Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Arab Emerates taking over the shipping ports

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dezeldog

3) This is NOT part of the UAE government structure; it's a private company.

Truckjunkie you better take a deep breath. From what I've read and heard this company IS owned by the UAE. Why do you think the whole country is in such a uproar. I can't for the life of me figure out why we would want a foriegn government in charge of our ports and in turn our national security. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Jim
Jim - I STAND CORRECTED - you're correct - I had read that Dubai Ports World was a privately held company. I just found another article that says it's a state-owned company. This does make things different. You were right and I was wrong and I'm sorry. Sheesh - I thought I only had to say that to my WIFE.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:34 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by truckjunkie
Jim - I STAND CORRECTED - you're correct - I had read that Dubai Ports World was a privately held company. I just found another article that says it's a state-owned company. This does make things different. You were right and I was wrong and I'm sorry. Sheesh - I thought I only had to say that to my WIFE.
It's a "private" company, but the government owns stock in it, if I recall correctly. Whether that's as bad as the US Government's massive subsidies towards US companies or not, you can decide for yourself.

I don't support the idea of any company partially owned by a foreign government investing in America. But the way that everybody has instantly decried this simply because the company is Arab, and the way that everybody instantly jumped to the terrorism card, is crazy. Totally absurd.

I don't understand how this is the biggest news story around when it has been happening for centuries and is of no "immediate" importance. I'm glad that the situation has finally come to wider attention, however, although I do not know of any possible solutions to foreign investment, nor do I believe that it is inheirently negative.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:39 PM

Two words, tell us why this is a bad idea.

COMMON SENSE!
Old 02-22-2006, 05:39 PM

But I can agree that state or semi-state ownership can have a negative connotation, even if it is all above board... Now I'm going to have to go do some research and find out where else DPW is operating.

Well - here's their website - http://www.dpiterminals.com/ - looks like they operate a bunch of terminals in AP... and elsewhere.... Not currently in the U.S...

BTW - are there ANY U.S. companies currently operating ports in the U.S currently? Anyone know?
Old 02-22-2006, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Here's a thought, let an American company operate a port on American soil. What a concept.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dieseldude4x4
Here's a thought, let an American company operate a port on American soil. What a concept.

They don't want to, or they don't have the money to, or else they would. Nothing's preventing them from doing so. It's not as if they are bidding for this port...
Old 02-22-2006, 05:59 PM
Administrator

The one guy said above that nothing would change for current employees.
That's what the people at the water plant up the road here thought when the Japs bought them out. Less that a year later, the place was closed down. It was doing just fine as a little local spring water company. Now the plant is abandoned and sitting there rotting away and the people are who knows where.
And what is the benefit to foreign buyout again?
Sorry, I've hated this since the late 70's when Quasar closed down in California and moved across the border.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:01 PM

truckjunkie, not a problem

silverram, that is just tooo **** simple but it makes sense to me.

Jim
Old 02-22-2006, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by truckjunkie
Herb - in reply to:

#2 - THIS IS ALREADY IN PLACE. The ports are inspected/secured by the Port Authorities, the USCG, and CBP

#3 - if you really believe this, then you shouldn't be driving your Dodge right now, 'cuz it was probably made in Mexico.
i haver had four of the new style dodges 2 from dearborn 2 from st louis
Old 02-22-2006, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Begle1
, and the way that everybody instantly jumped to the terrorism card, is crazy. Totally absurd.

I don't understand how this is the biggest news story around when it has been happening for centuries and is of no "immediate" importance. .
Sept,11, The War in Iraq, Osama Bin Ladin, Sadaam. That makes me understand!
Old 02-23-2006, 08:45 AM

I've been a Bush supporter for quite a while ... but this one has me scratching my head .

While the ports may have been owned / run by the UK ... this doesn't bother me as much as it would if the UAE stepped in. I DON'T TRUST THEM ... AT ALL.

I would rather have the USA run the USA ports but apparently that isn't happening.

This port deal was a bad choice in my opinion ... but I still support my President in the war.

PISTOL
Old 02-23-2006, 09:03 AM

This port deal was a bad choice in my opinion ... but I still support my President in the war.

PISTOL
Pistol, which war are you talking about?? The one he started in Iraq or the civil war thats about to begin in Iraq because of the other war

Jim
Old 02-23-2006, 11:10 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dieseldude4x4

I don't know if this has been said before, but why can't the USCG do this job??

Outsourcing is one thing, but isn't this a slap in the face to the whole Coast Guard when they can't even handle the job of protecting our Ports??????
Old 02-23-2006, 01:08 PM

Possibly you all should look into who runs the LA ports. So much misinformation out there it is rediculous.

The UAE will not own the ports, just the business. Security will be the US Coast Guard as always. And those ports are Union hard and fast.

There are major problems here, but not what is being talked about.

So far, the Chinese Government running the LA ports seems to be doing ok.

If a major war comes up, wonder how long it will take to nationalize the port systems. One stroke of the pen. It's not much different than the US owning a steel mill in Russia.

Where was all this fuss when Carter gave up the Panama?
Old 02-23-2006, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
Possibly you all should look into who runs the LA ports. So much misinformation out there it is rediculous.

The UAE will not own the ports, just the business. Security will be the US Coast Guard as always. And those ports are Union hard and fast.

There are major problems here, but not what is being talked about.

So far, the Chinese Government running the LA ports seems to be doing ok.

If a major war comes up, wonder how long it will take to nationalize the port systems. One stroke of the pen. It's not much different than the US owning a steel mill in Russia.

Where was all this fuss when Carter gave up the Panama?
Thanks for posting this -

I also don't remember a fuss when the Clinton administration sold 60 F16s to the UAE a few years ago...

Also - like I posted previously - this same UAE company is currently managing ports that ship HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of containers INTO the U.S every year. If they wanted to do something dastardly don't you think it'd make more sense to do something from the delivery end? Or jeez - since other countries have goods being shipped into this country, maybe we should get U.S longshoremen to load every single container on every single ship in every single country that ships goods into the U.S. Oh - and have the USCG, CBP and the Port Authorities inspect every container at every point of origin and then inspect them again when they arrive.

As Haulin In Dixie stated (and I did too previously) THE SECURITY OF THESE U.S. PORTS IS STILL THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE USCG, THE PORT AUTHORITIES, AND CBP. JUST LIKE IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN. NO ONE IS OUTSOURCING THE SECURITY OF THESE PORTS TO ANYONE.

Do you know where the U.S Navy ships prefer to dock in the middle east more than anywhere else? Dubai - why? Because a) the Dubai ports are managed by this same company, b) they're the most modern, and c) they're the safest.

Think about this as well - don't you think Dubai Ports World understands the scrutiny they're going to be under with this undertaking? If anything I'd think they'd be more cautious because they know if anything untoward came through their 'managed' ports into the U.S we could, and would, blame not only the company, but since they have state sponsorship, the UAE as well?

I really love how, especially the libs, and regrettably some conservatives, are now engaging in the very thing they've been whining about since this whole thing started - it's called profiling. Well jeez - since there were some Muslims of Arabic decent arrested in the Toledo area the other day on terrorism charges maybe we ought to just round up ALL of the Muslims of Arabic decent in the Toledo area. No one would stand for that, but in effect this is what's going on with this ports deal.

Quick Reply: Arab Emerates taking over the shipping ports