Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Anyone know about Audi's and trouble codes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone know about Audi's and trouble codes?

A girl that works for me has a 2002 Audi A4 1.8T. She has codes P0011 "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1) and P0328 Knock Sensor 1.

Car definitely has a knock. got better when I blipped the throttle, settled down into idle. She said her oil light also came on before, but I didn't see that.

Question is, is one a product of the other? Would seem so, hoping maybe the Knock Sensor is bad, causing timing issues? But could be the other way around too I guess. Can't find much on the P0011 repair procedure. P0328 looks like replace the knock sensor.

Any help is greatly appreciated
Old 05-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I know enough about Audi's to never buy one, but that's about it Sorry I can't help.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:05 PM

That's what I tried to tell her Lary. But it was like . Oh well.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
I know enough about Audi's to never buy one, but that's about it Sorry I can't help.
HAH I was going to say, all I know about Audi's and trouble codes is that Audi is code for trouble and to stay the ____ away from them
Old 06-01-2010, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by ohyeahfriday
HAH I was going to say, all I know about Audi's and trouble codes is that Audi is code for trouble and to stay the ____ away from them

It gets better. She said the oil pressure light came on too. Told her that I read sludge is a problem with those and she'd better get it in to someone (not me) to look at. She said she'd bring it to me, 25 miles away . I told her it wouldn't make it. Guess who was right?
Old 06-04-2010, 02:41 PM

I'm thinking it lost oil pressure due to sludge and caused the cam advance to screw up thus throwing the cam code and the knock sensor code because of the knock.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:08 PM

Finally got her to get it to someone else (actual mechanic). He says the timing belt is bad and that caused all of it. It's an interference engine, so I'm not so sure I buy that completely, but better him to mess with it than me.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:10 PM

I have the same car, has it had the timing belt done, the cam sensor is right on front of the head, easy to change, and I believe the same over a wide range of VW/audi motors. Knock sensor are easy to change also, never seel on fail though, have seen cam and crank sensors fail before.

More info, was it the oil pressure light or the low oil level(similar symbol different color light(yellow=low level red=low pressure)) The low oil level light will come on if the car is about 1/2 qt low. Also if she did loose oil pressue she would have a horrible nosie at the back of the motor(some describe it to sound like a diesel) the chain between the cams at the back of the head uses oil pressue for the tensioner. If you have more questions shoot me a PM, or email, I have alot of experience with these cars, I buy not working VW and Audis and fix them, they are not bad cars, no one knows how to work on them, kind like taking your diesel to a garage that only does gas motors. I have good luck with all my cars (about 10 vw/audis)
Old 06-09-2010, 12:18 PM

No, timing belt hadn't been done far as she knew. I told her a few weeks ago it needed it, before all this started happening. I just don't buy the "timing belt needs replaced and we'll be good as new"
Old 06-09-2010, 12:28 PM

Doubht it, the timing belt is either good or bad usually, they do stretch over time and I have heard of them jumping teeth. How many miles on the car, what type of oil does she run.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:04 PM

car has about 87k on it. She said it was low oil pressure. I would believe it.

Oil level looked good. I checked it myself. The rest of what you said would make sense. I wouldn't consider the sound like a diesel, more like a rod knocking, but oil pressure on the chain tensioner would make sense with why it quieted down when I blipped the throttle.

At this point, it is out of my hands, I'm just providing ideas I guess. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
www.vwvortex.com would be a good place to start. There will probably be a link to an audi site. Keep in mind the VW engines are used in VW and Audi.

HTH

Tony