Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Anyone ever worked with styrofoam

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone ever worked with styrofoam

My wife is looking at starting an internet vintage clothing enterprise and will be requiring some type of support system for hanging her clothing. After throwing out various ideas like wood dummies, wire cages, etc. the best thing appears to be those mannequins.
I have used blue insulation styrofoam to carve marker buoys for use in fishing my honey holes. When I spray painted them chartreuse orange they seemed to fizzle a little, was okay for fishing but my wife has higher standards .
Was wondering if there is any other types of styrofoam, my intent is to use it as a carving medium after glueing sections together. I figure my various sanders will be my carving tools, I really enjoy making a mess that I won't have to clean up . Curious as to finishing them off (reading it back kinda sounds wierd), she wants a black finish in order to enhance the clothing being displayed. Any input would be appreciated, for I adhere to this golden rule "if she is happy I am happy"
My other option is driving to Toronto's garmet district and purchase 3 mannequins, throw them into the back of my CTD, and cruise on back on the QEW , can just imagine the looks on all the rubber neckers, legs and arms sticking out. Wonder how far I would get.
Long live the long weekend, and a good boss. darn those smilies
Old 04-27-2006, 09:31 PM

Sorry I don't have an anwer, but the banner ad below your post does
*EDIT: there was a banner add for mannequins
(Also, would you qualify to ride in the high occupancy vehicle lane with 3 mannequins?)

what about womannequins?
~Rob
Old 04-27-2006, 09:33 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jack Bad Idea With The Links!!! For A Family Site....
Old 04-27-2006, 09:39 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
Originally Posted by hotdram

what about womannequins?
~Rob
Those are available... and they're anatomically correct!
Old 04-27-2006, 09:59 PM

Merci beaucoup hotdram, once I read it back out load to my lovely wife, she immediately burst into , needless to say I believe I have rectified the situation.

Again cordial salutations and thanks for the you know us new guys 'again I tink Im out de controle"

Old 04-27-2006, 10:35 PM

Just coat it with a thin layer of epoxy. Then paint how ever you want. How many are you making? You could carve one and make a mold. Then make as many as you like from fiber glass.

Randy
Old 04-27-2006, 10:47 PM

You can use the "pink" foam insulation you buy in sheets at HomeDepot. It is better than styrofoam and paint doesn't bother it. You can cut it with a utility knife and glue it together with "liquid nail" or any of the construction glue you use in caulk guns.
Old 04-27-2006, 10:50 PM

Thanks for the fibreglass tip very good idea "newriverspecon", I could create a perfect size ???? .

Will look into HD "BLord"for that type of foam, again gentlemen thank you for your trusted input, all that diesel fume has to be good for "quel'que chose".

Unfortunately for those putting up with my banter, the libations of Blue Light tend to make more creative , unfortunately I have many projects like my heirloom tomatoes (aiming for a 4lb'er) and cukes. When I was a kid my Mom operated 3 8m x 30m greenhouses, had a lot of fun growing cukes in a Coke bottle. Had to make sure no moisture got captured, otherwise you eventually had perfect Coke shaped cuke, in a bottle, of course never told anyone my secret . Was 14 and believe me the bottled cukes where worth a heck of a lot more than bagful. Unfortunately did not have the foresight to plant hundreds of Coke bottles, forgive the "philo" but we never see the big picture in our youth, the things you learn along the way.
Have done fibreglass repair to my Freighter canoe, crude but watertight, shouldn't be to hard to produce some FG replicas, hmmmm "Walleyes or Dores" long live catch and release, want my future bambinos to have the experience to catch fish like I did growing up.
Any input appreciated, as her ears have perked up to the suggestion on FG.

Cheers Gentlemen
Old 04-27-2006, 11:01 PM

Instead of using a utility knife or a sander to shape it .... think about getting one of those electric carving knives like you can get to slice the Thanksgiving Day turkey or your Christmas ham.

They will make a smoother cut, lots less mess than sanding and much safer than the little utility blades.

I have seen people use them for trimming foam at upholstery shops ... really hip little trick !!

Might want to be careful what you spray on them of color ... it coupld bleed into the material of the clothes that you are hanging on it.

PISTOL
Old 04-27-2006, 11:11 PM

im just thoughing out some ideas here but i saw on a monster house they had 2 poles with a wire between them that got hot and cut the styrofoam smooth, just thoughing out ideas, srry if im on the wrong subject
Old 04-27-2006, 11:13 PM

Very good idea PistolWhipt, have an electric fillet knife for my shore lunches will try it out in my carving endevours.

Had a bad experience with wire and batteries Texaspower19 when I was a kid. My buddy's father had a battery charging and yep just bubbling and burping away all those H2 bubbles. Unbeknowing to us the power of this unique element, we promptly started another rite of passage tough guy thing. Stripping sections of "lead wire" (his dad was also a miner) we would attach one end to one terminal and the other end to you know what however resisted the searing pain of charring of the flesh the longest would win, needless to say we both lost, for within minutes of this reckless behaviour the battery literally exploded.
His dad ran in realized what happend and hosed us down with water.
Somehow by the grace of God, nothing happened to our faces, eyes etc.
Never told my parents, until years later. My Mom then mentioned that explained all the holes that mysteriously appeared in my jeans in shirt following a wash. I am sure its a great idea but I have very bad luck with electricity, I am an earth sign "Taurus" and in my defence whenever I do get buzzed I blame it on that .
Old 04-28-2006, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by texaspower19
im just thoughing out some ideas here but i saw on a monster house they had 2 poles with a wire between them that got hot and cut the styrofoam smooth, just thoughing out ideas, srry if im on the wrong subject

I bought a couple of those things for my kids when I was overseas. They operated off of 2 AA batteries and I believe that the wire was a small guitar string. Doesn't have to get real hot to cut styrofoam. Sure gave a nice clean cut too.

I forgot all about those things ... I think I had more fun with it than my kids did .

PISTOL
Old 04-28-2006, 10:26 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When using styrofoam, stay away from any solvent based paint or glue. Either of them will dissolve the foam, that is what makes your buoys "fizzle". Use water based paint or glue, and your troubles will be over. If you want to fill the foam to make a smooth surface, use a water based putty, like fixall or even drywall mud.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:35 AM
Urban Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My other option is driving to Toronto's garmet district and purchase 3 mannequins, throw them into the back of my CTD, and cruise on back on the QEW , can just imagine the looks on all the rubber neckers, legs and arms sticking out. Wonder how far I would get.

Off subject but I once killed a wild hog and loaded it in the back of the truck. Got blood all over the tailgate and bumper while loading it.
I will not go into a lot of details but I got pulled over by the PD and was almost looking down the barrel of a glock 9mm (looked about 2 inches around) before they figured out that I had not murdered someone
Old 04-28-2006, 11:09 PM

Just curious as to how similar to pork that would be bigfoot, I love wild game, especially spicy deer sausage, very good with Blue Light.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever worked with styrofoam