutes I will never get back, I was pleased to see some level heads making an appearance in the end. Haulin hit the nail on the head; many of the views expressed on this subject have been nothing more than pure racial discrimination. Hillary Clinton and her ilk weren't grandstanding when another US ally (GB) took over other ports. And, again, all they are doing is servicing these ports. As a matter of fact, it is my understanding the union laborers are all keeping their jobs and security will be handled as it always has by the US Coast Guard.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Barry Smith
Herb, as much as it pains me to agree with you I have to say I agree with all of these but #7. #4 is one of the best ideas I've ever heard! #6 is another good idea! #7 is not a smart idea but your batting average is alot better than usual!
Ever heard of the Oil-for-Food program (#4)? National leaders and program implementers will figure out a way to make money on the program and when they have to figure out a backdoor way to make money that's where the corruption begins...

Also, it's pure lunacy to try to make that our blanket policy on oil trade. How about if we just get rid of currency altogether and start bartering on the world market? For that matter, why don't we just start working for food? (this is sarcasm, Herb, don't start running me for President)
Old 02-23-2006, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by gobucks
Ever heard of the Oil-for-Food program (#4)? National leaders and program implementers will figure out a way to make money on the program and when they have to figure out a backdoor way to make money that's where the corruption begins...

Also, it's pure lunacy to try to make that our blanket policy on oil trade. How about if we just get rid of currency altogether and start bartering on the world market? For that matter, why don't we just start working for food? (this is sarcasm, Herb, don't start running me for President)
why not? King George will need replacing some where in the future if they can't figure a way to get him another term.
The way they go about making the laws "bend", i guess thats not to far fetched
Old 02-23-2006, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by dezeldog
Pistol, which war are you talking about?? The one he started in Iraq or the civil war thats about to begin in Iraq because of the other war

Jim

I meant the one that THEY started on 9/11... the one that WE are working hard to finish !!!

Their internal squabbles are of no concern to me ... I have my own issues to deal with.

PISTOL
Old 02-23-2006, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by PistolWhipt
I meant the one that THEY started on 9/11... the one that WE are working hard to finish !!!

Their internal squabbles are of no concern to me ... I have my own issues to deal with.

PISTOL
who is "THEY" ???
Old 02-23-2006, 07:19 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by herb
who is "THEY" ???
All of the terrorists from Iraq, that Saddam financed, and attacked America.

What, do you think that two major events would just be linked together in order to persuade isolationists to fight an imperialistic war? Yeah, like that'd ever happen...
Old 02-23-2006, 08:03 PM
FAY

Originally Posted by j-fox
The U.S. has become a service type economy rather than a producer. We need more products than we make so thus the need to import.
We let our leaders create/allow this for 50 years!!
Now we can't even service our own ports.
Thus the need to outsource this service.

VERY SCARY!!!!
What is the answer?
Maybe the President should be replaced by Republican John McCain? The ultimate solution is to let some unselfish logical thinking Patriotic American Constitutionalist be the President of the United States of America, like someone who thinks along the same lines as the log splitter Honest Abe. The problem is that an honest president would be assassinated. Poor man Lincoln was willing to die for America.

Ultra rich Americans and citizens who are overly ambitious think only of the almighty dollar, while honest Americans think of what they can do for their Country rather than what their Country can do for them. Honesty does not breed corruption, it fosters Freedom through Civil Liberty and Justice.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:57 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by 99 cummins
I read this last post and got to thinking, what is the real reason were losing our standing in the world economy. It's gotta make you wonder.

Reading between the lines, I think you are VERY correct!

The unfortunate thing is, most people don't feel it is important.
Old 02-23-2006, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by gobucks
; many of the views expressed on this subject have been nothing more than pure racial discrimination. .
Gobucks, you are right, some of the views espressed here, including mine, do sound like racial discrimination. I try not to discriminate. When I go into a store, motel or any business that is run by people of mid-east origin, I am not rude or impolite to them. Its just that because of all the chaos going on in that part of the world, it is hard not to discriminate. If I am on a plane with some of them, I can't help but feel nervous and wonder about them. My job is taking me to Chile and then the U.K. this year. If was ANY Middle-east country, no way I would go.
I may be wrong, but I think most Americans probably feel the same way.
Kinda like people feel about snakes. Most won't hurt you, but most people don't like them and will swerve there vehicle to run over any of them just because they are snakes.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:22 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
"Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed."
Mark Twain

I posted this here deliberately. No, in this case it does not belong in the "Humor" or the "Quotes" threads. Apply it to whom you think best.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok Begel, this is getting a little scary! I agree with you again!

My only point in this thread is that no one here can name an American owned shipping port in the U.S.

Rick
Old 02-24-2006, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by Begle1
All of the terrorists from Iraq, that Saddam financed, and attacked America.

What, do you think that two major events would just be linked together in order to persuade isolationists to fight an imperialistic war? Yeah, like that'd ever happen...

hmmmmm last i had heard the bush administration had said there had been no terrorist links to Iraq, i think it was a little while after they admitted there had been do wmd's
Old 02-24-2006, 07:10 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Until this morning I did not know the deal included a Canadian port. Here is today's news story:

Dubai's bid to buy ports includes Vancouver hub

COLIN FREEZE

From Friday's Globe and Mail

On the Vancouver waterfront, it's a debate conspicuous only by its absence. U.S. politicians may be denouncing the sale of U.S. port facilities to a Middle Eastern firm, but Canadian officials are blasé about the B.C. end of the deal.

“Get a grip, fellas,” is Canadian Senator Colin Kenny's message to his U.S. counterparts. The senator, who has spent recent years complaining that Canada's port security is overly lax, insists he's not at all worried about the news now making big waves south of the border.

In a multibillion-dollar deal that is reconfiguring the container-shipping industry, British-based P&O Ports is selling off terminals in several major U.S. cities and one in Vancouver. Dubai Ports World, which is controlled by the United Arab Emirates government, is buying the assets.

U.S. legislators, who argue that the UAE has a spotty record on fighting terrorism, suggest the deal makes them jittery about the prospect of dirty bombs and terrorists landing in New York and New Jersey. Congressmen are asking a reluctant President George W. Bush to scuttle or review the deal, charging that his administration failed to consider all the security issues.

In Canada, there have been few reports that a Canadian asset is part of the deal. But what's at stake, specifically, is the Centerm hub in Burrard Inlet, which handles about a quarter of the shipping containers passing through Canada's third-largest city. Centerm is where P&O — and soon, Dubai Ports World — makes money by loading and unloading shipping containers.

Canadian authorities say it's unlikely any company that happens to be based in the Middle East, least of all the United Arab Emirates, would allow terrorists to threaten their operations. “The folks in Dubai certainly are good allies,” said Mr. Kenny, who visited Dubai a couple of times last year.

But since 2001, he's spent a lot more time visiting Canada's ports as part of a Senate investigation. While vulnerability to international terrorism remains a major concern for the senator, he says the real scourge of Canada's ports is to be found at home. “Our problem is Vancouver is rife with organized crime,” Mr. Kenny says.

Executives with the Vancouver Port Authority say Mr. Kenny overstates the criminal activity, but agree that the new acquisition is no different than any of the wheeling-dealing in the shipping industry.

“Dubai Ports World has a good reputation and we're looking forward to working with them,” said Duncan Wilson, a spokesman.

Quick Reply: Arab Emerates taking over the shipping ports