Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Anyone else watching the China/Taiwan situation?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 06:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This just in....
http://drudgereport.com/flash3rc.htm
When they're thru with Taiwan, are we next?
Old 03-17-2005, 07:06 PM
Banned

We don't want China to deal with North Korea because we really don't want China to gain any power...

Ideally, we'd crush the snake in the egg through our upholding of a treaty or pact with Taiwan.

China may very well be the next superpower. It seems that they have the patriotism that America has lost somewhere. I am definitely a war hawk with China. Now, if they fix their currency (or rather "un"fix it), then things could be salvageable. And logic states that they will do that themselves, and they slowly already are. If there is anything to pray for, it is democracy in China. A revolution will be required to avoid war, be it economic or shooting.

And allies we would have many of. With their funky economy, I'm sure we will have them surrounded by Japan and probably Russia as well as the EU. It very well could turn into World War III. Actually, North Korea may very well end up as an ally.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Begle1
China may very well be the next superpower. It seems that they have the patriotism that America has lost somewhere. I am definitely a war hawk with China. Now, if they fix their currency (or rather "un"fix it), then things could be salvageable. And logic states that they will do that themselves, and they slowly already are. If there is anything to pray for, it is democracy in China. A revolution will be required to avoid war, be it economic or shooting.
OK, no flame here, but what is it with the states that control their currency? You've mentioned that in 3 or 4 of your posts in this thread. Do you advocate "nuking" any country who regulates their currecny? There are lots of countries that use a fixed exchange rate system vs the free floating (market based) system. It's not some evil plot or anything....
Old 03-17-2005, 09:28 PM
Banned

But it is an evil plot. If you intentionally set your currency value supra-low, it allows your products to be supra-cheaper than anybody elses in exchange for intentionally allowing yourself to live in supra-poverty. It forces everybody else to do the same or be ran out of buisness, and in the case with China- they can run a whole lotta people out of buisness if they wanted to. It is probably the greatest sin one country can commit against they rest of the world. It's what those of us in my head call "human-hiving".

For the ancient example; it's like how the Japenese manufacturers started to dump bikes on the market to drive Harley out of buisness... While I would die for their right to do that, I would also die for our right to continue to live as we have been doing it for the past 200 years... But then again, my shrink says I have minor suicidal tendencies, so it just so happens that I would die for a good Philly Cheese-steak. For a price that I can afford.
Old 03-18-2005, 08:58 AM

The US Dollar is dying on the vine. Falling just like the Venezuelan Bolivar and the Russian Ruble. Sooner or later we will again embrace gold. It's the only viable currency that makes any sense. It's either that or diamonds. But, I sincerely doubt you'll see us ever using the Euro here.

The sheiks are selling oil for Euros and Gold Dinars, not US Dollars. China & Japan are actively purchasing all of our US Treasury securities. As much as they can lay their hands on. When they own enough of our debt, the full court press will be applied. Then watch out!

I don't particularly like what the future holds. Can we honestly think we can fight on two fronts as we did in WWII? Then what happens at home? Who will defend the homeland, if everyone is overseas?
Old 03-18-2005, 05:09 PM
Banned

Well, we will have allies against China.
And a faith-based economy isn't the best thing for trade.

I just pray that we do something before it's too late. We need to stop worrying about what other countries think about us and start worrying about ourselves. That is the essence of nationalism, and without national pride a country will fail. Like Poland. We need our own unity to outrank "peace" or "fairness" and such and start unabashedly doing as many things as possible out of our own greed.

People assume that America is powerful for good. Power is zero-sum, and that is what Democrats and other idealist liberals do not realize. If we wish to remain in a situation where we can do what is best for ourselves, we must not conceed any power in the foriegn policy. Doing so allows other countries to gain advantage and results in the U.S.'s power weakening. We must pursue our own self-intrest and stop caring about everybody elses or we will outlive the U.S. as a major power. (Well, at least our nukes will make us always at least as powerful as Britan, but exactly how powerful is Britain?)

We've been on top of the pile for 100 years. How many countries have been utterly dominating for 100 years and continued to fall? A whole bunch of them.

Marines just reported that they failed to meet enlistment quotas for the first time in a decade, on another note...
Old 03-18-2005, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by TireHauler04
Why don't we just them duke it out themselves, rather than risk more innocent U.S. Military lives? If it gets to the point where we NEED to step in, then sure. ..if nukes get involved then we might as well call it WW3 because then everyone's hand will be in the cookie jar.
I believe we have a treaty with Taiwan where we agree to defend them against ChiCom agression.