Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Anyone play Guitar?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Anyone play Guitar?

I have always wanted to learn to play, but have never done it. Well, my wife recognized my want a long time ago. She totally suprised me at Christmas this year with a brand new Ibanez acoustic guitar.

Her grandad got me interested in playing when we first started dating. He's an old picker, and loves to spend afternoons out on the porch jammin while the grand kids sing along. I have learned a few chords, and can keep up with him sometimes. Its a blast.

I have only been at it since Christmas, and I love it. I cant read music, but im trying to teach myself. I got a couple learning books, and I sit down each evening from 30mins to an hour picking out short songs.

I finally got some calises (sp??) built up. lol

I just wanted to see if anyone else plays. I hope in a few years that I can get me an acoustic/electric, and be playing atleast one Stevie Ray Vaughn song......lol.......we'll see.

Phillip
Old 01-28-2004, 09:26 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I play the harmonica......sort of. Actually, my wife says it's not really playing....but it must be something because my black lab sings along with my "music" in long, deep howls of harmony. My wife says it's because it hurts her ears.....but that just can't be true.

I've always wanted to learn to play the guitar though. Maybe someday. I think it would be cool to play the fiddle too.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Anyone play Guitar?

Originally posted by Palmetto_kid
I hope in a few years that I can get me an acoustic/electric, and be playing atleast one Stevie Ray Vaughn song......lol.......we'll see.

Phillip
You keep playing an hour a day and you'll be plucking like SRV in no time! There's a SRV music book out that has a few songs from 4 or 5 of his albums. Check in music stores, I'm sure somebody can order it for you. All the lead stuff is written in tablature. In case you haven't seen this before, there are 6 lines (one for each string) and the fret # is written on the line. It's slow to read but meant for learning the riffs and then working on the speed/timing. SRV tuned his guitar a 1/2 note lower (E to E flat, etc) to make it easier to "bend" notes with the thick strings he liked, so if you want to jam along to a CD you have to do the same. An electronic tuner is helpful for this. You can play a fair bit of his stuff on a regular non cut-out acoustic, just gets a little hard around the 15th-17th and up fret.

I don't play as much as I should anymore. I sold my Taylor acoustic to a friend who'll appreciate it. I still have my Strat and Ovation. Real expensive ornaments. I did put a set of Elixir strings on the Ovation at Christmas. Check them out, they're coated and last much longer than regular strings.

Have fun! Keep rockin'!
Old 01-28-2004, 03:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Bona fide guitar addict, here.

I presently own a 1994 Ovation Collector's Series, a Hamer Special (with seymour duncan P-90s in it), and two Zions, which are the pride and joy of my collection (if you'll excuse the SRV pun)

One Zion is a thinline-Tele style w/ a rosewood board and Joe Barden pickups. The thing sounds so good it will make you cry, and it intonates PERFECTLY!

The other Zion is a strat-syle with bird's eye maple top, neck, and fretboard. It's a stunner too. It came with Lindy Fralin pickups in it, but I have exchanged those for the Chris Kinman pickups (the best sounding pickups money can buy IMHO)

Check out:
http://www.kinman.com/
http://www.zionguitars.com

For amps, I have a fender acoustasonic cheapie for the acoustic that works just fine. It's got a few effects, and it sounds pretty good for acoustic. It's even got an XLR input for a mic, if you want to sing and accompany yourself.

My electric amp is a Peavey classic 100, which is 100W of EL84 tubes. It's ok, but doesn't sound that good. I am hoping to upgrade to a Mesa Boogie blue angel or an AC30 Top boost.

I got to play through the same AC30 that Third Day used on their "Come Together" tour. Also played with Salvador, another Christian band with mean chops. They liked my Santana-ish leads on top.

Those zions through the AC30 sound so good you would have to hear it to believe it.

Oh, I also have some cool effects. I have a handmade wah pedal from Michael Fuller (www.fulltone.com) and also have his tremolo pedal. I have a Line 6 delay box, a reissue Tubescreamer, and a Tech 21 XXL (which I almost never use as the tone sucks).

Tube amps rule!

