Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

anyone took own braces off teeth? - Dentist is a quack.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 07:09 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
anyone took own braces off teeth? - Dentist is a quack.

my wife had to get braces, so the senior Dentist (who does all the initial exams & intelligent talking) said he would put a set on me too.

i had one tooth on bottom turned some, and he wanted to pretty up the top teeth by making them all level.

and he said he would do us a good discount, and probably, i would ride up there with the wife anyways, may as well do it.

so i did.

come to find out, the Senior Dentist don't do anything operational. he's just a talker.

the junior Dentist does all the work, so he puts the brackets on my teeth, it looks like he was liquored up. they are all uneven and crazy.

well, in about 2 months, my bottom teeth were perfect. and the tops were real close, except one.

now, a few month later, the bottom teeth are going all over the place, because they are following the haphazard location of the brackets.

the standard answer is "we do not do a reposition of the brackets until they have been on a year"

but that's a year of holding the teeth crooked in the wrong position, then MAGICO PRESTO they expect the teeth to be straightened out in the last 6 months of treatment by the correct position of the brackets.

so 3 times now, i have asked for a reposition.
and the junior dentist won't do it.
the 2nd time, i even asked for a meeting with the senior Dentist, and he did not care to show up.

I am thinking i will just take them off tonight (guessing you can just pop them off with some tweezers/needle nose pliers?)

and be done with it.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:24 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Ouch. Why not just go to a diffrent OTHODONTIST? Dentist don't usualy do braces. Look in the phone book for an othodontist. Tell him the story and let him realgin or remove them.

People tend to forget that your the customer. Your the one paying. If you don't like the service a tree trimmer does, you don't hire him back. Why would you go back to a dentist that you don't like the service from? It's your money and it's your teeth that you gotts live with. Go somewhere else.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by charliez
Ouch. Why not just go to a diffrent OTHODONTIST? Dentist don't usualy do braces. Look in the phone book for an othodontist. Tell him the story and let him realgin or remove them.

People tend to forget that your the customer. Your the one paying. If you don't like the service a tree trimmer does, you don't hire him back. Why would you go back to a dentist that you don't like the service from? It's your money and it's your teeth that you gotts live with. Go somewhere else.
No joke! Just think, high tension wires in your mouth. That could end up being a pic in the You Fail thread.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:48 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I'll take them off for you, remember that grinder that I took the jack mount off your trailer with a few weeks ago? Hold real still... Somebody hold my beer...
Old 01-29-2008, 08:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by charliez

Whats a othodontist?
Old 01-29-2008, 10:55 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
"Whats a othodontist?"

It's called a typo dummy

orthodontist
Old 01-29-2008, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by ronc
Whats a othodontist?
i dunno what it is either, but they are all in a tizzy.

(that's why i called them a dentist)

i called told them to have the senior guy call me, i want them took off this week. i think they try to hide their mistakes from him.

they are all hot & bothered now.

should be interesting when he calls back.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:33 PM

my buddy took his off while i was watching. he used a pair of needle nose pliars and just kinda twisted them to pop it off the tooth. FWIW, if you dont get a retainer, they'll go back again.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:35 PM

Having spent more time in a dentist's chair than most people will ever spend in a doctor's office (and having had braces as well) the first thing I would say is do not attempt your own dentistry. People like to joke about pulling teeth with pliers, and odds are that once in a great while, it's actually happened. This doesn't mean that you would be prepared with one slip (and high tension wires in your month) and a $300+ trip to the ER to look forward to.

Try to keep in mind - dentists, orthodontists, oral surgeons, endodontists, and periodontists are people too. They have lives, families, and pay taxes. Each has a specific purpose, and I've had the pleasure of being under the care of each of them many times in my life so far. They are only as good however, as the patient they are working on is willing to cooperate with them. I won't try to defend the dentist who did this in your mouth, and it truely does sound like something's up with this person. Instead, get your documentation together, get on google and look for other orthodontists in your area. Take time to read the reviews they have. Then professionally and respectfully call a couple of them and see if you could get a visit with them. Don't start chewing out your other orthodontist while on the phone with another receptionist. Then when you do visit the other office, calmly and simply expalin that you're dissatisfied with the work your other orthodontist has done in your mouth. Then let them take a look and give you an assesment. If something's really wrong, and they are a reputable orthodontist, they will be able to tell and will work to set it right.

Finally, work with your new orthodontist to see what can be done to collect from (or perhaps be refunded) from the other orthodontist who messed up. Perhaps working through another office, and stating that you won't take them to court if you recieve full reiumbursement could yield results. Keep up with your insurance company too - they will also got to bat for you in the case of malpractice. Document everything, and hard as it is - keep your cool.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:43 PM

My step-son removed his own braces at age 16. He was pretty unmanageable.
He's 49 now and has no upper front teeth.

Dan
Old 01-29-2008, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by 96_12V
and hard as it is - keep your cool.
i'm cool...not bent out of shape about it, but if i pay for a premuim price for something, i want it right, whether's it's a hot bowl of soup, teeth fixing, or a CTD.

the office manager just called, and i explained to her the senior DR and the junior DR had totally different ideas & concepts for my treatment, and she advised she will personally review my record, have me come in this week, look over the braces/brackets, and see where we can go

she sounds like she is the mover & shaker in the office, so should all come out good. there's nothing like a bossy woman to make all the men play nice.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:03 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So the secretary is going to fix your teeth?
Old 01-29-2008, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by 04ctd
she sounds like she is the mover & shaker in the office, so should all come out good. there's nothing like a bossy woman to make all the men play nice.

Amen to that one! Have to thank my Mother for her role in raising me - I'm sure I put more than a few gray hairs on her head.

hope it all works out for you - it will, and I agree about the premium price = premium service take as well.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:02 PM

I have a friend that took his off to skip out on his bill. He said he used pliers.

He drives an 06 DRW cummins too ... wonder if he's on this site.. I'll have to tell him to come here next time I see him! Maybe he can help you out.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hoss
So the secretary is going to fix your teeth?
Buhhahahahaha!!!!

Quick Reply: anyone took own braces off teeth? - Dentist is a quack.