Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Anyone get that laser eye surgery?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone get that laser eye surgery?

Just curious. What are your experiences with it? I know it's gotten a lot better recently. I wouldn't exactly call it common yet, but seems to be gaining momentum.<br><br>I'm tired of these darn contacts!!!
Old 05-25-2003, 08:44 PM

Re:Anyone get that laser eye surgery?

A guy I work with just got it about two months ago. He is late 50ish, was near-sighted with astigmatism (same as my eyes), and had both eyes done simultaneously.

He still says he needs a very low mag reading glass right now but that it is getting better with time. His driving vision and watch the TV vision is great now.

He is pushing me to get it done since my eyes have about 20 less years use. I told him I use my glasses to hide ugly with - also explains the full beard I have worn since the summer I turned 16
Old 05-26-2003, 06:04 AM

Many friends of mine have done it, and love it. My brother had it done, a few years ago. He had Coke Bottle glasses before, and sees better than 20/20 now. My advise to you is to have it done, not by the best deal in town, but by one who has done a large number of them, for a while.
Old 05-26-2003, 07:17 AM

I had laser surgery three years ago. I love it.<br><br>Before the surgery, I had very poor sight and a bad astigmatism. Now, I can see very well without glasses, and I am even able to read without cheaters as long as the light level is good.<br><br>For night driving there is a slight blurring or fuzziness if you are in an area with a lot of lights around, like a downtown area of a city. On the other hand, before I couldn't even read street signs, so overall it is an improvement.<br>george
Old 05-26-2003, 07:17 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts

I wore hard contacts for many years then went for the laser surgery in 1999. The doctor suggested doing one eye only. Same for my wife. Reason was that we could read fine with no glasses but distance was a problem. So agreed and now have monovision. I now have just over 20/20 on the eye that was operated on but can't read close up with it. The brain adapts to monovision in less than 6 weeks. Depth perception for me is OK. My wife took a little longer to adjust. I could have had it done on both eyes but then would have needed glasses to read and I wanted not to have to use glasses at any time. The biggest problem with the laser surgery is that afterwards there tends to be a halo around bright lights so night driving is a little different. I have no problem driving at night but must look away from oncoming lights. So to answer your question, I say go for it. Just choose a place that has done a few thousand operations. The operation is almost painless.
Old 05-26-2003, 11:28 AM

Just what I was looking for! Thanks guys!<br><br>And finding a good doctor to do it is no problem... Ohio has one of the best optimologists (I think thats what you call a eye surgeon) in the country. He is a little pricey, but when it comes to your vision, it's CERTAINLY better safe than sorry.
Old 05-26-2003, 11:31 PM

I had it done 2 years ago and love it. The only side affect I have is my eyes get that dry feeling alot easier than before I had it done.
Old 05-27-2003, 10:36 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My eyes!!! My eyes!!! They've burned out my eyes!!!!! :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Old 05-27-2003, 11:58 AM
Administrator

[quote author=Hoss link=board=10;threadid=15130;start=0#142524 date=1054049795]<br>My eyes!!! My eyes!!! They've burned out my eyes!!!!! :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(<br>[/quote]<br><br>You're terrible.... : ;D<br><br>I HAVEN'T had it done, so to read all of this is good for me, too. I can't hit the broad side of a barn, let alone SEE the broad side of a barn without my glasses or contacts and sometimes it's a pain in the butt--gotta love the flaming white raccoon eyes in the summertime from glasses. I've considered eye surgery too, just haven't gotten around to looking into it, so this is all great to hear.
Old 05-27-2003, 01:39 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[quote author=Javaluva link=board=10;threadid=15130;start=0#142565 date=1054054690]You're terrible.... : ;D[/quote]<br><br> ;D :-*
Old 05-27-2003, 09:00 PM
Banned

20/200 + to 20/15

2 1/2 years ago got PRK. Same correction to the cornea, different way of accessing it. No flap to come loose with PRK.<br><br>Had some ghosting and haloing for a few months after the surgery, then it all faded away. Might still be a little more sensitive to bright light than I was prior but I can't remember. <br><br>Best thing since sliced bread!! And mine was free - part of a study for aviators. I would recommend it!