Justin
Old 01-28-2004, 04:02 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We're still talking about guitars, right??
Old 01-28-2004, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by HOHN
Bona fide guitar addict, here.

I got to play through the same AC30 that Third Day used on their "Come Together" tour. Also played with Salvador, another Christian band with mean chops. They liked my Santana-ish leads on top.

Justin
cool. I like Third Day. I'll have to look into Salvador though, never heard of them. I like praise/worship music that jams.

I wish I had started earlier in life. Im so ready to be able to jam. I just keep telling myself not get into to big of a hurry...lol.

Phillip
Old 01-28-2004, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by Hoss
We're still talking about guitars, right??

And here I thought it was just a box with strings on it.......
Old 01-28-2004, 04:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by HOHN
I presently own a 1994 Ovation Collector's Series...
Is that the one with the carved wood tuning pegs and the triangle shaped neck? I almost bought one but hummed and hawwed and missed the boat.

My Strat is a '94 40th anniversary American. I put a Seymor Duncan Hotrails p/u in the bridge. If you go to the Seymor Duncan website they've got a cool chart with wave files that you can hear all their pickups played clean and dirty.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:06 PM

I had a guitar in high school, but didn't really start playing till College. This was back in 94-95. Pat Green got me into it. He was still in Lubbock then and we'd go see him when he played in town. His songs were pretty simple, with easy chords and lyrics. That got me thinking I could do that. I've been playing and writing a little since then. Been in and out of at least 3 bands. Bombs and guitars are my two weaknesses. In ten years, I've collected an Ibanez artwood acoustic, Takamine acoustic/electric, Martin D28, my first-a sigma acoustic, Fender electric mandolin, American Tele, Tex-Mex Tele, Fender Hot Rod Deville amp, and a Fender Acoustasonic Junior Amp. One thing about guitar is you never stop learning. Having someone to pick with will help you learn faster than a book. If I was you, I'd try to pick with grampa. The old guys seem to know the most and enjoy teaching other pickers. Good luck and keep pickin.
Old 01-29-2004, 12:09 PM

Q. What do you call a guitar player without a girlfriend?

A. Homeless.
Old 01-30-2004, 05:29 AM

Re: Anyone play Guitar?

Originally posted by Palmetto_kid
I have always wanted to learn to play, but have never done it. Well, my wife recognized my want a long time ago. She totally suprised me at Christmas this year with a brand new Ibanez acoustic guitar.

Her grandad got me interested in playing when we first started dating. He's an old picker, and loves to spend afternoons out on the porch jammin while the grand kids sing along. I have learned a few chords, and can keep up with him sometimes. Its a blast.

I have only been at it since Christmas, and I love it. I cant read music, but im trying to teach myself. I got a couple learning books, and I sit down each evening from 30mins to an hour picking out short songs.

I finally got some calises (sp??) built up. lol

I just wanted to see if anyone else plays. I hope in a few years that I can get me an acoustic/electric, and be playing atleast one Stevie Ray Vaughn song......lol.......we'll see.

Phillip
I am an old timer too I guess,I would be looking for a classical guitar to play if you can find one that you can afford.The nylon strings are easier on your fingers and they have a great sound as well.The wide neck is good excersize for your fingers and wrist and will make playing an electric guitar seem easy.
I have several guitars and I play finger style....that is with a thumbpick and Chet Atkins was my hero.If you decide to try that style of playing a classical guitar will be a lovely place to start.
Good luck and don't give up!! Ron
Old 01-30-2004, 08:17 AM

I have a small assortment of guitars starting with a 1949 F-65 Fender Acoustic (nice) backed up by a 12 string fender F-310-12
acoustic, the there's the old stand by Les paul gibson solid black, I also have the same guitar with white pick gaurd but it is an imposter. When I get bored with those I have a Mansfield bass and when I get really bored a have a 5-string banjo. It's great a parties I have learned to play both the banjo nd guitar parts to dueling banjos at the same time.... guitar up aginast me and the banjo infront of it. Once you get good it's a life long passion................. I used top play rock but since my son and daughter are getting to be Cartoon watchers i find my self play the intro to Elmo's World????????? Oh well still practice I guess