Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

anyone took own braces off teeth? - Dentist is a quack.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 04:07 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoss
So the secretary is going to fix your teeth?
yeah, she is going to put in the "new style, concrete teeth, they are all the rage in Texas"

hee hee..
Old 01-29-2008, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 04ctd
yeah, she is going to put in the "new style, concrete teeth, they are all the rage in Texas"

hee hee..
Oh here we go, don't give him anymore "concrete" ideas. And ditto on the retainer advice above, I had braces twice in my younger days, and never could learn how to keep that retainer in. Now my teeth are crooked again and I kick myself in the butt for not listening to my Mom
Old 01-29-2008, 05:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Soak em in diesel, for a couple of hours or so.

It will dissolve the epoxy that holds them on.

Then again, with this new ULSD, it may take a little longer.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:49 PM
Chapter President

Dude, sounds like he might be better off that way.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:30 PM

Leave it to Hoss

04 ... I feel for ya. I hate dentists to begin with let alone having to put up with that crap. And we thought only Navy dentists were quacks .

PISTOL
Old 01-29-2008, 08:56 PM

I have not laughed this hard in years..thank you!!!
Old 01-29-2008, 09:08 PM

Ive had braces and retainers and jaw fixing for around 15 years. First off...DONT take them off. If they dont do it and soften the adhesive, it is possible to rip the coating off of the teeth (coming from the person who tried). You can crack teeth and other things as well.

As for the orthodontics, a certain amount of finesse is required. Sometimes they made my alignment worse so they could pull teeth in a certain direction (up so you can go out at the right angle, etc). If you dont like them, get a second opinion certainly. It is a shame you're not in Cincinnati. I can recommend an EXCELLENT one.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:43 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by fireguy9993
First off...DONT take them off. If they dont do it and soften the adhesive, it is possible to rip the coating off of the teeth (coming from the person who tried).

sorry for the delay on update, but here goes:

-the office manager said she has NEVER seen an orthodontist PURPOSELY attempt to put the brackets on even, straight & square so the treatment time is short.

-she said they put the brackets on, and put in the first set of wires, which are "spring" wires, and those pull the brackets into alignment, how ever crooked the brackets are.

she said the first orthodontist she worked for was horrible, some old geezer who just threw the brackets on, and let them go.

-after the first year in spring wires, they move to stainless steel wires, then, they just bend the stainless steel wires to move the teeth up or down in the last few months of treatment.

some of my brackets are actually on crooked, (not just uneven) so they are physically holding the teeth at a leaning angle (and would be a for a year if I let them). and she said they would just bend the wires to fix that. ???

-so basically, orthodontist's don't have much mechanical or common sense, if they want to hold the teeth crooked for a year, then fix them in the last 6 months by jimmy'ing bends in the stainless wire.

-she looked at my teeth and explained what they were trying to do, to level out the front lower row, and i told her they were PERFECT last week, and the Junior Doctor would NOT do anything.

and now, the stronger spring wire had moved them all jagged and leaning, because the brackets are on crooked. she finally agreed, if they were perfectly aligned last week, they SHOULD have done something then, like i asked three times.

so the Senior Doc comes in, she tells him, his bottom teeth were perfect last visit, and he asked for the brackets to be moved, or re-positioned, but they would not, and now the bottom row is all mangled.

Doc looks at the teeth, the chart, the teeth, the bottom row,

and goes DANG, you are doing good, you really could be out of these soon, if we got that bottom row back even.....

so now, he wants to leave the brackets alone, and GRIND THE TEETH even.

???

so i politely explained, they won't be no grinding in my pie hole.

i told him he could either leave it be or reposition the bracket

he insists he always GRINDS teeth rather than fix the brackets.

they put me in the chair, the fixed the bracket on the upper row that was about a 3/16 inch off from where it should be, (fireguy is right - OoooOOooWWWiiiEEE)

the Tech pulled the bracket off with kind of a twisting motion, and then had to grind the super glue (or whatever) off the surface of the teeth.

not fun.

so 24 hours later, the top looks perfect, the bottom looks like crap,

and i have an appointment next month.
they put the Senior Doctor on my chart as my ONLY Doc to see me.

and i am going to call before my appointment, and see if they will take them off.

braces hurt a LOT more than you think
Old 02-10-2008, 08:29 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by madhat
I'll take them off for you, remember that grinder that I took the jack mount off your trailer with a few weeks ago? Hold real still... Somebody hold my beer...
i politely explained, they won't be no grinding in my pie hole.
Guess that answeres my question...

..braces hurt a LOT more than you think
I had them, I feel bad for ya... I did figure that it would be a lot easier for old people like yourself, being all the bones in your body are getting softer...