Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Anyone ever buy/move a peer&beam home? An old one

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone ever buy/move a peer&beam home? An old one

We have some land that we plan on selling sometime within 10 yrs either subdivided or to a developer(trailer park likely in that part of town). I'll have to buyout half from my brother plus an addtional portion that attaches to the hwy. Paying those notes I don't see myself buying another yuppie$ house in a suburb without strapping myself down right now.

I'd like to find an old house they are moving/selling from some of the parts of houston that they are gentrifying... Then put another 10 or so grand into making it "farmy" or "charmy" for that area and put it up where our aged mobile home is sitting (that we use on the weekends up there).... live in it for 5+ years.

1400-1700 sq ft structurally fine is what I'd be looking for.

Insolate it like foam in the walls stuff.
Modestly upgrade the kitchen and bathroom(s).
Paint her up.
Ensure the roof is good.
Ensure the windows are good.
Flooring I can get at cost and installation of that and tile work free.
Heating/AC can get a hook up on that stuff too.

So what are the price of these houses and price of moving/setting them? Anyone do anything similar?

I plan on using the downpayment money from the yuppie home on this project.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:06 AM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

I am not much of a builder but I was involved with moving a small (20 X 20) building with my brother inlaw. It was on (I believe) a Pier and beam foundation because it was a little swampy where he got it from. We put it on a block and pad foundation on his property. He got the house for free provided he moved off the property rapidly. It only cost him $1100 to have it moved the 1/2 mile to his place. Only problem was, he didnt have the new foundation ready so the guys who moved it basically set it down on some old wood and we had to rent some jacks to get it back up and put the new pads and blocks under it. It wasnt as simple as it sounds but five years later its a nice little place.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:12 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Post and beam constructed buildings are very difficult to try and move. You are much better finding something more conventional or build from scratch.

Bob
Old 07-14-2008, 09:38 PM

Well I meant a house that sits on blocks. I thought that was a peer and beam house....
Old 07-14-2008, 11:38 PM

Something like 25'-30'x45'-50' around that area, like 1400ft
Old 07-15-2008, 07:35 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I've never moved one or been involved in one, but I have heard of many that give away a house to be moved. I personally know a doctor in our town that bought a real fancy place, gave the house away to whoever was willing to move it and had a real fancy place built, and the guy across the highway from me is working on a remodel right now on a house someone gave him if he paid to haul it away.

In the suburbs around Memphis where the wifes aunt lives, this is a common practice. Some lots are woth more if the old house is taken off of it.

Keep your eyes and ears open. Watch Craigslist. I've seen several go by for free if you pay the moving costs.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:03 PM

yeah that's what I'm talking about.